Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2019, 06:20 PM

63,816 posts, read 40,099,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Take away the threat of eternal torment and Christianity is rendered meaningless because there's nothing for Jesus to save us from.
Not so, Thrill. We humans would not have become connected to God's consciousness without the accomplishment of the very human Jesus - God's Firstborn Son of Man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 06:39 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
I have to agree with that part.

eternal torment can go away and Jesus taken in a non literal manor can still help people.

Old 06-20-2019, 06:45 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Quote:
I have my own unique criteria for rendering Christianity completely void: forget about the resurrection. It can neither be proved or disproved so that's a stalemate. What CAN be proved however, is that Jesus NEVER said "...that whosoever [doesn't] believe in him shall perish and [NOT] have everlasting life" (John 3:16)and "If you don't believe in me you will die in your sins." John 8:24

Take away the threat of eternal torment and Christianity is rendered meaningless because there's nothing for Jesus to save us from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Not so, Thrill. We humans would not have become connected to God's consciousness without the accomplishment of the very human Jesus - God's Firstborn Son of Man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I have to agree with that part.

eternal torment can go away and Jesus taken in a non literal manor can still help people.

Yeah, I think you misunderstood me, Mystic. You're saying we need eternal torment. But you've stated in the past it's a false doctrine. I can go with your belief that some people need Jesus Christ. He's like a life raft for them in a sea of troubled waters. That's perfectly okay to use Jesus as a crutch. But lots of people don't need him and they certainly don't need eternal torment in hell. So why not just pitch the whole thing?

Old 06-20-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I think you misunderstood me, Mystic. You're saying we need eternal torment. But you've stated in the past it's a false doctrine. I can go with your belief that some people need Jesus Christ. He's like a life raft for them in a sea of troubled waters. That's perfectly okay to use Jesus as a crutch. But lots of people don't need him and they certainly don't need eternal torment in hell. So why not just shcan the whole thing?
I can't argue with that logic either.

and lets face it, if so many of them weren't running around telling people they are less human unless they believe in Jesus as savor and we are born evil and need jesus, we wouldn't even ...

Old 06-20-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I think you misunderstood me, Mystic. You're saying we need eternal torment. But you've stated in the past it's a false doctrine. I can go with your belief that some people need Jesus Christ. He's like a life raft for them in a sea of troubled waters. That's perfectly okay to use Jesus as a crutch. But lots of people don't need him and they certainly don't need eternal torment in hell. So why not just pitch the whole thing?
No, Thrill, you misunderstand me. There is no eternal torment, period. But our purpose in existing is to join God after our death and NONE of us were achieving it. THAT is why we needed Jesus. He connected us all to God by His achievement of perfect resonance (IDENTITY) with God's consciousness, something we were very far from achieving and still are.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
No, Thrill, you misunderstand me. There is no eternal torment, period. But our purpose in existing is to join God after our death and NONE of us were achieving it. THAT is why we needed Jesus. He connected us all to God by His achievement of perfect resonance (IDENTITY) with God's consciousness, something we were very far from achieving and still are.
or people like jesus?

Old 06-20-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
or people like Jesus?
Yes, Arach. We are all supposed to try to come as close as we can to the same consciousness, but our imperfections no longer interfere thank to His perfection (Grace).

Old 06-20-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Yes, Arach. We are all supposed to try to come as close as we can to the same consciousness, but our imperfections no longer interfere thank to His perfection (Grace).
I don't agree with that last part. they matter, but with good teachers or guides, like jesus, we can lesson the hurt our imperfections cause to others.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:39 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times
Quote:
I don't agree with that last part. they matter, but with good teachers or guides, like jesus, we can lesson the hurt our imperfections cause to others.
Our struggles and persecutions are what bring us to a state of humility. Humility is what allows people to have faith.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
I don't agree with that last part. they matter, but with good teachers or guides, like Jesus, we can lessen the hurt our imperfections cause to others.
Yes, our imperfections have consequences and we will all have to "reap whatever we sow" but at least our species has achieved its fundamental purpose - to connect and join with God after death, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality