Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2017, 05:49 PM

63,899 posts, read 40,172,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
Well if God thought it was important and he took the time to write 10 commandments why did he not take the time to write the whole thing out?
What is seldom mentioned is that Moses did NOT go up the mountain alone. Joshua went with him. Joshua was a stone mason (hint, hint). Who do you think actually chiseled the stone tablets?

Old 08-18-2017, 06:33 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,219,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
What is seldom mentioned is that Moses did NOT go up the mountain alone. Joshua went with him. Joshua was a stone mason (hint, hint). Who do you think actually chiseled the stone tablets?

Old 08-18-2017, 07:59 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,054,329 times
Quote:
Oh, I don't know....what the TEXT says???

Exo. 24:1-2 And he said unto Moses, Come up unto the LORD, thou, and Aaron, Nadab, and Abihu, and seventy of the elders of Israel; and worship ye afar off.

2) And MOSES ALONE shall come near the LORD: but they shall not come nigh; neither shall the people go up with him.

And Joshua was a general, not a stone mason.

Exo. 17:9 So Moses said to Joshua, “Choose men for us and go out, fight against Amalek. Tomorrow I will station myself on the top of the hill with the staff of God in my hand.” 10Joshua did as Moses told him, and fought against Amalek; and Moses, Aaron, and Hur went up to the top of the hill. 11So it came about when Moses held his hand up, that Israel prevailed, and when he let his hand down, Amalek prevailed. 12But Moses’ hands were heavy. Then they took a stone and put it under him, and he sat on it; and Aaron and Hur supported his hands, one on one side and one on the other. Thus his hands were steady until the sun set. 13So Joshua overwhelmed Amalek and his people with the edge of the sword.

Seriously: don't you ever get tired of swallowing and regurgitating lies? Peace

Old 08-18-2017, 08:45 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,938,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post

Exo. 24:1-2 And he said unto Moses, Come up unto the LORD, thou, and Aaron, Nadab, and Abihu, and seventy of the elders of Israel; and worship ye afar off.

2) And MOSES ALONE shall come near the LORD: but they shall not come nigh; neither shall the people go up with him.

Exo. 17:9 So Moses said to Joshua, “Choose men for us and go out, fight against Amalek. Tomorrow I will station myself on the top of the hill with the staff of God in my hand.” 10Joshua did as Moses told him, and fought against Amalek; and Moses, Aaron, and Hur went up to the top of the hill. 11So it came about when Moses held his hand up, that Israel prevailed, and when he let his hand down, Amalek prevailed. 12But Moses’ hands were heavy. Then they took a stone and put it under him, and he sat on it; and Aaron and Hur supported his hands, one on one side and one on the other. Thus his hands were steady until the sun set. 13So Joshua overwhelmed Amalek and his people with the edge of the sword.

Well, making (bad) jokes is one of da Dude's things, but honestly that's far better that wide eyed credulity at descriptions of the practice of magic.

Old 08-18-2017, 09:06 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,398,630 times
Quote:
WHY does that have ANY bearing on ANYTHING? You think thousands of rocks would have been easier to carry around, do you? Why weren't those extraneous writings you're pushing, written in stone then?

The 10 words were written on stone because they are written on the heart of man as his conscience. The rest was instruction on how to KEEP the 10 written, according to G-D'S standards. This is why the 10 words were placed in the Ark of the Covenant. Peace
Well what it tells me is that the 10 because they were written in stone are the only commandments that carry over to the new covenant and are fulfilled in loving God and each other.

Funny how Jesus summed up/instructed us on how to keep the 10 in two sentances and Moses need 5 whole books

Old 08-18-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:

Exodus 24:13King James Version (KJV)

13 And Moses rose up, and his minister Joshua: and Moses went up into the mount of God.
Quote:

Oh, and just exactly what army was he General over in Egypt?? He was indeed a stone mason in Egypt.

Old 08-19-2017, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Not lies, Rbbi, non-magical alternatives as my thread title says.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Well, making (bad) jokes is one of da Dude's things, but honestly that's far better than wide eyed credulity at descriptions of the practice of magic.
Especially in a thread that specifically decries magic.
Quote:
Well what it tells me is that the 10 because they were written in stone are the only commandments that carry over to the new covenant and are fulfilled in loving God and each other.
Funny how Jesus summed up/instructed us on how to keep the 10 in two sentences and Moses needed 5 whole books
Good point, pneuma.

Old 08-19-2017, 06:00 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,418,445 times
Quote:
Funny how Jesus summed up/instructed us on how to keep the 10 in two sentences
and Moses need 5 whole books
Well, shows our advancement! Yay!
Soon it may boil down to only one!
Oh my...and then, one day, we might not need ANY 'commandments'.

Old 08-19-2017, 06:36 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,938,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Well, shows our advancement! Yay!
Soon it may boil down to only one!
Oh my...and then, one day, we might not need ANY 'commandments'.
Well, to tell the truth, the one "Commandment" that Jesus gave us could hardly be called a commandment in the sense of earthly laws, since it does not involve specific actions like "No Right Turn," it's mor like a direction the Spirit will lead as we seek to follow. And you are right in that it is not something that was not contained in the "Ten Commandments" though and understanding of "neighbor" sort of waited for Jesus. The difference, of course is that the "New Commandment" is to be recognized as the WHOLE basis of the Way.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:27 AM

611 posts, read 281,765 times
Quote:
Does anyone find it odd besides me that in all of the bible only the 10 commandments are said to be written by the finger of God Himself and the 613+ other laws were suppose to be written by Moses?

What did God not have the time to write down all these other laws?

or

Maybe God did not think these other laws were all that important.
If you read this story closely, or let your mind just run through all that you have read in this story written in that book you will find a couple of places where after they had the ten commandments, Moses had some statutes and ordinances. I guess Moses had been talking to the God/god in his mind. Anyhow, God told Moses to go ahead and give those people his statutes and ordinances. Because they were a stiff-necked and...to put it into one sentence: Give my statutes and ordinances to those stiff-necked people that refuse to hear...

And the finger of our God wrote his updated -Law of the House- with his finger up in the sky, the heavens and the minds and hearts of those that can see: That Great Commandment: THOU SHALT LOVE THE LORD THY GOD WITH ALL THY HEART, AND WITH ALL THY SOUL, AND WITH ALL THY MIND. And the other is like unto an image of the first [orig. all in caps also]: THOU SHALT LOVE THY NEIGHBOR AS THYSELF. --Matt 22:36-40

And by now, 666 million more laws is probably a bad idea. Don't you think...me too

I think maybe the -House Law- is hard enough to deal with.
Some people have beliefs. and don't we all?
Some people have opinions. and don't we all?
And some people have truth. and it is good to know the difference.
I always let truth trump...I feel a different trumpism coming on...LOVE...love.....lo......l........nevermind, it went away.

Good to see you had a question pneuma: "What did God not have the time to write down all these other laws?" What? Why did God not get up from his relaxing resting place? Was it necessary? no. did it do any good? no. Just look at the -Updated House Law- and see if he has to get up and write that upon your heart, your mind, and your very living being with that finger of God...that would be impossible, right? Impossible, but true? Who knows...anyhow, truth all we really need. IMO.

BTW - I read the sticky guidelines. Spirituality, Science, Reality, and Truth in one bag has some elastic thin line it could cross...maybe I can manage that. But they all go together in my book. That is a thin line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality