Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2017, 07:52 AM

611 posts, read 281,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
Even when I showed her the law did not come until 430 years after Abraham according to the scriptures she still maintain Abraham has the law and God just repeated it to Moses 430 years later so Moses could write it down.
I know where you based what you said upon, and why. But what does she base her view upon?

How does the law work? Do we make a law before we know what a lie is and have no need of one, or do we make a law after we encounter liars and have a need for one? We never had a set of vehicle laws until vehicles came along...did you get a drivers license before cars existed or after? We need no laws about flying carpets until a flying carpet comes along. Had no one sinned, we would need no laws. And to me sin = not good. Harm.

IMO.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:06 AM

611 posts, read 281,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Read Acts 21 beginning with verse 18. And the point was, that Paul kept the law, as did the other Jewish believers. Peace
First, seek the kingdom of God is what Christ said we should do first. How do we do that they asked? Keep the 10 commandments if you want to inherit the kingdom of God.

And the laws of circumcision and purification and eating or not eating came to amount to what? And after Paul seemingly did what they requested they wanted to murder him. For what? He taught differently?

And my point is, it all came to no account.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:13 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,927,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auralmack View Post
I know where you based what you said upon, and why. But what does she base her view upon?

How does the law work? Do we make a law before we know what a lie is and have no need of one, or do we make a law after we encounter liars and have a need for one? We never had a set of vehicle laws until vehicles came along...did you get a drivers license before cars existed or after? We need no laws about flying carpets until a flying carpet comes along. Had no one sinned, we would need no laws. And to me sin = not good. Harm.

IMO.
You are right. What Rbbi1 is missing is that Laws are made for those who do not have the one thing that makes them a REAL part of community: a commitment TO community. If you WANT what is best for your community and realize any temporary advantage to you has bad effects for your long-term good when community is harmed, you realize that the "lie" or whatever thing you think holds that temporary advantage is not good for YOU. What the emotional component does is give you the strength to live what you realize intellectually. The problem is that so many people never come to this FAITH so, when the Hebrew community became a nation they had to deal with that fallout.
The problem with thinking that ANY law is "perfect" is that no LAW can give that commitment to community that IS faith.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:17 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,048,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
You are right. What Rbbi1 is missing is that Laws are made for those who do not have the one thing that makes them a REAL part of community: a commitment TO community. If you WANT what is best for your community and realize any temporary advantage to you has bad effects for your long-term good when community is harmed, you realize that the "lie" or whatever thing you think holds that temporary advantage is not good for YOU. What the emotional component does is give you the strength to live what you realize intellectually. The problem is that so many people never come to this FAITH so, when the Hebrew community became a nation they had to deal with that fallout.
The problem with thinking that ANY law is "perfect" is that no LAW can give that commitment to community that IS faith.

RBBI, who is right here ....thinks that you should tell the Jews they have no sense of "community", because they still have the laws. : popcorn: Peacce

Old 08-16-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
My eyes are open rbbi, I am surprised your Jewish teachers never taught you the difference between the 7 Noahide laws ( the laws given to all humanity) and the Mosaic laws (the laws given only to Israel ).

You might want to ask your Jewish teachers about those 7 laws or look them up yourself

I know about the laws. And you, who claim to be "spiritual only now" by not needing a book, might want to consider that with the revelation of Christ, the whole became a letter to the soul, spirit and body of man. That's right, ALL OF IT. Peace

Old 08-16-2017, 10:43 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,391,988 times
Quote:
I know about the laws. And you, who claim to be "spiritual only now" by not needing a book, might want to consider that with the revelation of Christ, the whole became a letter to the soul, spirit and body of man. That's right, ALL OF IT. Peace
Only the unlearned need a book, as I keep telling you there are scriptures in the bible but not everything in the bible is scripture and not all scripture is in the bible.

The Holy Spirit via the mind of Christ showing the fruits of the Holy Spirit is all any one needs to know what is scripture and what is not.

We have already seen in the other thread you disregard whole books of scripture even though Jesus and Paul quoted from them. You believe a man made canon which has changed over time ( God must not have known what He really wanted in the bible.... until man told Him)over what the fruits of the Spirit reveal.

You go ahead and believe what you will but stop condemning others for wanting to follow the Holy Spirit via the fruits of the Spirit as our guide, which is the ONLY guide Jesus said anything about.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:51 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,927,990 times
Quote:
RBBI, who is right here ....thinks that you should tell the Jews they have no sense of "community", because they still have the laws. : popcorn: Peacce
You MUST be right, because I'm sure that ALL the Jews do have that sense of community and NONE of them ever act against the best interests of the community.....or not.

Once again, I never said that laws are not a requirement of government, I said they are not a requirement of the followers of the Way Jesus taught. Look at the last line of the listing of "the fruit of the Spirit" in Galatians 5

"Against which there ARE no laws."

Old 08-16-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auralmack View Post

IMO.
I agree. However I see a commandment as something more then just a law and does not strictly deal with sin

A commandment is a law. this would deal with sin.

A commandment is also a warning of what can happen if one breaks a commandment. This type would be put into place for our protection, if you do such and such this will happen. Kind of like telling your kids not to play on the freeway.

A commandment is a promise of what is to come. If one is walking in the spirit one will love God with all their hearts, mind and strength.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
You MUST be right, because I'm sure that ALL the Jews do have that sense of community and NONE of them ever act against the best interests of the community.....or not.

Once again, I never said that laws are not a requirement of government, I said they are not a requirement of the followers of the Way Jesus taught. Look at the last line of the listing of "the fruit of the Spirit" in Galatians 5

"Against which there ARE no laws."
"Against which there ARE no laws

Needed to be highlighted, underlined and bolded

Old 08-16-2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Only the unlearned need a book, as I keep telling you there are scriptures in the bible but not everything in the bible is scripture and not all scripture is in the bible.

The Holy Spirit via the mind of Christ showing the fruits of the Holy Spirit is all any one needs to know what is scripture and what is not.

We have already seen in the other thread you disregard whole books of scripture even though Jesus and Paul quoted from them. You believe a man made canon which has changed over time ( God must not have known what He really wanted in the bible.... until man told Him)over what the fruits of the Spirit reveal.

You go ahead and believe what you will but stop condemning others for wanting to follow the Holy Spirit via the fruits of the Spirit as our guide, which is the ONLY guide Jesus said anything about.

"Only the unlearned need a book", is ridiculous, lol....so much so, it's not worth debating.

No it's not. He also said to test the spirits, and how, which you patently ignore in favor of your own "test". Peace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality