Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2018, 10:56 AM

22,267 posts, read 19,259,001 times

Advertisements

spir·it·u·al
relating to or affecting the human spirit or soul as opposed to material or physical things.
nonmaterial, incorporeal, intangible, immaterial
relating to religion or religious belief.

re·li·gion
a particular system of faith and worship.
beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs

if a person rejects and discards that which is sacred and holy,
then the conversation is simply discussing the mundane and the secular.

sa·cred
connected with God (or the gods) or dedicated to a religious purpose

ho·ly
dedicated or consecrated to God or a religious purpose; sacred.
consecrated, hallowed, sanctified, revered, divine, blessed
morally and spiritually excellent.

Old 10-14-2018, 11:03 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,269,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
Personally, I don't think her science talk is inaccurate or off-base. Her metaphysics might have a stronger materialist flavor than I'm comfortable with, but that is exactly the sort of differences we are here to discuss.
Correct! Nothing I posted about science is inaccurate.

It's glaringly obvious to me who is not scientifically literate in these forums.

When I've discussed science I am referring to what occurs here on earth. Not what's occurring in the Large Hadron Collider, or a Black Hole or inside a Star. This is why Newton's gravity only works in certain situations such as here on earth under normal earth conditions.

Instead of discussing it as I don't want to appear to be ignoring the mods request I will instead post a link.

My apologies in advance Mensa/MighyQ if posting a link goes against the rules. Please edit it out if it does.

Ask an Astronomer
Quote:
BTW: As I've mentioned elsewhere, I think it is unfortunate that science talk is restricted just because this is a spirituality forum. I can see why it would be banned in many of the threads within the forum insofar as science would be off-topic for those threads, but a spirituality forum, in general, ought to have some threads wherein science is fully on-topic (because you're not really allowed to talk much about spiritual implications in the science forums). I'd say that atheism is a legitimate spiritual path, and a key aspect of atheism is rejecting theism on the basis of scientific theories.
Brilliant! In fact it was science that helped me to awaken to the New Age concepts that took a tiny bit of science and ran with it to come up with statements such as "time is an illusion, or "matter is an illusion, "there is only energy and light and nothing more", "the Universe has consciousness" and many more things that you can find in spiritual books that are used to push a spiritual message.

I was in the midst of my 1st undergrad degree and heavily into reading every spiritual book that resonated with me. However I began to think about some of the things that I read in those books that just did not sit right with me. It was my science education that helped me dissect the spiritual teachings about matter and energy and light and consciousnesses. Additionally science helped me to understand and confirmed many of the things I dabbled in such as Lucid Dreaming, Meditation and Yoga.

All of the things I mentioned are both spiritual and all of them touch up on science. All science is is a process about discovering how the natural world works. Many spiritual practices have been confirmed with science.

I find it impossible to have discussions about energy, matter, light, Lucid Dreaming, Outer Body Projection, Cause and Effect, Coincidences, Developing a strong intuition/6th sense, or Meditation without being able to discuss the science that explains them.
Quote:
This thread, in particular, is about finding a non-magical theism that is not too wildly incompatible with Christianity. This focus on "non-magical" puts science (aka "naturalistic philosophy") squarely in the limelight.

Basically, there ought to be some threads in a spirituality forum were atheist spirituality - which tends to be science-centered and metaphysically materialistic - can play a major role and, it seems to me that the this ought to be one of those threads. Overall I appreciate that the mods have been pretty tolerant of science in this thread but, if I were them, I'd be tempted to let this thread (and a few similar threads in this forum) be "open carry" zones where atheists can strut around with all the scientist/materialist weapons they like. The only restriction, I'd say, is that that we need to keep showing how these scientific concepts positively relate to spirituality. In other words, don't just tear down theist spirituality, but show us what spiritual implications atheism can bring to the table.
Thank you this is brilliant again!

Last edited by Matadora; 10-14-2018 at 11:29 AM..

Old 10-14-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
lmao, the stuff you cut and past is right. the stuff you say yourself is wrong. you don't even understand that what you link us to supports what i said and shows your stance incomplete at best.
Actually the link I posted supports everything I've stated. The link I posted does not support anything you stated. It 100% supports what I stated.

I challenge you to show me where I've cut and pasted anything. Inserting a link for other's to read is not cut and pasting. It's called inserting a hyperlink.

I also challenge you to show me where I've posted anything that's not accurate. Sitting behind a computer screen pointing the finger and blurting out wrong all the time is infantile behavior. Instead act like a mature adult and discuss instead of blurting out "wrong"

What exactly was I "wrong" about?

Don't you find it odd that your the only one who makes this claim against me and everyone else? Yes you are the ONLY one. I think you should take a good long look in the mirror.

Old 10-14-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
atheism brings no "spiritual implications" to the table because they deny and reject spirit soul, and the non-physical realm. it's that simple.
Snip...

No it's not that simple or that black and white.

You are using an outdated view of spirituality. Over time the term spiritual has evolved into what it is today where you have many people who say that they are spiritual but not religious. I am one of those people.

Many vague words such as spirituality are never set in dictionary stone. Words like that evolve as humans evolve.

Old 10-14-2018, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Snip...

No it's not that simple or that black and white.

You are using an outdated view of spirituality. Over time the term spiritual has evolved into what it is today where you have many people who say that they are spiritual but not religious. I am one of those people.

Many vague words such as spirituality are never set in dictionary stone. Words like that evolve as humans evolve.
so tell us what you mean by "spiritual" ?
according to you, what is the "spirit" or "soul" in a human?

in your own words. no links to articles. no cut and paste. and nothing from a science article or science book.

for clarity. so it's not "vague."

Old 10-14-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
so tell us what you mean by "spiritual" ?
according to you, what is the "spirit" or "soul" in a human?
Spirituality is anything that helps us develop and grow into a higher state of consciousness in our existence. It's connecting with the Earth and Cosmos all the unseen energies that all living things on this earth radiate as well as what the Cosmos radiates.

It's focusing on our own vision of creating higher purpose in our lives and avoiding being conditioned by religion since religion stifles spiritual growth and development.

Spirituality is freedom from conditioning. It's about self reflection and deep introspection. It's practicing mental and physical techniques that helps people achieve higher states of consciousness and leads them to discover their higher purpose. Spirituality helps people break the bonds of illusion and conditioning...which in turn help people to live their lives with more joy, peace, harmony and love.

IMO the existence that humans exist in today ALL over the earth is unfortunate as the system we exist in is not from a position of love or harmony. This is why I think so many humans are suffering and the reason we see so much horror and bad behaviors all over this earth. Humanity has built an existence in this world that was not founded on love or harmony and the invention of religion has played a major role in this. The oppressive nature of religion has hurt humanity for centuries and unfortunately it continues into the 21st Century.

Last edited by Matadora; 10-14-2018 at 12:01 PM..

Old 10-14-2018, 11:47 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,210,941 times
Quote:
Spiritual is anything that helps us develop and grow into a higher state of consciousness in our existence. It's connecting with the Earth and Cosmos all the unseen energies that all living things on this earth radiate as well as what the Cosmos radiates.

It's focusing on our own vision of creating higher purpose in our lives and avoiding being conditioned by religion since religion stifles spiritual growth and development.

Spiritually is freedom from conditioning. It's about self reflection and deep introspection. It's practicing mental and physical techniques that helps people achieve higher states of consciousness and leads them to discover their higher purpose. Spiritual helps people break the bonds of illusion and conditioning...which in turn help people to live their lives with more joy, peace, harmony and love.

Good post.

Sadly, some people think spirituality is only found in mouldy old pamphlets scribed thousands of years ago by anonymous, primitive people.

Old 10-14-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Spiritual is anything that helps us develop and grow into a higher state of consciousness in our existence. It's connecting with the Earth and Cosmos all the unseen energies that all living things on this earth radiate as well as what the Cosmos radiates.

Spiritually is freedom from conditioning. It's about self reflection and deep introspection. It's practicing mental and physical techniques that helps people achieve higher states of consciousness and leads them to discover their higher purpose. Spiritual helps people break the bonds of illusion and conditioning.
unseen energies - Chi is an unseen energy; the non physical human soul is an unseen energy; the Creator is an unseen energy; the Divine is an unseen energy; the life force that runs through everything animates all life and all the Universe is an unseen energy that many know as the Creator, that many call Chi, that many know as God.

Old 10-14-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Good post.
Thank you! I just added a tad more on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Sadly, some people think spirituality is only found in mouldy old pamphlets scribed thousands of years ago by anonymous, primitive people.
Yikes I hope not!

Old 10-14-2018, 01:40 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,599,441 times
Quote:
unseen energies - Chi is an unseen energy; the non physical human soul is an unseen energy; the Creator is an unseen energy; the Divine is an unseen energy; the life force that runs through everything animates all life and all the Universe is an unseen energy that many know as the Creator, that many call Chi, that many know as God.
lmao, exactly right. that's the problem with focussing on unknowns as the base. It tends to pit different beliefs against each other with "unseen" as the cat being tossed at each other. never really settling the issue.

The main problem, as I see it, with a strict religion is that they tend to tell people how they have to deal with the unseen. These "holy" texts, taken literally, tend to stunt people's spiritual growth.

religion is like a cruch, or a cast. A cast can hinder recovery after the bone is healed. A cruch can slow down a fast spitual runner. Not that some don't need a walking device the rest of their lives, but to force the cruch on others that can run, isn't fair.

religions tend to clip people's wings to stop them from flying free. If they let people fly, spiritually that is, we wouldn't even be here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality