Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 10:20 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,926,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
How do you know that? I'd love to see some survey or study results to confirm that.
Since you asked nicely, I've provided a study. The Pew Research Center, the gold standard of social research, tells us that 78% of non-religious people in America were raised as a member of a religion:

Why some Americans left religion behind | Pew Research Center

Quote:
I believe it's certainly possible that many atheists were raised in a religious environment--but there is no way of knowing that it got past attending a religious service once a year, or their parents simply claiming to be of a certain religion. In my experience, most atheists I've spoken to are in rebellion against religion in general, and are anything but open-minded. They have a bone to pick, and they hate religion. At least that's the "internet variety" of atheists.
The education system raises us as Christians even if our parents don't. And if regularly attending a religious service is what your measure of what makes a true Christian, then the number of actual Christians is significantly lower than previously thought.

Most Christians I speak to on the Internet are militant extremists, like the ones I see in this forum. But unlike you I don't draw conclusions about most Christians based upon that. Moderate Christians, just like moderate atheists, generally keep their beliefs to themselves.

As for the entire tolerance argument. Atheists (41) are just a single point ahead of Muslims (40) when it comes to the most disliked religious classification in America, with 51% of Americans claiming that they would be less likely to vote for an atheist. Where's the vast majority of atheists don't even discuss the issue of religion in a typical day.

10 facts about atheists | Pew Research Center
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 10:20 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,835,397 times
Quote:
Wow. I can tell I struck a nerve. Tolerant atheists, I see.
Troll logic.

Hur Hur u mad hur I win hurrrrr

Old 07-07-2017, 10:21 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,027,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Troll logic.

Hur Hur u mad hur I win hurrrrr
Wait...did you just condemn half the atheists on this forum?

Old 07-07-2017, 10:23 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,835,397 times
Quote:
Wait...did you just condemn half the atheists on this forum?
Nah just the ones that operate on the same dumba$$ logic as the statement you just made.

Old 07-07-2017, 11:40 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
You don't see the difference? I work from the text and show how it fatally contradicts itself and destroys its' own credibility.

Mystic has it all radioed to him by God. Debate is beside the point. Anyone disagreeing is just WRONG, You really didn't see a difference?

Also, I am always waiting to be proved wrong. Mystic KNOWS he is right on Faith. And since practically everyone else seems to disagree with him, he is the only one receiving God loud an clear. You really don't see a difference?

I suppose niot, because seeing anything that contradicts your particular theory is to be dismissed as lies atheists tell. You may not be a theist...yet..but your Think is.
lmao. repeat what i say back to me ... lmao

yeah. fundamentalist-think atheists.

you avoid, change, ignore, and minimize to fit a belief statement. I guess your not as bad as that runway mordofarant. but its still run of mill milli-think.

Old 07-07-2017, 12:15 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,350,704 times
Quote:
Well....DUH! Anyone that has ever been on an internet message board or read an article on social media can confirm that.

Atheists are less open-minded than religious people, study claims | The Independent
There is a difference between "being open minded," and having reached a firm conclusion. Atheists and agnostics tend to be considerably more knowledgeable about Christianity than the majority of individuals who consider themselves to be Christians are. Perhaps the fact that many atheists and agnostics have a better handle on what the Bible actually says, and most Christians actually only know what they think they believe rather than what Bible says, serves to explain why non believers find Christian claims and assumptions to be unrealistic and implausible.

Survey: Atheists, Agnostics Know More About Religion Than Religious
September 28, 2010 2:50 PM ET
The Pew Forum on Religious Religion and Public Life released a survey on religious knowledge today. Atheists and Agnostics scored higher on it than anyone else, closely followed by Jews and Mormons. All Christians, Protestants and Catholics, were far behind.

Why are Atheists and Agnostics better informed? The Los Angeles Times quotes one of the researchers who has a theory:

"American atheists and agnostics tend to be people who grew up in a religious tradition and consciously gave it up, often after a great deal of reflection and study," said Alan Cooperman, associate director for research at the Pew Forum.

"These are people who thought a lot about religion," he said. "They're not indifferent. They care about it."
Survey: Atheists, Agnostics Know More About Religion Than Religious : The Two-Way : NPR

Non religious people are not "closed minded." Having given religion considerable thought, they tend to have rejected religion with cause and have moved beyond religious claims to other intellectual pursuits.

Last edited by Tired of the Nonsense; 07-07-2017 at 12:30 PM..

Old 07-07-2017, 05:37 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
You don't see the difference? I work from the text and show how it fatally contradicts itself and destroys its' own credibility.
Mystic has it all radioed to him by God. Debate is beside the point. Anyone disagreeing is just WRONG, You really didn't see a difference?
Also, I am always waiting to be proved wrong. Mystic KNOWS he is right on Faith. And since practically everyone else seems to disagree with him, he is the only one receiving God loud an clear. You really don't see a difference? When you see Mystic...you have seen the father.
I don't know what it is that causes you to get things so wrong, Arq, but it is prevalent. When you see the Father in Jesus . . . you have seen the Father Mystic has encountered.

Old 07-07-2017, 08:25 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,069,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I don't know what it is that causes you to get things so wrong, Arq, but it is prevalent. When you see the Father in Jesus . . . you have seen the Father Mystic has encountered.
I have seen the Grandfather. And Jesus' grandchild is yet to come. ...Is what your statements sound like to any person not desperate to believe in such anthropomorphic visions.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 07-07-2017 at 08:35 PM..

Old 07-07-2017, 08:34 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,069,223 times
Quote:
Can you show me a single verse in the Bible that commands Christians to kill anyone?

Just one. I'll be waiting.
Then why do you kill so much?
Do you have two masters? One that orders Christians to kill and one that does not?
Why then the armies?
Why then the wars?
Why then the hate crimes and so much more?

Do you remember any stories from the bible where Jesus compares himself (in a good light) to a Fat Cat Trust-Fund Kid that gets an inheritance of a kingdom and wants high interest back from his "non-loan" loans? Then he says to his servants, kill my enemies before me.

Does a Bibliolater just gloss over that? It's in the jesus-gospel story titled Luke by largely arbitrary Catholic/Protestant Church tradition.

Quote:
"The results, in line with our rationale in the introduction, seem to question, to some extent, the global idea that rigidity and inflexibility characterize only religious believers but not nonbelievers. The results further suggest that, at least in secularized Western countries, where unbelief has progressively become normative, nonbelievers may be less socialized and less motivated to imagine, understand, and appreciate others’ perspectives."
what perspectives were these atheists supposed to imagine, understand, and appreciate? and how was that measured?
Quote:

In 3 secular countries, we compared nonbelievers to Christians on aspects of rigidity.

Non-believers were lower in self-reported dogmatism, i.e. certainty in beliefs.

But were higher in subtly measured intolerance of contradiction and myside bias

Results were similar for atheists and agnostics and across the three countries.

Religious believers seem to better perceive and integrate diverging perspectives
Integrate diverging perspectives? sounds like code-word for "sheer hypocrisy."

Quote:
"Are nonreligious people open-minded, flexible, and undogmatic? Previous research has investigated the links between religiosity, or specific forms of it, and social cognitive tendencies reflecting various aspects of closed-mindedness. The results regarding religious fundamentalism are clear and consistent (Rowatt, Shen, LaBouff, & Gonzalez, 2013). However, even common religiosity, that is being high vs. low on common religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices, often reflects closed-minded ways of thinking to some extent. Indeed, religiosity is, to a modest degree, characterized by dogmatism, defined as an inflexibility of ideas, unjustified certainty or denial of evidence contrary to one's own beliefs ( Moore and Leach, 2016 ; Vonk and Pitzen, 2016), the need for closure, i.e. the need for structure, order, and answers ( Saroglou, 2002), and, in terms of broader personality traits, low openness to experience, in particular low openness to values ( Saroglou, 2010). Experimental work provides some causal evidence, that religious beliefs increase when people are confronted with disorder, ambiguity, uncertainty, a lack of control, or a threat to self-esteem (Sedikides & Gebauer, 2014)."
Still, the growing conservative/tribalist trend in mere atheism (which is as vague as theism by itself) must be thoroughly cleaned up.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 07-07-2017 at 09:07 PM..

Old 07-07-2017, 10:49 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
I have seen the Grandfather. And Jesus' grandchild is yet to come. ...Is what your statements sound like to any person not desperate to believe in such anthropomorphic visions.
I was responding to Arq's statement: "When you see Mystic...you have seen the Father." It was meant to correct what he meant as a sarcastic statement about my certainty about God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality