Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 08:31 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,114,062 times

Advertisements

Well....DUH! Anyone that has ever been on an internet message board or read an article on social media can confirm that.

Atheists are less open-minded than religious people, study claims | The Independent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 08:40 AM

21,017 posts, read 19,515,711 times
Anyone that knows my ex knows he had NO open mind about anything!
God, politics, blue cheese...his opinions were written in stone and there is ''no God'.
But, damn, he was handsome.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:43 AM

17,164 posts, read 11,452,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Well....DUH! Anyone that has ever been on an internet message board or read an article on social media can confirm that.

Atheists are less open-minded than religious people, study claims | The Independent
"...in this study, the Christian samples may not have been fully representative of a highly religious population. These samples scored moderately on religiosity and were particularly "liberal" or "questers"..."

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...sts_undogmatic

Old 07-05-2017, 09:00 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,114,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
"...in this study, the Christian samples may not have been fully representative of a highly religious population. These samples scored moderately on religiosity and were particularly "liberal" or "questers"..."

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...sts_undogmatic
I get it. Rather than address the issue, you attack the source. Very open-minded of you.

Old 07-05-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
I get it. Rather than address the issue, you attack the source. Very open-minded of you.
Attack the source? LOL. I QUOTED the source.

Old 07-05-2017, 09:03 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,312,614 times
Quote:
A wise, open-minded journalist always examines the source.

And because she found something true which relates to the study, you call it an "attack."

How very open-minded of you.

Old 07-05-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
A wise, open-minded journalist always examines the source.

And because she found something true which relates to the study, you call it an "attack."

How very open-minded of you.

It relates to the study because it was written by the author OF the study.

Old 07-05-2017, 09:17 AM

2,001 posts, read 1,988,952 times
so most of the separation of church and state crowd are anti-christians?

Old 07-05-2017, 09:26 AM

50,138 posts, read 20,899,891 times
Quote:

There is a fundamental flaw in the reasoning here.

It is based on a failure to see the difference between factual true - or -not intrinsics and human conventions of negotiation.

Now, we have seen the eror before of 'let's compromise onn whether the sun rises in the east or the went and say it meets in the middle.

This is wrong. You don't compromise but find out which one is true. That's what we all do. And that is 'closed -minded intolerance' of atheism. Now, when you don't know, you say you don't know. You have a committee to thrash out an agreement they all agree on and say that must be the truth.

But this is what the Christians are doing in integrating the various perspectives. What they are actually doing is when faced with truths they can't deny without looking silly, ihey drop that claim or percedure or dogma so as to maintain credibility.

But this is just politics to avoid losing suppoert on the part of the churches and of course individual compromize with Truth they can no longer deny.

Yes - while science, skepticism and indeed atheism claims always to have an open mind, and Theist apologists make a big deal of this with 'science is always getting things wrong' while thy pride themselves on never changing their views and the XChurcjhes too pretending they are not changing anything, are always shifting their ground in order not to be left behind and on the sidelines by the truths or at least soundly argued views on ethics and humanist morality, and adapting their views to that.

This was a distressingly poorly thought out article or written by someone who didn't understand the subject and would rather rush into print than actually talk to an informed atheist. He could have done it in twenty minutes.

Of course, it might just be a journalist quoting or misquoting a study, or at least misunderstanding the facts behind it. It wouldn't be the first time the media has gone off half -cocked and half understanding what they were talking about.

Old 07-05-2017, 09:27 AM

14,373 posts, read 18,454,857 times
Well, if you build your life around science and empiricism, you're going to be less open-minded to the opinions of people who base their lives and values on "belief" and "feeling" rather than evidence.

It's like when my mother called me "stupid" because I told her I was an atheist. I calmly listed out my reasoning and the evidence for what I had arrived at, while she just shrieked back hysterically "I know what I believe!" Hard to keep an "open mind" around behavior like that. The best part was when she told me she didn't need to read the bible because she knew what she believed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality