Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2017, 11:19 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,946,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
I am curious. Can you explain the difference between a God that does not interact with mortal man, and a God who never existed to begin with? Because to me those two concepts appear to match up exactly.
From a subjective (individual) perspective one could ask 'What use is a God if He's not going to interact with his creation?" Good question. Only He knows. Myself, I cannot figure out why a God would set up such a system that includes such suffering and tragedy for the vast majority of humankind. I don't just mean disease and natural disasters but I also mean the deadly creatures like small spiders that bite us in the night and then we get Necrotizing fasciitis that causes us to die in agony after weeks of intense suffering. I have no idea why things are set up this way.

But the conclusion I cannot escape from is that the universe is so complex that it couldn't have come about by random chance. Even Einstein, an atheist, recognized this and so he hinted in his later writings that any God he believed in would have to be of the Deist variety. Then look at the complexity of DNA. One molecules has enough information in it to fill 100 volumes of an encyclopedia. This kind of complexity just doesn't arise by random mutation. I'll never believe that. So what's left? A God who's pretty powerful--powerful enough to create everything you see, but a God nevertheless who never gets involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2017, 12:39 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,767,902 times
You got the first bit right. The way it is done looks like evolutionary ways of everything trying to survive, without justice or fair play behind it.

Add to that the absence of anyn real sign of anyomne with a mind controlling nature, and you have Desitgod - at best.

What Einstein believed isn't much help. We know that he wasted a huge amount of time he could have spent on more useful work, trying to make his ordered cosmoc theory work after the discovery of Quantum. His Faith in "FGod" misled him and Quantum was right - and rather amusingly became itself 'evidence' for god 'sience cannot explain Quantum - therefore God". Yet's it's not the best of arguments and fortunately we don't hear it much, though Indeterminacy sometimes gets trotted out.

I can't agree with you about the amount of 'information" being too much for random mutation. After all a lot of the 'Information" is already there. You must be aware of how much subatomic 'Information' there is in just a pebble, and it's all ordered, working together. But nobody in their right mind would say a pebble is not the result of random chance.

Mutation is really a fairly simple change in the genome. It involves a lot of complexity, but so does a rock falling over a cliff and smashing. It doesn't need a Mind designing the occurrence.

You can of course say that you can't believe there isn't an intelligent mover behind it all. So long as you are giving no support to Organized religion, that isn't a problem for me at all.

I just want to explain why I see no good reason to be in agreement with your argument.

Old 07-15-2017, 01:11 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,661,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
I am curious. Can you explain the difference between a God that does not interact with mortal man, and a God who never existed to begin with? Because to me those two concepts appear to match up exactly.
Well...it is just basic logic.
If something doesn't exist, why would a descriptive title like "GOD" be given to it?
Sensibility dictates that you don't assign titles to things that do not exist at all.
THAT is the difference. THAT is how it doesn't "match up", in the least...let alone "exactly".
I thought any reasoning human knew that...but I guess not.

Old 07-15-2017, 01:18 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,173,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Well...it is just basic logic.
If something doesn't exist, why would a descriptive title like "GOD" be given to it?
Sensibility dictates that you don't assign titles to things that do not exist at all.
THAT is the difference. THAT is how it doesn't "match up", in the least...let alone "exactly".
I thought any reasoning human knew that...but I guess not.
We have numerous descriptive titles like, batman, Spider-Man, Santa clause, Mother Nature etc.....

Old 07-15-2017, 03:34 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,661,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
We have numerous descriptive titles like, batman, Spider-Man, Santa clause, Mother Nature etc.....
Thsoe are "names" not "titles".
If a character did not exist, in any way...would you ever title it "superhero"?
Those things you mentioned are fictional characters (like Spiderman or Santa Claus) that we know the invention of, or metaphorical terms/names (like Mother Nature) for things we know exist in reality.
This cannot be conflated with an entity titled GOD that doesn't interact with humans, and titling an entity that does not exist in an way whatsoever "GOD" (or any other title).

Old 07-15-2017, 04:17 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,173,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Thsoe are "names" not "titles".
If a character did not exist, in any way...would you ever title it "superhero"?
Those things you mentioned are fictional characters (like Spiderman or Santa Claus) that we know the invention of, or metaphorical terms/names (like Mother Nature) for things we know exist in reality.
This cannot be conflated with an entity titled GOD that doesn't interact with humans, and titling an entity that does not exist in an way whatsoever "GOD" (or any other title).
Yes, batman and Spider-Man don't exist, but we call them superheroes. Some call the unexplainable god. No difference between them. They are just fictitious characters.

Old 07-15-2017, 04:22 PM

1,788 posts, read 1,173,725 times
You're sitting in a Chair with a cup on a table beside you. Same with Him. He's closer to you than you are to your TV.

Everything you know of is inside that Cup beside His Throne. We never left Heaven. He shrank Us and placed Us out of it's sight, but not His. When He leans over and looks inside this "cup", He hears and sees all of it. Not 1 speck or thought is hidden from Him. Can you Grasp, the concepts He took to make Creation? The effort? The continuing pursuit of it? No? Why? Because bad things happen?

We are so special to Him. He made Us Creation to Redeem Us by Way of His only Son and We killed Him tragically on 4, 75degree angles. Many think because you do not see Him, He must not be.
It seems prudent to me, that men should walk the path Jesus laid out to know Him.

This "redemption process" is about to be "sifted" out to His Right Hand and His Left Hand.

It's almost 10:00.

Old 07-15-2017, 05:01 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,946,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HushWhisper View Post
You're sitting in a Chair with a cup on a table beside you. Same with Him. He's closer to you than you are to your TV.

Everything you know of is inside that Cup beside His Throne. We never left Heaven. He shrank Us and placed Us out of it's sight, but not His. When He leans over and looks inside this "cup", He hears and sees all of it. Not 1 speck or thought is hidden from Him. Can you Grasp, the concepts He took to make Creation? The effort? The continuing pursuit of it? No? Why? Because bad things happen?

We are so special to Him. He made Us Creation to Redeem Us by Way of His only Son and We killed Him tragically on 4, 75degree angles. Many think because you do not see Him, He must not be.
It seems prudent to me, that men should walk the path Jesus laid out to know Him.

This "redemption process" is about to be "sifted" out to His Right Hand and His Left Hand.

It's almost 10:00.
This is all subjective emotional proselytizing stuff, Hush. There are Buddhists who get as warm and fuzzy about Buddha being next to them as you do about God. I know, I know, "The difference is my God is right and their god is wrong."

Which leads us right back to the challenge: "Show me the secular proof Jesus actually lived. What have you got beside 'He lives in my heart, that's how I know and how you can know too.' "

Old 07-15-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
This is all subjective emotional stuff, Hush. There are Buddhists who get as warm and fuzzy about Buddha being next to them as you do about God. I know, I know, "The difference is my God is right and their god is wrong."
I've seen many wonderful images on Our Planet, but no "buddha".

You should believe Our Planet's Story. He put it there for a season and made it known now for a reason.

~think

Old 07-15-2017, 05:10 PM

Why do you guys let evil steal something so Special from you in so many different ways?

Whats in your pockets, that you can't give up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality