Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2017, 06:26 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,984,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post

Now, T/T, let's see what you can do with non -science in the Quran.

The Qur'an states that Alexander the Great traveled to where the sun sets and to where the sun rises. This is impossible on a spherical earth, since there is no specific place where the sun goes "down". Furthermore, the Qur'an states that the sun literally goes into muddy water when it "sets".

"Till, when he reached the setting-place of the sun, he found it setting in a muddy spring, and found a people thereabout. We said: O Dhu'l-Qarneyn! Either punish or show them kindness. .... Till, when he reached the rising-place of the sun, he found it rising on a people for whom We had appointed no shelter therefrom.
" (Qur'an 18:86-90).
Well, Truth_Teller? Care to tell us the truth about this one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2017, 09:03 AM

2,774 posts, read 2,668,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Were there no mountains 1400 years ago?
Quote:
Now that's quite a good one. One could argue that climbing mountains would cause exertion but to get reduces oxygen would take higher mopuntains that they have in Arabia. So, given, that the Quran does get thing wrong and thus this cannot be advances scientific knowledge, anyone have an explanation?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
you mean they never climbed a mountain till mohammed? someone better tell that iceman.
read the verses again . Do you see the word mountain in it .
I put mountain my self to give some example and the Holy Quran said as if he is climbing up to the sky.

Mount Everest، is about 9 thousands meters high but it still contains about 33% of oxygen

and the chest is felt narrow because the decreased of oxygen and pressure

Old 10-07-2017, 09:39 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth_teller View Post
I put mountain my self to give some example and the Holy Quran said as if he is climbing up to the sky.

Mount Everest، is about 9 thousands meters high but it still contains about 33% of oxygen

Read MY post again. There seemed to be reason to suppose a mountain since climbing (of course I have to rely on translations) implies climbung a mountain rather than being magically lifted up. I not also that climbers having to wear oxygen masks imp[ly that is how Quran apologists interpret it too.

The explanation thus is that you don't need to climb even the highest mountains in the middle east to be familiar with the exertion -symptoms of climbing at a couple of thousand feet. Shortness of breath. the need for more oxygen, made worse by there beiing less as you get higher. There is no reason to see this as advanced science -knowledge.

Now how about you explain my example?

Old 10-07-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
. the need for more oxygen, made worse by there beiing less as you get higher. There is no reason to see this as advanced science -knowledge.
and how would they know this fact 1400 years ago?
Quote:
Now how about you explain my example?
in the next post.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:33 AM

11,019 posts, read 5,984,846 times
Quote:

The explanation thus is that you don't need to climb even the highest mountains in the middle east to be familiar with the exertion -symptoms of climbing at a couple of thousand feet. Shortness of breath. the need for more oxygen, made worse by there beiing less as you get higher. There is no reason to see this as advanced science -knowledge.
Quote:
and how would they know this fact 1400 years ago?
Are you suggesting that 1400 years ago the people who lived in mountainous regions never climbed a mountain and never made the observation that it hurts the chest? I have never climbed a mountain but I have walked up the sides of a very high and steep hill and it hurt! And this was a sea level hill.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Now, T/T, let's see what you can do with non -science in the Quran.

The Qur'an states that Alexander the Great traveled to where the sun sets and to where the sun rises. This is impossible on a spherical earth, since there is no specific place where the sun goes "down". Furthermore, the Qur'an states that the sun literally goes into muddy water when it "sets".

"Till, when he reached the setting-place of the sun, he found it setting in a muddy spring, and found a people thereabout. We said: O Dhu'l-Qarneyn! Either punish or show them kindness. .... Till, when he reached the rising-place of the sun, he found it rising on a people for whom We had appointed no shelter therefrom." (Qur'an 18:86-90).
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Well, Truth_Teller? Care to tell us the truth about this one?
the meaning is he reached to an open place such as a sea or desert at sun set time and he saw the sun goes down to the horizon of that place.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:53 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
the meaning is he reached to an open place such as a sea or desert at sun set time and he saw the sun goes down to the horizon of that place.
I agree. The story is not to be interpreted too literally. Full marks. It isn't saying advanced science but human interpretations of natural phenomena. Bear that in mind when presenting 'science in the Quran'.

Old 10-08-2017, 06:15 AM

Quote:
I agree. The story is not to be interpreted too literally. Full marks. It isn't saying advanced science but human interpretations of natural phenomena. Bear that in mind when presenting 'science in the Quran'.
Thank you
and I hope you also agree that the main objective of this thread is not to prove that the Quran is a scientific book
but to prove the creator via his book the Quran by highlighting some of the knowledge in it that could be known 1400 years ago by any human.

Old 10-08-2017, 06:55 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:

no, you said it was amazing how he knew as we climb altitude there is less oxygen. I mean at least know earth systems before you make silly claims like the ones you make here. Of course they knew 600 years ago that as we climb higher there is less oxygen.

33% O2 is dead wrong.

Old 10-08-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
Of course they knew 600 years ago that as we climb higher there is less oxygen..

The Holy Quran is 1400 years old.
was it known 1400 years ago as we climb higher there is less oxygen?

Quote:
33% O2 is dead wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality