Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 06:47 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,047,648 times

Advertisements

What About Jesus?

Jews do not believe that Jesus was the mashiach. Assuming that he existed, and assuming that the Christian scriptures are accurate in describing him (both matters that are debatable), he simply did not fulfill the mission of the mashiach as it is described in the biblical passages cited above. Jesus did not do any of the things that the scriptures said the messiah would do.

On the contrary, another Jew born about a century later came far closer to fulfilling the messianic ideal than Jesus did. His name was Shimeon ben Kosiba, known as Bar Kokhba (son of a star), and he was a charismatic, brilliant, but brutal warlord. Rabbi Akiba, one of the greatest scholars in Jewish history, believed that Bar Kokhba was the mashiach. Bar Kokhba fought a war against the Roman Empire, catching the Tenth Legion by surprise and retaking Jerusalem. He resumed sacrifices at the site of the Temple and made plans to rebuild the Temple. He established a provisional government and began to issue coins in its name. This is what the Jewish people were looking for in a mashiach; Jesus clearly does not fit into this mold. Ultimately, however, the Roman Empire crushed his revolt and killed Bar Kokhba. After his death, all acknowledged that he was not the mashiach.

Throughout Jewish history, there have been many people who have claimed to be the mashiach, or whose followers have claimed that they were the mashiach: Shimeon Bar Kokhba, Shabbatai Tzvi, Jesus, and many others too numerous to name. Leo Rosten reports some very entertaining accounts under the entry for meshiekh in The New Joys of Yiddish. But all of these people died without fulfilling the mission of the mashiach; therefore, none of them were the mashiach. The mashiach and the Olam Ha-Ba lie in the future, not in the past. - www.jewfaq.org/m/mashiach.htm

Why has has Christianity redefined a Jewish concept?...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2017, 08:43 AM

1,788 posts, read 1,173,011 times
https://www.jewishvoice.org/learn/je...-old-testament

"The misconception that Jesus did not fulfill the Messianic prophecies of the Old Testament is predominately held by Jewish People. The argument stems from several key Scriptures: Isaiah 11:1-9, Isaiah 2:3-4, and Micah 4:2-3

In Isaiah 11:1-9, we see prophecies about the coming Messiah, some of which were fulfilled in Yeshua, but some have not been fulfilled yet. . We don’t yet see wolves lying down with lambs, nursing children playing at the cobra’s hole, or the earth full of the knowledge of the LORD. The verses in Micah are also clear prophecies about the coming Messiah, and they tell of a universal peace that has not yet manifested. The argument then is: if Jesus was the Messiah, why isn’t there world peace? Many Jewish People who are still waiting expectantly for the Messiah are expecting a Messiah who will bring world peace.

Yet there are many Messianic prophecies that paint a different picture of the Messiah. Isaiah 53 speaks of the Messiah coming as a suffering servant, One who is led as lamb to the slaughter and who takes our sorrows, infirmities, and punishment on Himself. This suffering Messiah is prophesied to be pierced for our transgression. This is a clear depiction of Yeshua’s crucifixion.
Get the "A Rabbi Looks at Jesus of Nazareth" Book

With warmth and transparency, Jewish Voice’s own Messianic Rabbi Jonathan Bernis shares a compelling case for Jesus as Messiah and presents overwhelming evidence that can be traced to the Torah itself.

A significant Messianic prophecy that is often overlooked by those still waiting for the Messiah is Daniel 9:24-27. This Old Testament prophecy says that Messiah, the Anointed One, will be “cut off,” or killed, before the destruction of the Temple in Jerusalem, which happened in 70 A.D. Clearly, Yeshua’s death fits as fulfilling this prophecy, and no Messiah yet to come could. Bible prophecy contains portraits of both a suffering Messiah and a victorious Messiah. The suffering servant is pictured as a lamb, wounded, and cut off, but not for Himself. The triumphant Messiah comes to establish His rule of peace and righteousness over the earth.

These two seemingly contradictory prophetic descriptions are difficult to understand for Jewish People. To reconcile these two very different portrayals of the Messiah, there grew a belief among the rabbis that they were waiting for two Messiahs. One they called Mashiach ben David, and He would be the Son of King David who would rule and reign. The other they called Mashiach ben Joseph, the Son of Joseph. This Messiah ben Joseph would suffer and be rejected by his own like Joseph was rejected by his brothers. At the time of Yeshua’s coming, Israel longed for the conquering Messiah. Because of Rome’s oppression and their expectation that God would send the Deliverer, they were looking for Messiah ben David.

The truth is, it is not two Messiahs, it is one Messiah coming twice—first as the Lamb of God, the suffering servant of Isaiah 53, and then as the reigning King Messiah when Yeshua returns. Yeshua’s first coming fulfilled the prophecies of the suffering servant. With Yeshua’s Second Coming, we will see the fulfillment of the victorious, reigning Messiah of Isaiah 11:1-9!"

~ some/"few" of you believe different.

Old 09-02-2017, 08:49 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
I have given you a hint, Richard Over to you.

Old 09-02-2017, 08:54 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times
So sorry, Richard, since I am not Jewish I don't know any of these Jewish words...
so I stopped reading. I'm fussy that way. I'm sure it is a nice post.

Old 09-02-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
So sorry, Richard, since I am not Jewish I don't know any of these Jewish words...
so I stopped reading. I'm fussy that way. I'm sure it is a nice post.
Maybe if you'd look up BOTH sides you could make a CLEAR decision and not "be fussy".

Old 09-02-2017, 09:11 AM

I suggest anyone reading threads, that demote Jesus and lift up something else to deeply search just who Jesus is. Start by reading the NEW TESTAMENT and READ the words of JESUS and then ask yourself, who's telling you the truth and why do men go to such lengths to attack Him- what would do this, evil or good?

Old 09-02-2017, 09:15 AM

Supporters of threads like this ... will also be the supporters of the ones who claim they found the body of Jesus in a cave in Germany- REMEMBER MY WORDS~!

Old 09-02-2017, 09:39 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
I wonder if Joe/Jane Average Christian (non-fundie sub-sect) ever really considers whether Jesus was "The" Messiah. I suspect most of them go to church on Sunday, try to stay awake during the sermon and think Jesus was a good role model.

Then they go home to a football game and a Sunday roast. They may, or may not say Grace before demolishing the roast.

Old 09-02-2017, 10:00 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,397,063 times
Attack Jesus? You know I can't think of anyone ever in my life that
has
attacked Jesus. Not even my many atheist friends.

Old 09-02-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Attack Jesus? You know I can't think of anyone ever in my life that
has
attacked Jesus. Not even my many atheist friends.
Lying against Him or His Father or His Followers is attacking Him.

Moderator cut: Off topic

Last edited by june 7th; 09-02-2017 at 10:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality