Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 05:31 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Simple. Just as I have more than 1 attribute, God does, as well. And no--God being just does not mean he's not loving.
Precisely, or as Paul put it: 4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8Love never fails.

The love continues and punishment without possibility of change is NOT love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 05:52 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
To suggest it's anti-semitic, one must assign motive to the writers. That isn't justified by the writing. The Gospels record the events, and I'm not sure there is any editorializing to assign motive or blame where it doesn't lie. The Gospels do not paint all Jews as bad, only the specific leaders. It is no more anti-semitic than a movie about slavery says all white people are racist.
I think it's clear there is, in some cases moreso than others.

In the end, intent might not matter as much as the fact that the hearers took the "Jews are bad, the gospels say so" idea and ran with it to the point of horror.

Old 09-20-2017, 06:04 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
I'm accepted and loved by God because I'm righteous in his eyes because I have the righteousness of Christ.

God cannot condone sin, so I want to know why you believe, that if you're less than perfect, that God would accept you?

Old 09-20-2017, 06:33 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,394,984 times
Quote:
I'm accepted and loved by God because I'm righteous in his eyes because I have the righteousness of Christ.

God cannot condone sin, so I want to know why you believe, that if you're less than perfect, that God would accept you?
So you are equating "accept" with "love", and believe that God is incapable of loving someone/thing that is not perfect?

Can you lead me through the thought process that has led you to that conclusion?

Last edited by Pleroo; 09-20-2017 at 07:18 PM..

Old 09-20-2017, 08:14 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,324,939 times
Quote:

This is precisely the attitude that causes relgions to war with each other -- and individual denominations within the same religion to war with each other.

This attitude is the reason why Europe saw 500 years of Catholics fighting Protestants and why the Muslims are experiencing the Shi'a vs. Sunni war -- as well as Islam vs. Christianity and Judaism.

It is why I have said a thousand times that religion is the most divisive and abrasive cultural trait of any civilization.

It's just too bad that, even after 4,000 years of near perpetual bloodshed due to these ridiculous superstitious differences in belief we still have people in the era of nuclear weapons who would say what you just did.

Congratulations! I love it when my opponents score points for my team without even realizing it.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:58 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:

Because God can understand sin and work with us to help us find a better way to fulfill our needs.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:11 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,038,751 times
Quote:
And I think you have the righteousness of the pharisees.
That's mean...

Old 09-20-2017, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
The Pharisees actually were pretty righteous as people go. They have a very bad rap over the centuries, in my view, mainly because of the deliberate Christian smear -campaign in the Gospels.

Jesus was (I would bet good money) a devout Pharisee himself.
He also told folks to do what the Pharisee told them to do...

Old 09-20-2017, 10:19 PM

Quote:
And as good at following the Law as they were, their righteousness was not enough. Ponder that one.
Who said?...

Old 09-20-2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
I was Christian, did research and went to Judaism so i guess i passed the test!
Mazel Tov!...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality