Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2017, 12:32 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
The above, ladies and germs, is what religion does to some people's brain.
I will say that in my several years on this forum, that was the weirdest post I have ever seen. Is there any type of award for that? A trophy? At least a framed certificate? If not, we should create one.

Old 12-17-2017, 12:44 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,324,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewitness View Post
...yeah, you're overreacting. Btw...I thought this thread was about the moral bankruptcy of evangelical Christianity???
No ... actually, this is the official thread of "The Earth Is A Sphere Club" and anyone who posts here has essentially signed a sworn statement affirming that the earth is, indeed, a sphere.

So, congratulations. It's about time you saw the truth.

Quote:
How about this one...a born that way gay black man bakes a wedding cake for a white hetero couple who are in the process of adopting two born that way lesbian Asian sisters who have been taking hormone treatments to become dogs. Once their transformation is complete the white hetero couple, who are blind btw, can now use their Asian lesbian dog daughters for what they really needed in the first place. Insane isn't it?
Why yes, I think the last three words of that paragraph pretty much describes the bulk of your post.

Quote:
The stool boys should have done what is right and done their due diligence to look for a baker who would patty cake as well as bake. No, these two made the decision to force their homosexual contrived culture on another human being who dwells specifically in a heterosexual culture.
Yeah, we know ... if a homosexual actually enters the light of day, he or she is somehow "forcing" the dreaded, mysterious, and sinister "gay agenda" upon the world of Christian heterosexuality.

And if any culture has ever been "contrived" it's the Christian culture. *snicker* You are, after all, worshiping a resurrected zombie who claims to be the son of a Bronze Age Hebrew god of war. Which sounds more like a made-for-television movie on the Sci-Fi Channel than a credible religion ... but hey, I didn't contrive it.

Old 12-18-2017, 01:03 AM

1,220 posts, read 987,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
No ... actually, this is the official thread of "The Earth Is A Sphere Club" and anyone who posts here has essentially signed a sworn statement affirming that the earth is, indeed, a sphere.

So, congratulations. It's about time you saw the truth.

Why yes, I think the last three words of that paragraph pretty much describes the bulk of your post.

Yeah, we know ... if a homosexual actually enters the light of day, he or she is somehow "forcing" the dreaded, mysterious, and sinister "gay agenda" upon the world of Christian heterosexuality.

And if any culture has ever been "contrived" it's the Christian culture. *snicker* You are, after all, worshiping a resurrected zombie who claims to be the son of a Bronze Age Hebrew god of war. Which sounds more like a made-for-television movie on the Sci-Fi Channel than a credible religion ... but hey, I didn't contrive it.
Ah...so your clubs model has a lithosphere, a hydrosphere, a biosphere, and an atmosphere...all with subset spheres.
It's just a model vixen...a man-made contrived representation of the possibility of a global reality.
I don't care much for that version of reality...I prefer a flat round plane.
If a homo-sexual actually entered into the light of day, then in Jesus mighty name there might be healing for their soul.

Old 12-18-2017, 03:58 AM

1,220 posts, read 987,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
The above, ladies and germs, is what religion does to some people's brain.
Look at you...sitting there taking selfies...all smug with your ridiculous goatee.
So I believe in Jesus Christ, the best fly fisherman you say you'll never meet...why waste your life attacking such a littlewitness like me? Your aggression toward me is displaced.
Jesus is with you at every moment in your life Dude...when you're on your bike, when your skiing, when your fly fishing...when your posting ugly snippets to help you bury your unforgiveness...

Old 12-18-2017, 06:48 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
...yeah, you're overreacting. Btw...I thought this thread was about the moral bankruptcy of evangelical Christianity???
How about this one...a born that way gay black man bakes a wedding cake for a white hetero couple who are in the process of adopting two born that way lesbian Asian sisters who have been taking hormone treatments to become dogs. Once their transformation is complete the white hetero couple, who are blind btw, can now use their Asian lesbian dog daughters for what they really needed in the first place. Insane isn't it?

The stool boys should have done what is right and done their due diligence to look for a baker who would patty cake as well as bake. No, these two made the decision to force their homosexual contrived culture on another human being who dwells specifically in a heterosexual culture.
You're raving, son, because Shirina set out quite clearly why precedents in Law are important, and you do not take each discrimination case as though it had no precedents. Rulings on how racial types or religious types are to be treated when they go to get a cake for a wedding between a black and a white or a Jew and a Hindu (there is no valid reason for refusing the service) is going to apply in discrimination on grounds of sexual orientation.

And Religious beliefs is not an excuse in law. That's a precedent, too. So we know the way this ought to go, unless the Artistic freedom argument works. It might as I believe an artist can refuse a commission, but I don't think that applies to providing cakes.

We shall see.

But that mad tirade of yours which merely seems trying to muddy the waters, makes no difference. Apart from not being a practical scenario or legally permitted (girls getting hormone treatment to turn them into dogs? Really? ) the 'Nazi cake' argument fails. If a person asking for a cake to be provided for something that is not protected by law (Nazi celebrations, for one) is refused, the law supports them. It does not support someone refusing a legally valid service on religious grounds.

You just Lost It -in both senses old son.

Quote:
Look at you...sitting there taking selfies...all smug with your ridiculous goatee.
So I believe in Jesus Christ, the best fly fisherman you say you'll never meet...why waste your life attacking such a littlewitness like me? Your aggression toward me is displaced.
Jesus is with you at every moment in your life Dude...when you're on your bike, when your skiing, when your fly fishing...when your posting ugly snippets to help you bury your unforgiveness...
Chum, nobody is more smug, arrogant, self -satified and puffed up with inflated self -regard and that while clearly being unable to reason their way out of a damp brown paper bag, than a person who starts with a fixed belief (whether in a 2000 year old dead superhero, or a bronze age unscientific cosmology) and comes up with all sorts of arguments to prop that belief up, and then refuses to listen when they are debunked and starts ranting, sneering and abusing.

If that is an advertisement for your religion or theories about the shape of the earth, you can excuse me for not wanting to buy into it.
Quote:
Waiter brings out the soup of the day to a patron. Patron says "Hey man, there's a fly in my soup." Waiter spoons fly out of patrons soup and says, "Eat the soup."
Patron refuses as under Law the soup is not up to standard. Law will support patron in a court case. What's your point? More attempts to confuse the issue?

And in fact your behaviour here has illustrated very nicely the 'moral bankruptcy of Christianity'. Instead of being a vehicle for loving, helping and supporting, it has become (in its' organized form and distressingly so in America) a vehicle of hate, ignorance and oppression.
Lies, dishonesty, greed..
legalism, subversion, hypocrisy
cover -ups, exploitation, social damage.

Gotta hand to to religion. When it goes bad - it REALLY goes bad.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 12-18-2017 at 08:16 AM..

Old 12-18-2017, 07:49 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
There is much hilarity in this post.

Old 12-18-2017, 08:29 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
No one is saying that we should not love anyone, except you. You keep saying that it's "fundies" and you keep expressing hatred and anger toward us. That's not very loving.
And yet God says--

Just as it is written: "Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated."

Old 12-18-2017, 08:49 AM

20,005 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
And yet God says--

Just as it is written: "Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated."
If opponent.MakesGoodPoint Then
Invoke SpecialPleading
End If

Old 12-18-2017, 09:46 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,324,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
And in fact your behaviour here has illustrated very nicely the 'moral bankruptcy of Christianity'. Instead of being a vehicle for loving, helping and supporting, it has become (in its' organized form and distressingly so in America) a vehicle of hate, ignorance and oppression.
Lies, dishonesty, greed..
legalism, subversion, hypocrisy
cover -ups, exploitation, social damage.

Gotta hand to to religion. When it goes bad - it REALLY goes bad.
Unfortunately, that is what religion has *always* done when handed the throne, so to speak. Doesn't matter if it was pagan Rome or Christian Europe or Islamic Persia.

Religion might do some good things for individuals -- but alas, people have a tendency to group together when they have similar feelings and beliefs. Once the grouping starts, an actual religion is formed complete with draconic rules (they're *always* draconic), a "divinely inspired" holy book, myths and legends that took place in the distant past, a plethora of miracles that no one living has ever seen, and some kind of threat to keep your butt in the pew.

When said religion gets large enough, it begins influencing politics; it starts wailing for special dispensations, exemptions, get out of jail free cards, and any thing else it desires -- because religion is the most important thing in the entire world!!

With the possible exception of the far eastern religions like Budhism, Taoism, Confuscianism, and the like, religion has been used for centuries to mask the personal hatreds, intolerances, prejudices, fears, and suspicions of its members; usually the religion itself outlines in its "divinely inspired" holy book a complete and thorough list of people you should hate.

Oh I know -- certain Christians will try and claim it has nothing to do with hatred, bigotry, and fear of that which they don't understand, but the way you can tell whether or not a rule is inspired by hatred is by looking at the results.

So, while some Christians who are rabidly against homosexuality will say, "No, no, we hate the sin, not the sinner!" Except you can't punish the sin itself for refusing to conform, so religion takes it out on the sinner. And never once do they ever stop to consider whether a homosexual, for instance, even subscribes to their religion or, even if he does, he may not care what the Bible says about homosexuality. After all, this wouldn't be the first Biblical law we've tossed lock, stock, and barrel right into the garbage bin, never to be seen again.

After all, how many witches have been put on trial lately in the United States? How many Christians rose up in anger by picketing and boycoting fortune teller shops or palm readers or astrologists?

You can tell that the anti-gay sentiment among the fundamentalists have little to do with actual religion or they would be enforcing all manner of Biblical rules -- not just one or two that have been cherry picked from among dozens of other rules which they ignore.

If one didn't know any better, one MIGHT think that homosexuality is the worst thing our civilization has ever had to face. World wars, holocausts, ethnic cleansing, authoritarian dictatorships, nuclear weapons, international terrorism -- none of those things can even begin to compare with *gasp* the "evil gay agenda!"

If this entire escapade wasn't fueled by hate, why the irrational obsession with it? Why the Chicken Little absurdities like claiming Rome fell because of gays and how this will be civilization's undoing!? Why the monumental effort and expenditure of money and resources to prevent equality for 10% of the population? Which is 30 million people, by the way, a larger population than some European nations, so it's not a tiny group.

Hmmhmm, it reminds me, too, of the irrational hatred of Obama. "Uh, no, no, it has uh, nothing at all to do with his race!" Except there's no other reason why even the rank-and-file GOP members hated Obama with an almost foaming-mouth intensity. Why? We've had Democrats in office before nor was he a radical leftist like Sanders. So why? Well, what's the only thing that makes Obama different? Oh right, his race.

Kind of like -- what's the only thing that makes a homosexual different? Oh right, his sexual orientation which, of course, makes the whole affair a lesson on how to get negativity and hatred legalized as permissible. I can also state with utter certainty that, if a law such as the one in the Supreme Court were ever passed, it wouldn't just be discrimination by wedding cake bakers. ANY business owner, from Wal-Mart managers to McDonald's cashiers could refuse service to a gay person.

And guess what ELSE is going to happen --- oh yes, just think of how many straight men and women will be discriminated against because *someone* decides a customer looks a little too effeminate or a little too butch. And hey! Why is that *man* shopping in the woman's jewelry department? Why is that *woman* looking at power tools?

Oh yeah, it'll happen. Well, *maybe* it'll happen ... but something tells me that if the Christians score a victory here, they'll try to ride that wave into more fights to deny others their freedoms, to cheat others out of their freedom to choose. I guess we'll see just how fair and religiously neutral this Supreme Court will be.

Old 12-18-2017, 09:46 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
You make him (Jesus) sound like a stalker.
Perhaps we Buddhists don't want him with us.
Perhaps Hindus don't want him with them.
Perhaps atheists don't want him with them/us.
And if Jesus is there next us all the time, he ought to start actually doing something instead of just lurking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality