Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 05:19 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times

Advertisements

Buddhists -- at least intelligent, knowledgeable Buddhist -- do not claim any "divine-ness" to the Tipitaka.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2017, 05:47 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times
Anything containing truth is inspired by God.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:31 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,089,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristotles child View Post
Here are the Holy Books of the world’s major religions:

New Testament, The Quran, Shreemd Bhagavad, Tripitakas, Guru Granth Sahib,Torah, Kitab Aqdas Doctrine of the Mean, Agamas, and the Kojiki.

Believers in each religion will consider them inspired in some way.

Which one (or ones) do you consider divinely inspired and what is your proof?

(“I can’t help but believe” isn’t an acceptable answer without evidence).
naw my young friend.

It doesn't work this way.

You must find your own answers.

And remember, faith is NOT based on proofs and evidences - otherwise it's not faith.

Me or someone else telling you that this scripture is true and that is false, is not the way to go.

Now, don't get me wrong here, you have very legitimate question, "which one is it?"

The answer has been given many times before but here is the method if you want to take this journey, and find your own answers.

You will follow a rule that "a God of any religion under your study will be judged by his message."

You will then start with any religion, and study it's message of God towards mankind in the form of it's holy scriptures .. be it the Bible or the Quran or Gita or whatever; however, the rule will remain the same for all "a God of any religion under your study will be judged by his message".

And here is the key, during your research and study of the holy scriptures of any religion, you will periodically ask yourself this key question, "Is it the truth?"

And then you will honestly and bravely let your heart answer the question.

This will probably help you find the one that talks to your heart.

If you have questions about a certain holy book then ask the questions only from the followers of that holy book.

For example, if you have a question from the Holy Bible, then ask a Christian Scholar. Quranic questions should be asked from a Muslim Scholar, Torah questions from a Jewish Scholar, Gita questions from a Hindu scholar etc.

Remember, the obligation upon us is to use our own intelligence, logic and common sense to do our own research and make wise choices, because in the end, we will be responsible for our choices made on free will.

The brain does the research part - the call to faith comes from the heart. And no one can tell you what your heart says, except for your own-self.

Old 12-12-2017, 02:44 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,020,758 times
The books of the bible would be divinely inspired , and the proof comes from the religion of God Holy Spirit who is held up by these books .... So if people ignore the living Holy Spirit they will ignore the Only evidence

Old 12-12-2017, 08:44 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,923,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
The books of the bible would be divinely inspired , and the proof comes from the religion of God Holy Spirit who is held up by these books .... So if people ignore the living Holy Spirit they will ignore the Only evidence
Not bad, and how do you know that you are guided by the Holy Spirit?

Old 12-12-2017, 08:55 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times
The Bible. Just read them. It becomes clear.

Old 12-12-2017, 08:58 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
All, or none.

Old 12-12-2017, 09:48 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
naw my young friend.

It doesn't work this way.

You must find your own answers.

And remember, faith is NOT based on proofs and evidences - otherwise it's not faith.

Me or someone else telling you that this scripture is true and that is false, is not the way to go.

Now, don't get me wrong here, you have very legitimate question, "which one is it?"

The answer has been given many times before but here is the method if you want to take this journey, and find your own answers.

You will follow a rule that "a God of any religion under your study will be judged by his message."

You will then start with any religion, and study it's message of God towards mankind in the form of it's holy scriptures .. be it the Bible or the Quran or Gita or whatever; however, the rule will remain the same for all "a God of any religion under your study will be judged by his message".

And here is the key, during your research and study of the holy scriptures of any religion, you will periodically ask yourself this key question, "Is it the truth?"

And then you will honestly and bravely let your heart answer the question.

This will probably help you find the one that talks to your heart.

If you have questions about a certain holy book then ask the questions only from the followers of that holy book.

For example, if you have a question from the Holy Bible, then ask a Christian Scholar. Quranic questions should be asked from a Muslim Scholar, Torah questions from a Jewish Scholar, Gita questions from a Hindu scholar etc.

Remember, the obligation upon us is to use our own intelligence, logic and common sense to do our own research and make wise choices, because in the end, we will be responsible for our choices made on free will.

The brain does the research part - the call to faith comes from the heart. And no one can tell you what your heart says, except for your own-self.
That's pretty good - and that is fair. If you have a question, ask the people involved in it. After all, I say 'ask an atheist if you want to know about atheists'. But a Certain Kind of enquirer seems to prefer the misrepresentations of the religious for their information.

So there's the rider to your excellent suggestion - see what the others say about the various claim and explanations, see which ones make the most sense and then decide. And of course, personal inclination (not to say indoctrination) is always going to be a factor. Lots of Riders with that method.

Old 12-12-2017, 09:55 AM

18,496 posts, read 9,164,949 times
My religion’s text is divinely inspired; the other guy’s religious text is a fabrication by humans. Obviously. To think otherwise is just silly.

Old 12-12-2017, 02:46 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Not bad, and how do you know that you are guided by the Holy Spirit?
The central question that is ignored in favor of the Bible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
My religion’s text is divinely inspired; the other guy’s religious text is a fabrication by humans. Obviously. To think otherwise is just silly.
This exposes the logic trap in these disputes. IF God inspires, then God inspires and that inspiration can be found everywhere. The key is identifying it. I have what is FOR ME an inerrant test - my experience of the nature of God so I reject anything that contradicts or is inconsistent with that experience. The detailed descriptions attributed to Jesus and His described unambiguous demonstration of God's nature exactly matches MY experience which is why I credit the Jesus narrative. But I reject ALL aspects that do NOT conform to the nature of God I experience. FOR ME that is probative. YMMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality