Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 11:02 AM

524 posts, read 251,977 times

Advertisements

Atheists, who is your favorite non-believer historically and what did they accomplish that makes you admire them?

Believers, who is your favorite Believer historically and what did they accomplish that you admire?

A picture is worth many words so feel free to add a pic.

Last edited by Objective Detective; 01-13-2018 at 11:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 11:52 AM

Default What have Atheists accomplished for the United States?

Self righteous atheists are proud of their religion and apparently think it it best for everyone.

So the question begs, What exactly have Atheists accomplished for the United States with their thinking?

Old 01-13-2018, 11:57 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Hard to say, really. Fact is that Darwin was a huge sea -change in thinking. And Dawkins was absolutely the start to "New" atheism as it is called. Sagan was good, but he was more of a science guy. And Matt Dillahunty is truly excellent both in the range of his output and his focus on the philosophical arguments. Which some atheists (including me ) tend to avoid.

I know that you didn't ask atheists for their fsvourite believers but I think some of those who were in the forefront of the anti -slavery campaign deserve a mention. There was a Priest who was awarded a medal by Israel for helping Jews in Wartime Italy. another who fell foul of Hitler by speaking out against Naziism. Even you have to give a gold star to John Sobieski for halting the Muslims at Vienna, but then one comes close to Honouring people like Henry 8, Cromwell and King Billy for ending and crushing Catholicism in the UK and thus preventing it from dominating in Europe, For good or bad, Catholick Christianity pretty much dominating the non -Islamic world is a prospect that spoils my lunch.

I don't so much honour the religious scientists as what they accomplished was as scientists, not as believers.

Old 01-13-2018, 11:58 AM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times
I don't know what anybody expects to accomplish with these threads, but we didn't need two of them, so they are merged into one.

Old 01-13-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Hard to say, really. Fact is that Darwin was a huge sea -change in thinking. And Dawkins was absolutely the start to "New" atheism as it is called. Sagan was good, but he was more of a science guy. And Matt Dillahunty is truly excellent both in the range of his output and his focus on the philosophical arguments. Which some atheists (including me ) tend to avoid.

I know that you didn't ask atheists for their fsvourite believers but I think some of those who were in the forefront of the anti -slavery campaign deserve a mention. There was a Priest who was awarded a medal by Israel for helping Jews in Wartime Italy. another who fell foul of Hitler by speaking out against Naziism. Even you have to give a gold star to John Sobieski for halting the Muslims at Vienna, but then one comes close to Honouring people like Henry 8, Cromwell and King Billy for ending and crushing Catholicism in the UK and thus preventing it from dominating in Europe, For good or bad, Catholick Christianity pretty much dominating the non -Islamic world is a prospect that spoils my lunch.

I don't so much honour the religious scientists as what they accomplished was as scientists, not as believers.
Quote by Darwin:

"The mystery of the beginning of all things is insoluble by us; and I for one must be content to remain an agnostic" Darwin

Darwin was actually an agnostic, not an atheist. Your perception and knowledge of factual history appears to be lacking.

Old 01-13-2018, 12:23 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,015,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Objective Detective View Post
Self righteous atheists are proud of their religion and apparently think it it best for everyone.

So the question begs, What exactly have Atheists accomplished for the United States with their thinking?
Lowered the value of life, caused division, 100 million dead the last 100 years or so.....just little things like that.

Old 01-13-2018, 12:35 PM

11,024 posts, read 5,982,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Lowered the value of life, caused division, 100 million dead the last 100 years or so.....just little things like that.
Well, Hitler, a Christian, was part of that and so was Stalin, an atheist. Just to keep things in perspective.

But I was hoping to hear from folks like you what Christianity has done for the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Objective Detective View Post

I do believe atheism is best for everyone but I'm puzzled by your statement. You speak as though you have insider knowledge as an atheist believer - how else could you know it's a religion or belief position?

Old 01-13-2018, 12:39 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,015,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Well, Hitler, a Christian, was part of that and so was Stalin, an atheist. Just to keep things in perspective.

But I was hoping to hear from folks like you what Christianity has done for the world.
Please provide proof Hitler was a Christian. Everything I've seen was that he was into the occult and hated Christianity.

Old 01-13-2018, 12:50 PM

11,024 posts, read 5,982,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Please provide proof Hitler was a Christian. Everything I've seen was that he was into the occult and hated Christianity.
I can't provide proof of that and he may well have been an atheist. He claimed to be and behaved pretty much like many other so called Christians who seem to genuinely believe in God. I say so called Christians because these people never actually refer to Jesus, only God. Perhaps they are only churchmen?

So, may we hear what Christians have done to improve our world?

Here's one of my guys.

Last edited by 303Guy; 01-13-2018 at 01:22 PM..

Old 01-13-2018, 01:08 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,161,537 times
Of all the great thinkers, doctors, philosophers, and inventors of world history who "said" they were Christian, how many really were?

When the penalty for not believing could be DEATH, I bet a LOT of those you think were Christians were actually atheists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality