Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 09:18 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
In a 1933 speech, he said that Christianity was the “foundation” of German values.
It was the basis of the German (and Aurtian) anti -semitism that he picked up on. And the apparent argument that if Hitler didn't go to Church he must be an atheist should up either the poor reasoning or craftiness of out posting pal here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Objective Detective View Post
Read a book. Anyone who says that Einstein was an Atheist without a doubt like they knew him personally is an idiot!

"According to biographer Walter Isaacson, Einstein was more inclined to denigrate atheists than religious people.[30] Einstein said in correspondence, "[T]he fanatical atheists...are like slaves who are still feeling the weight of their chains which they have thrown off after hard struggle. They are creatures who—in their grudge against the traditional 'opium of the people'—cannot hear the music of the spheres."[30][31] Although he did not believe in a personal God, he indicated that he would never seek to combat such belief because "such a belief seems to me preferable to the lack of any transcendental outlook"
Also,
"In 1940 Time magazine quoted Einstein lauding the Catholic Church for its role in opposing the Nazis:

Only the Church stood squarely across the path of Hitler's campaign for suppressing truth. I never had any special interest in the Church before, but now I feel a great affection and admiration because the Church alone has had the courage and persistence to stand for intellectual truth and moral freedom. I am forced thus to confess that what I once despised I now praise unreservedly"

Read the link and learn something! Stop your pretentious and false rhetoric of propaganda!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religi...lbert_Einstein
Why don't you learn something, instead of trying to make the facts dance to your tune.

(from the same article)Einstein called himself an agnostic rather than an atheist, stating: "I have repeatedly said that in my opinion the idea of a personal god is a childlike one. You may call me an agnostic, but I do not share the crusading spirit of the professional atheist whose fervor is mostly due to a painful act of liberation from the fetters of religious indoctrination received in youth. I prefer an attitude of humility corresponding to the weakness of our intellectual understanding of nature and of our own being."[11] In an interview published by the German poet George Sylvester Viereck, Einstein stated, "I am not an Atheist."[8] According to Prince Hubertus, Einstein said, "In view of such harmony in the cosmos which I, with my limited human mind, am able to recognize, there are yet people who say there is no God. But what really makes me angry is that they quote me for the support of such views."[28]In 1945 Guy Raner, Jr. wrote a letter to Einstein, asking him if it was true that a Jesuit priest had caused Einstein to convert from atheism. Einstein replied, "I have never talked to a Jesuit priest in my life and I am astonished by the audacity to tell such lies about me. From the viewpoint of a Jesuit priest I am, of course, and have always been an atheist. ... It is always misleading to use anthropomorphical concepts in dealing with things outside the human sphere—childish analogies. We have to admire in humility the beautiful harmony of the structure of this world—as far as we can grasp it, and that is all."[29]

Sure, I take on board Einstein's reservation about atheism. I won't even speculate about which side he'd be on -atheism or religion - if he were alive today, but even if it was legitimate to hold up a Physicist as an authority figure to support your religious agenda, you cannot be allowed to misuse and fiddle the views of that fine scientist to suit yourself.

Quote:
You have much opinion but little fact to back up your dark-sky pseudo religious views. you are not proving anything or positively influencing anyone with them as well.

Does the term live and let live mean anything to you?
I have povided a lot of backup, and I did above. It may be ignored or it may not. Your unilateral personal declarations count for nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 09:31 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,220,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Please provide proof Hitler was a Christian. Everything I've seen was that he was into the occult and hated Christianity.
For sure he hated the Jews, and he was baptized and confirmed in the Roman Catholic faith.

Old 01-13-2018, 09:46 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,348,627 times
Quote:
A world of Atheists would not solve any problems but only make it worse. They are full of nonsense and ignorance.
Hmmmmmm! Really?
Think religion makes society less violent? Think again.
Quote:
Take homicide. According to the United Nations' 2011 Global Study on Homicide, of the 10 nations with the highest homicide rates, all are very religious, and many — such as Colombia, Mexico, El Salvador and Brazil — are among the most theistic nations in the world. Of the nations with the lowest homicide rates, nearly all are very secular, with seven ranking among the least theistic nations, such as Sweden, Japan, Norway and the Netherlands.

Old 01-13-2018, 10:42 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
Which Church did Hitler go to? Any proof or factual info links to back up your ignorant assertions about Hitler?
You appear to have missed (or more likely, ignored) post #16

Old 01-14-2018, 12:45 AM

11,021 posts, read 5,987,049 times
Quote:
Albert Einstein was NOT an Atheist, you fail again. Come back with proof or facts that he was! Atheists are sick and self-loathing/serving people that use the faux-religion of Atheism to boost their ego and make them feel more intelligent than Believers because in FACT Believers have done infinitely more for the human race already than Atheists ever will.

There are good and not so good people in life, A world of Atheists would not solve any problems but only make it worse. They are full of nonsense and ignorance.
That's fine, maybe they have. Only thing is, you are not providing any examples nor names of those theists. You are just making a blanket statement.

And by the way, why do I need to provide proof about Einstein? YOU just made a claim that he was not atheist. How about YOU provide the proof for YOUR statement? "Come back with proof or facts..." Your words.

And how would you know that A world of Atheists would not solve any problems but only make it worse? Here's another "Come back with proof or facts..." Your words again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Take homicide. According to the United Nations' 2011 Global Study on Homicide, of the 10 nations with the highest homicide rates, all are very religious, and many — such as Colombia, Mexico, El Salvador and Brazil — are among the most theistic nations in the world. Of the nations with the lowest homicide rates, nearly all are very secular, with seven ranking among the least theistic nations, such as Sweden, Japan, Norway and the Netherlands.
Thanks urban.

Last edited by 303Guy; 01-14-2018 at 12:54 AM..

Old 01-14-2018, 01:04 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
I logged on today as I had a message. Then had a glance at the new threads and found this one whose only reason for being is to spread hate and bigotry. Yes I could posts some atheists who I admire but why not at the same time Hindu, Muslims and Christians as well as the multitude whose religious belief we do not even know. that I also admire as well? There are even at least a dozen believers on these forums more worthy of respect and admiration that the OP and his irk who wish to promote hatred against those they do not share a belief with.

OP, if Jesus was real you are proof that that his words are meaningless, at least to you.

I hope that the atheist, Chistian, pagan and Muslim people I do admire here are having a great year. The hateful ones not so much.

Old 01-14-2018, 01:21 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Atheists, who is your favorite non-believer historically and what did they accomplish that makes you admire them?

Believers, who is your favorite Believer historically and what did they accomplish that you admire?

A picture is worth many words so feel free to add a pic.
Considering more people have died in the name of a religion or a god/deity....I would say atheism would of saved countless lives

Quote:
Self righteous atheists are proud of their religion and apparently think it it best for everyone.

So the question begs, What exactly have Atheists accomplished for the United States with their thinking?

Wouldn’t atheists actually have no religion as atheism itself is lack of belief in a deity?

I can tell you right now that I met a lot of “religious” people who absolutely do not follow the supposedly religious teachings of the religion theire supposedly faithful in. I had “Christian” people take my money and never finished jobs they were hired for, I had these same self professed religious people lie cheat and steal from me. I take people on a case by case basis. Your religion or color of skin is secondary to the person you are. Lots of religious people are hypocrites. Obviously that’s not all of the people I meet but enough that someone professing a religious/god angle I tend to be a bit more weary

Old 01-14-2018, 01:33 PM

20,005 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Albert Einstein was NOT an Atheist, you fail again. Come back with proof or facts that he was! Atheists are sick and self-loathing/serving people that use the faux-religion of Atheism to boost their ego and make them feel more intelligent than Believers because in FACT Believers have done infinitely more for the human race already than Atheists ever will.

There are good and not so good people in life, A world of Atheists would not solve any problems but only make it worse. They are full of nonsense and ignorance.
Einstein was not a fundamentalist Christian, or even a liberal Christian. Fundamentalists like to say that he believed in god, as if the god he believed in had any resemblance to what their dogma describes, or as if he would have endorsed their dogma (pro tip: he most definitely would not, in fact, he described such dogma as primitive and childish).

He simply said, more or less, that to the extent he believes in "god" he sees god in the natural world as revealed by science. That is where his sense of awe and wonder came from. Like many great men he defies classification but the most I think you can justify saying about him (maybe) is that he was a deist -- a theist who believes in a non-interventionist god. More likely he was more of a Spinozan.

Old 01-16-2018, 05:40 PM

19,722 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Believers have killed millions of people for not believing the same way they do.

Old 01-16-2018, 06:25 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,484,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Hmmmmmm! Really?
Think religion makes society less violent? Think again.

Quote:
And then there's the American South - the most religious part of the country, and the part of the country with the highest violent crime rate. There's Canada - less religious than the United States, lower violent crime rate. Western Europe compared to Eastern Europe? Northern Europe compared to Southern Europe? In both cases, the higher incidence of religiosity matches the higher crime rates.

Note that people like Objective Detective (who appears to be neither objective nor particularly interested in seeking facts, but it seems like those users who use their handles to tout traits such as being objective or logical or rational are usually anything but) always use the conditional tense when prattling on about how people would behave in the absence of religious belief. But they don't have to say 'would' or 'could' because we can compare less religious countries, states and regions with more religious ones. And therein we can objectively see whether or not the claim that religiosity goes along with moral behavior. [It doesn't, of course]

But that would be practicing science, which is of course anathema to those whose views are shaped by faith.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality