Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 01:07 PM

678 posts, read 429,601 times

Advertisements

Generalizing obviously, but one thing I've notice driving through the Bible belt is the wealthier towns and cities feel far less religious - far less churches per capita, less Thank You Jesus signs, no religious billboards. And thinking about my friends and family, the very financially successful ones (doctors, entrepreneurs, inventors) are not church goers.

Curious if there are statistics with this or if it seems the same to others and why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 02:33 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo10 View Post
Generalizing obviously, but one thing I've notice driving through the Bible belt is the wealthier towns and cities feel far less religious - far less churches per capita, less Thank You Jesus signs, no religious billboards. And thinking about my friends and family, the very financially successful ones (doctors, entrepreneurs, inventors) are not church goers.

Curious if there are statistics with this or if it seems the same to others and why.
Are the religious less wealthy?

Old 02-17-2018, 06:36 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,484,575 times
Quote:

The answer is Yes, but not dramatically so.

Income distribution - Religion in America: U.S. Religious Data, Demographics and Statistics | Pew Research Center

Old 02-17-2018, 06:42 PM

11,103 posts, read 7,159,415 times
Generally yes. But that doesn't mean you can't combine great wealth and a healthy / deep spiritual conviction and way of living.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:01 PM

20,005 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Quote:

I believe if you plot out the geographic location of fundamentalist churches they are going to be predominantly rural and suburban, seldom inner-city urban. This fits with the tendency for urban areas to be more politically liberal and more areligious.

My oldest surviving brother attends an inner-city fundamentalist church and I note that it's quite a bit more diverse, of necessity, than most fundamentalist churches, and this leads to it being less dogmatic, and a tad more liberal.

When I was in Bible Institute, I recall one time a speaker was invited to our chapel service who ran an inner-city ministry to drug addicts. He made some points that caused the President of the school to squirm visibly in his seat on the podium, and this speaker was never re-invited. Two of his points that I recall were that some Christians are going to be darned surprised who gets into heaven with them, and, related to this, you can't reach addicts and other suffering disenfranchised people if you're starting from a place of judgment. I can see why this would have been discomfiting to an authoritarian like our school's President.

I also note, anecdotally, that wealthy theists tend to be more liberal. But not exclusively. The post-Christian Unitarian-Universalists are a merger of two denominations, one tended to be more blue-collar working people, the other more elitist / brahman / wealthy types. The inside joke among UUs is that one group thought god too good to condemn man, the other thought man was too good for god to condemn.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:03 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,068,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Generally yes. But that doesn't mean you can't combine great wealth and a healthy / deep spiritual conviction and way of living.
And the opposite is true as well.

You can combine great poverty and a healthy / deep naturalistic conviction and way of living, but it doesn't seem to happen generally (at least in the United States and Non-Western Countries).

Old 02-17-2018, 08:10 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Utah billionaire and philanthropist, Jon Huntsman, Sr. (father of the presidential candidate and current ambassador to Russia) died earlier this month. He was born dirt poor and worked hard to achieve his wealth, most of which he ended up giving away. He held many leadership positions in the LDS Church.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
Interesting, thanks for sharing. Would be interested to see a higher data point than $100k, but I'm guessing the trend would just continue as the household income increases.

Old 02-17-2018, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post

I also note, anecdotally, that wealthy theists tend to be more liberal. But not exclusively. The post-Christian Unitarian-Universalists are a merger of two denominations, one tended to be more blue-collar working people, the other more elitist / brahman / wealthy types. The inside joke among UUs is that one group thought god too good to condemn man, the other thought man was too good for god to condemn.
It may be a joke because the threat of God condemning man for eternity, especially for having differing religious beliefs probably seems absurd to a lot of UUs.

Old 02-18-2018, 03:58 AM

9,690 posts, read 10,020,758 times
The Key to the blessing of God through Jesus is how do you need God , so if wealth block your need for God , or lack of understand block your need for God , either way and other ways all end up the same , as believers must need God ...... Still there are billionaires and Millionaires who are Christians , as they need God because they may fear losing God because they cannot go through the eye of a camel .... See God knows who need Him and who puts Him in a box , and blesses them that need Him
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality