Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 10:54 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
You make my point for me.
They couldn't swap minds.
Interesting Idea. Jewish remarkable intellect is evidence for God, eh? Interesting idea to think through. Like we would all do well to convert to Judaism ("Jesus for Jews") and if the Quran is just the work of Men - write another like it!

And come to that, wouldn't God, while telling them how to beat the Arabs, mention, by the way, that they can now eat prawns because he had his own son stapled up for their sins.

It seems to me that you can't have it both ways. Either the Jews are right and Christianity is wrong, or they are wrong (as regards Jesus) and that they won is not down to God but being there firstest with the mostest.

Old 04-03-2018, 06:15 AM

16,781 posts, read 4,986,375 times
Quote:
Let's see, all the scientists in this documentary compendium are atheist. Some nobels.
https://youtu.be/z4E_bT4ecgk

Clever editing on that video. Perhaps if you linked to what the scientists actually said instead of linking to a dishonest Youtube site (as you usually do), you would see how your argument falls flat on it's face.

Quote:
No the cosmological constant is not explained, its explained away by a gross violation of occhams razor by invoking a multiverse.
From wikipedia - Occam's razor (also Ockham's razor or Ocham's razor; Latin: lex parsimoniae "law of parsimony") is the problem-solving principle that, when presented with competing hypothetical answers to a problem, one should select the one that makes the fewest assumptions.

Repeat until you understand Occam's razor.

Quote:
Atheists clamor for evidence, when they get it they go into turbo charged denial, at least be honest, you are just not willing to believe.
What part of 'quote mining' do you NOT understand? The video lied to you. At least be honest, you are either happy with this because you are just not willing to admit you have no evidence, or you can not understand the evidence.

Old 04-03-2018, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Multiverses (if that is the "Explanation" of the Constant) is a hypothesis, I am aware.
Hypotheses. There are more than one.

Quote:
I luv it here.
It is more a break from work for me. Unfortunately I may be away for some time if get a certain contract. And then the summer break with the family.

I think I will miss this place.

Old 04-03-2018, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Hypotheses. There are more than one.
More than one multiverse hypothesis? Ok, but it could be argued that the multiverse is a hypothesis, as Abiogenesis is, but there are different versions of it. However, thanks for the heads-up.

Quote:
It is more a break from work for me. Unfortunately I may be away for some time if get a certain contract. And then the summer break with the family.

I think I will miss this place.
In my experience, working is no barrier to intense posting. But if you do vanish, you have contributed immensely during the time you have been here, and your English is - so far as I can tell - perfect.

Old 04-03-2018, 07:41 AM

Quote:
In my experience, working is no barrier to intense posting.
Unfortunately intense posting is a barrier to work. Fortunately, as an independent worker I get to choose when I work. Unfortunately, my tax man also has a say in this.

Quote:
In my experience, working is no barrier to intense posting. But if you do vanish, you have contributed immensely during the time you have been here, ...
Thank you.

Quote:
... and your English is - so far as I can tell - perfect.
Ha, but you have not seen me correct words like don't from do'nt, and I still have problems with putting verbs in the correct part of a sentence, especially when I stop using English for a few months.

Old 04-03-2018, 08:21 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
On the Christian forum someone pointed out how we (atheist/agnostics) use circular reasoning. I didn't get an answer plus it's off topic on that thread. I don't get how I am doing that and sometimes I need my cognitive errors pointed out to me...............So, please explain.
aren't you thinking of evangelicals circular logic when they say there is one god because the bible said so and the bible is right because there is one god?

Or the bible is inerrant because the bible says it is inerrant?

Old 04-03-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
=Harry Diogenes;51503776]Unfortunately intense posting is a barrier to work.

I was typing "So what...?" But then I remembered, you weren't British.

Quote:
TFortunately, as an independent worker I get to choose when I work. Unfortunately, my tax man also has a say in this.

Understood, but don't be a stranger, as they say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
aren't you thinking of evangelicals circular logic when they say there is one god because the bible said so and the bible is right because there is one god?

Or the bible is inerrant because the bible says it is inerrant?
I think so. As I recall they essentially accuse atheism of using a faith -based belief -system ["Religion"] or claim that they 'Know', and then appeal to the claim as support for what they claim...I think.

This is based on the Theist God -claim based on Faith and which is why it is so important for them to make out that atheism is a (Faith -claim -based) religion. Indeed it is linked with an accusation that atheism requires faith.

This is all total rubbish and is simply projecting their own modes of thinking (which they do) onto us (which we don't). And is why they keep insisting on it no matter how much we correct them.

It takes NO faith to not accept a claim without decent evidence and (as regards evidence) it take No faith to credit the validated results of science.

This is simple, which is why their failure to take the point on board is neither inability to comprehend, nor stupidity (though it resembles it) but is another symptom of Faith -based denial.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 04-03-2018 at 12:31 PM..

Old 04-03-2018, 05:25 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,068,060 times
Quote:
More than one multiverse hypothesis? Ok, but it could be argued that the multiverse is a hypothesis, as Abiogenesis is, but there are different versions of it. However, thanks for the heads-up.
[...]
Indeed, there is more than one Monotheism/God hypothesis. There are many Monotheism hypotheses.
And then there are Monotheism subhypotheses and Monotheism infra-subhypotheses.

That is not to mention just Theism in general, to include polytheisms.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 04-03-2018 at 05:37 PM..

Old 04-03-2018, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Indeed, there is more than one Monotheism/God hypothesis. There are many Monotheism hypotheses.
And then there are Monotheism subhypotheses and Monotheism infra-subhypotheses.

That is not to mention just Theism in general, to include polytheisms.
And Polyentheisms, don't forget.

Old 08-05-2018, 11:16 AM

2,468 posts, read 3,132,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I appreciate you admitting that we can scrap the bible due to it being a "twisted source".
I didn’t state that, and make it a point not to subscribe to polarized thinking. The bible has been written, edited, translated and re-edited many times by fallible human beings. Yet, it has persevered for longer and better than many less ancient anthropological artifacts. It has largely shaped many cultures, including my own, so it would be ignorant to ignore such influences.

Also, when taken symbolically, there are interesting truths. Ie: The parable (fable) of the donkey talking to Ballem to stop being abusive....donkeys represent beasts of burden, also women (who carry life also).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality