Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 11:45 AM

88,647 posts, read 84,928,808 times

Advertisements

I thought I would relay this little story as a lighter-hearted side of our spiritual practices.

As I've said on here many times, I am active in a very small Episcopal church, a community of people of different backgrounds that some might see as odd, but we see as interesting.

The priest we had for the past five years retired to Florida along with his Rottweiler, Princess, who occasionally used to attend church with his wife. Another parishioner regularly attends with Rosie, a chihuahua mix, who sits quietly in the pew or her owner's purse while she goes up to get communion. Everybody pets Rosie along the way. Sometimes Snow, a mutt, comes along with her owner.

These dogs also double as sheep, cows, and a burro at the annual children's pageant. Another parishioner makes their costumes.

As a traditional Episcopal congregation, we observe St. Francis's Day in October, and that observance includes bringing in pets of all kinds to be blessed by the priest.

We have not yet been able to find a permanent part-time priest, so we have had a couple of retired priests who have been serving on a "supply" basis. Recently we learned of another retired priest who was interested in working as supply to start and who might consider the part-time position. He attended our church on Sunday to see what we were like. No dogs were present.

During the coffee hour, he spoke with the church admin and told him that he would be happy to start next month as our supply priest, but there was one condition. His vision is impaired, so his wife has to drive him, and she will only attend a church where she can bring her dog. Would that be OK? We assured him that they would fit right in.

One day last year after a local house was found to contain 286 dogs as a result of an attempt at dog breeding gotten out of hand and the dogs were brought to several local shelters, the parish did an impromptu collection of cash and blankets and other supplies to donate to the shelter nearest our church. We see this as part of being responsible to all creation.

To those of you who attend religious services, are animals welcome along with their people? Does your church participate in any fundraisers for animal-related charity? This is the first church I have ever attended where four-legged creatures are part of the parish.

(And no, I am not ever taking my cats to church.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2018, 11:56 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,043,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I thought I would relay this little story as a lighter-hearted side of our spiritual practices.

As I've said on here many times, I am active in a very small Episcopal church, a community of people of different backgrounds that some might see as odd, but we see as interesting.

The priest we had for the past five years retired to Florida along with his Rottweiler, Princess, who occasionally used to attend church with his wife. Another parishioner regularly attends with Rosie, a chihuahua mix, who sits quietly in the pew or her owner's purse while she goes up to get communion. Everybody pets Rosie along the way. Sometimes Snow, a mutt, comes along with her owner.

These dogs also double as sheep, cows, and a burro at the annual children's pageant. Another parishioner makes their costumes.

As a traditional Episcopal congregation, we observe St. Francis's Day in October, and that observance includes bringing in pets of all kinds to be blessed by the priest.

We have not yet been able to find a permanent part-time priest, so we have had a couple of retired priests who have been serving on a "supply" basis. Recently we learned of another retired priest who was interested in working as supply to start and who might consider the part-time position. He attended our church on Sunday to see what we were like. No dogs were present.

During the coffee hour, he spoke with the church admin and told him that he would be happy to start next month as our supply priest, but there was one condition. His vision is impaired, so his wife has to drive him, and she will only attend a church where she can bring her dog. Would that be OK? We assured him that they would fit right in.

One day last year after a local house was found to contain 286 dogs as a result of an attempt at dog breeding gotten out of hand and the dogs were brought to several local shelters, the parish did an impromptu collection of cash and blankets and other supplies to donate to the shelter nearest our church. We see this as part of being responsible to all creation.

To those of you who attend religious services, are animals welcome along with their people? Does your church participate in any fundraisers for animal-related charity? This is the first church I have ever attended where four-legged creatures are part of the parish.

(And no, I am not ever taking my cats to church.)
Can't say that I've ever tried to take my dog into church. Not sure what would happen.

I know my pastor has a fish in a bowl on his book shelf. He's also considered getting a cat to keep in the church.

Old 03-20-2018, 02:10 PM

22,272 posts, read 19,263,570 times
Service dogs and guide dogs yes. Otherwise no. A lady in israel has a guide dog with her at synagogue. The dog knows when to stand up or lie down at the right times during prayer services, "On Rosh Hashanah, she stood each time the shofar was blown."

Old 03-20-2018, 02:29 PM

22,272 posts, read 19,263,570 times
Jewish law specifically addresses requirement to be kind to animals. For instance animals are not allowed to work on the Sabbath. Here is story of the cow who observed Shabbat:

There was once a Jew who owned a cow with which he plowed his field. Then it came to pass that this Jew became impoverished and was forced to sell his cow to a non-Jew.

The new owner plowed with the cow throughout the week, but when her took her out to the field on Shabbat, she kneeled under the yoke and refused to do any work. He hit her with his whip, but she would not budge from her place.

So he came back to the Jew and said to him, "Take back your cow! All week I worked with her, but today I took her out to the field and she refuses to do anything... "

The Jew said to the cow's purchaser: "Come with me, and I will get her to plow." When they arrived to the field the cow lay, the Jew spoke into her ear. "Oh Cow, Cow! When you were in my domain, you rested on Shabbat. But now that my sins have caused me to sell you to this gentile, please, stand up and do the will of your master!"

Immediately the cow stood, prepared to work. Said the gentile to the Jew: "I'm not letting you go until you tell me what you did and what you said to her. Have you bewitched her?" The Jew told him what he said to the cow.

When this man heard this, he was shaken and amazed. He said to himself: "If this creature, which has neither language or intelligence, recognizes her Creator, should not I, whom G‑d created in His image and likeness and imbued me with intelligence and understanding?"

So he went and converted to Judaism and merited to study Torah. He became known as Yochanan ben Torta ("Yochanan son of the Cow")

Old 03-20-2018, 06:40 PM

^Loved that story, Tzaph!

Old 03-21-2018, 02:46 AM

9,693 posts, read 10,032,275 times
Seen a bat in the belfries at this one tall church

Old 03-22-2018, 02:26 AM

6,957 posts, read 6,890,225 times
I am not one, however I guess the people who believe that animals cannot go to Heaven because they dont have souls are keeping quiet about this, but they are out there... or so I have heard.

Old 03-22-2018, 11:30 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,043,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Seen a bat in the belfries at this one tall church
I attended a church where they had bats. The sanctuary was pretty big...could seat 450-500 with a balcony, so it was tall, as well. I was there for a meeting late, and when they turned off the lights, we saw bats flying around in the sanctuary. They didn't bother anyone.

Old 03-22-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I attended a church where they had bats. The sanctuary was pretty big...could seat 450-500 with a balcony, so it was tall, as well. I was there for a meeting late, and when they turned off the lights, we saw bats flying around in the sanctuary. They didn't bother anyone.
That would be pretty cool. I like bats.

Old 03-22-2018, 12:29 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,213,996 times
Since I attend the Outside Church of Mother Nature, critters are integral members of the congregation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality