Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 08:15 AM

4,437 posts, read 4,871,963 times

Advertisements

At the Catholic church I used to attend the former pastor had his older dog in church at every Mass he celebrated.

The first time I attended I noticed before Mass the pastor used to go around and talk to the people in the pews it was then I notice children bending over in front of the priest I leaned over to observe children bending over to pet his dog. At the beginning of Mass the priest usually enters the church from the rear with others that would be taking an active part in the Mass and they would proceed up to the altar with the dog following and at the end of Mass the dog would follow the small procession from the altar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 08:20 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,606,902 times
humans are part of the animal kingdom.

Old 04-11-2018, 01:48 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,844,660 times
When i was a kid, my Catholic friends took their pets to "The Blessing of the Animals". I'm not sure what the religious ritual was about, but it was something beneficial to the animals and the humans who took part.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:03 PM

87 posts, read 58,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackberryMerlot View Post
This is in the Bible, it is what God said to Job

Hast thou given the horse strength? hast thou clothed his neck with thunder?
Canst thou make him afraid as a grasshopper? the glory of his nostrils is terrible.
He paweth in the valley, and rejoiceth in his strength: he goeth on to meet the armed men.
He mocketh at fear, and is not affrighted; neither turneth he back from the sword.
The quiver rattleth against him, the glittering spear and the shield.
He swalloweth the ground with fierceness and rage: neither believeth he that it is the sound of the trumpet.
He saith among the trumpets, Ha, ha; and he smelleth the battle afar off, the thunder of the captains, and the shouting.

Here is my black stallion. I would like to take him to the blessings of the animals day and maybe the priest will bless him out in the parking lot.

Your horse is stunning. Reminds me of the black stallion and I have to laugh as I have a 16.3 American Saddlebred Chestnut that I think of as Flame in the Black Stallion series although my horse is a gelding. haha.

Old 04-12-2018, 07:53 AM

88,669 posts, read 84,974,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
When i was a kid, my Catholic friends took their pets to "The Blessing of the Animals". I'm not sure what the religious ritual was about, but it was something beneficial to the animals and the humans who took part.
The Episcopal Church does that also. It's a lot of fun. I used to take my daughter and niece and their guinea pigs to The Blessing of the Animals.

It's a tradition tied to Francis of Assisi, a man born into wealth in the 12th century in Italy who gave up all his material possessions and went into the woods and preached to the birds, among other things. He wrote the poem called Brother Sun, Sister Moon and his take on Christianity was that that nature reflects God, we are part of creation, not apart from it, and that we should nurture our connections with nature and the other creatures with whom we share the world.

My favorite "saint", in case you can't tell ,and I learned a lot from what he said and what was written about him that resonated with me on my own spiritual journey.

St. Francis of Assisi's day on the traditional liturgical calendar is October 4, and so the Blessing of the Animals is usually done on the nearest Sunday.

Old 04-13-2018, 10:05 PM

I suppose Church would be nicer if dogs were in church actually. It would be a great idea if dogs were at church.

Old 04-13-2018, 10:09 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,708,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
humans are part of the animal kingdom.
But animals are not part of the human kingdom. Animals are here for our use. In some countries Fido & Kitty would be the main course at dinner.

Old 04-13-2018, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
But animals are not part of the human kingdom. Animals are here for our use. In some countries Fido & Kitty would be the main course at dinner.

Well US churches could have animals. Some parts people eat each other so what...I guess churches should close down.

Old 04-13-2018, 11:06 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,222,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Animals are here for many reasons, not just our use. That's human hubris.

We share the planet with them. They have much to teach, if one is open to learning.

And not stiff-necked.

Old 04-13-2018, 11:14 PM

11,133 posts, read 7,199,272 times
I enjoy animals more than most humans. They're free of so much b.s. that is common in mankind. We'll probably eventually wipe ourselves out, and they'll carry on just fine afterwards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality