Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2018, 08:18 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Any godling with wants is not worthy of a capital G.

You are fooling no one.
God wants you to be happy joyous and free too. But theres that little problem of your free will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Yes, the link is that people with autism are less likely to see false positives caused by teleology.

But well done for getting cause and effect wrong, and for using autism as a weapon. But then I guess that's teleological false positives for you.
Are you autistic then?

Old 04-03-2018, 08:22 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
God wants you to be happy joyous and free too. But theres that little problem of your free will.
I'm not interested in what your little godling wants. <---- free will at work

Old 04-03-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
1 ask for evidence.
2 complain the evidence is not proof. <-- There's the lie.

Corrected for you.
What did you correct?

Old 04-03-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I'm not interested in what your little godling wants. <---- free will at work
Ok, glad to see atheists accept the existence of free will again, for a few yrs they argued it was a delusion. Which was a delusion

Old 04-03-2018, 08:34 AM

16,781 posts, read 4,986,375 times
Quote:
Are you autistic then?
No. But part of my work is understanding how the human brain works, and it's peripheral sciences.

I also have autistic friends.

Old 04-03-2018, 08:38 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Ok, glad to see atheists accept the existence of free will again, for a few yrs they argued it was a delusion. Which was a delusion
I'm not an atheist.

Old 04-03-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
No. But part of my work is understanding how the human brain works, and it's peripheral sciences.

I also have autistic friends.
I might have been autistic, I was diagnosed severely depressed but I was not aware.
The psychiatrist said I had been depressed since childhood so had no other reference point. I could have been diagnosed with many ailments because I was all over the place.

Bottom line is, once I began to allow for the existence of God I began to recover.
In a matter of days I became aware I was reacting to the world differently, the formless fear that shaped my state of being dissolved .
The doctor wasas stunned as I was, he let me wean myself off meds, I've never been the same since and I can't say I'm normal because I don't know what normal is, plus anyone experiencing direct conscious contact with what religions call God will never be normal.

The doctor is Padraic Burns. He's associated with BU Medical center in Boston.

Its been over 15 yrs now, I conclude I experienced a major neuro rearrangement, a rewiring that restored sanity.
A good psychiatrist can tell someone how sick they are and track progress but they don't have any power . Anti fepressents were ok but I didn't want to live half assed staring off into space drooling when people were talking to me. But many...most will accept that vs change. A sick mind fights to stay sick.

Old 04-03-2018, 09:17 AM

18,496 posts, read 9,164,949 times
Quote:
I might have been autistic, I was diagnosed severely depressed but I was not aware.
The psychiatrist said I had been depressed since childhood so had no other reference point. I could have been diagnosed with many ailments because I was all over the place.

Bottom line is, once I began to allow for the existence of God I began to recover.
In a matter of days I became aware I was reacting to the world differently, the formless fear that shaped my state of being dissolved .
The doctor wasas stunned as I was, he let me wean myself off meds, I've never been the same since and I can't say I'm normal because I don't know what normal is, plus anyone experiencing direct conscious contact with what religions call God will never be normal.

The doctor is Padraic Burns. He's associated with BU Medical center in Boston.

Its been over 15 yrs now, I conclude I experienced a major neuro rearrangement, a rewiring that restored sanity.
A good psychiatrist can tell someone how sick they are and track progress but they don't have any power . Anti fepressents were ok but I didn't want to live half assed staring off into space drooling when people were talking to me. But many...most will accept that vs change. A sick mind fights to stay sick.
Religion is a kind of placebo that “works” for some people. But be aware of the dangers. Powerful, mind-altering *ideas* can be as dangerous as powerful mind-altering *drugs*.

My father went off the deep end with religion and it caused him to do some pretty crazy stuff (like quitting his job when he had a large family to support). He managed to draw my mother into his delusion, thanks to a coincidence in dates between a major event in my father’s life and an early traumatic event in her life. My father is now well beyond the “event horizon” of fundamentalist Christianity, and there’s no chance that he’ll ever escape.

Old 04-03-2018, 06:19 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,068,060 times
Quote:
Tell that to those who were touting Sweden as the happiest atheist country in the world.
I just googled, Sweden is the most atheist western country.
#1 in suicide.
#1 in rape.
The good news is they are the first to open atheist graveyards in the west.
That's special.
I actually looked at both statistics. From actual government sources CIA world factbook (they didn't list rape or suicide rates, that I could find) says:

Church of Sweden (Lutheran) 63%,
other (includes Roman Catholic, Orthodox, Baptist, Muslim, Jewish, and Buddhist) 17% (2016 est.)
That makes ~20% (1/5!) to be non-religious including atheist, although only ~4% name themselves as non-religious and ~12% say they are merely unaffiliated (likely "spiritual").

I've also heard that Swedish law considers letting the condom break to be a case of "rape." And most sexual assault is considered rape, unlike in the United States. And their conservatives blame "Muslim immigrants" for most of their actual rape cases overall. Though they are probably lying even if minorities are over-represented in rape cases. This (and other reasons) is why they say that rape seems to be double that of the United States even though 80% of their population is religious and controls all laws and law enforcement. Becuase of their "wider, more feminist" definition of rape, and immigrants. I think it has to do with a growing anti-feminist counterculture, but whatever.

Still, such a large amount of nontheists means a lot of religious people shunning a lot of ex-religious kids. Who then (completely at the fault of the religious majority) commit suicide

HIV in Sweden is ~0.20%; In the United States, it is ~0.34%.

Average age at death in Sweden is 82yo, in the United States, it is 80yo.

Obesity in Sweden is ~20.6%; in the United States, it is 36.2%.

The murder rate in Sweden is 0.0011%; in the United States, it is .0049%. That is 4.5x more murders.

Etc.

And according to the website below, "violent rape" is 14x in the United States than in Sweden. And the suicide rate in the United States is almost double that in Sweden.

http://www.nationmaster.com/country-...-States/Health

No idea what "nationmaster" is though, but I'd wager it is more reliable than whatever "I googled it" is supposed to mean.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 04-03-2018 at 06:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality