Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2018, 09:52 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,068,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I don’t doubt that your experience was real. I just don’t believe that your experience gives you some kind of “special” knowledge or some kind of “natural authority” over the rest of us.

Quite a few of us skeptics and non-believers would shut up and keep to ourselves if Believers would quit setting themselves up as authorities over everyone else.
I, for one, wouldn't. I am a believer in many things, and most often the religious are the disbelievers. The whole point of my rough life is to help the less fortunate through reason (without getting hurt physically by the unreasonable) and to enjoy and share human awareness with all who want to share in it.

To think that it is fine if they are "happy left alone" is to think that:
it is fine since a flying moth is happy as it draws closer to the flames.
If you immediately know that the smoke could be fire,
then you sound the warning bells.
Any slight ember of a belief can become a wildfire of a dogma.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2018, 09:55 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
"Reason" had a lower place (it's proper place) in ancient times because they were more in tune with the world. The world is an unreasonable place. Nature is not reasonable, and humans are not any more so than the rest of nature.
I must disagree, especially with the bolded.

Don't blame nature because you haven't learned her rules.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I love these threads. I love hearing about people's experiences. I've had my own and it changed my life in extreme beneficial ways. I think the human mind contains some untapped power that could really benefit us all. I don't think these experiences prove or disprove a realm we are not yet aware of. I quickly found a psychological explanation for what I experienced and that doesn't make it any less healing to me. I can't speak to what others saw and felt because it may be like mine or it may not be. I've noticed similarities in some but not others. I think we have a long way to go understanding the natural world around us and should put things in an unknown or maybe category before we say we KNOW what it is.
For some reason, I've always found knowledge and thought to be beneficial and awe-inspiring. But I know many people who shudder at the thought of knowing or thinking more. I feel that "supernatural" can often feel like a relaxing "stopper" for them.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
As far as my understanding goes, the bible never mentions a whale as such, just a big fish. Whales were unknown to the ancients in that region. I'm open to correction here.

But the question of the ancients having more intuitive knowledge is one I have asked myself before. They did live closer to nature back then, so to speak.
Whales were known in the Mediterranean. Today there are even Sperm whales that migrate around there.

The thing was, that a whale could not swallow a human whole because of its anatomy. The ancient language (and I'm guessing Hebrew, Greek, Roman and English religious leader's understanding) was vague and their knowledge apparently lacking.

For the Hebrews, the word for a whale, or a dragon, or serpent, or large reptile could have been "tan" to them; and it is more honestly translated as simply "sea-monster". But in Greek, they did have a word for whale (ketos) and a word for fish (ixthus). Yet ketos could also mean "shark" or "sea-monster" if relying on older meanings than at the assumed time that the word "ketos" was used for the Greek translation. A shark is a big fish, I guess.

In the baby-proof form, the story of Jonah is comparable to Pinocchio.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 03-24-2018 at 10:42 PM..

Old 03-24-2018, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Does anyone find it interesting the in the fictional story of Jonah he was in close proximity to a whale? Nowadays we know that their brains are larger than humans. But I doubt they would have known about this kind of stuff back then. Unless the ancients had more intuitive knowledge of this topic. I wonder if the whale had anything to do with his own spiritual experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiethegreat View Post
Reason didn't dominate like it does now,so yes the ancients had more intuition.Most Europeans in the west descend from tribal people - celts,suebi(germanics)Slavs,Britons,etc they weren't literate or as reasoned.Intuition was respected,even the Germans thought women were divine for their ability to use their intuition and prophecise,Google veleda to learn more on this.
Quote:
"Reason" had a lower place (it's proper place) in ancient times because they were more in tune with the world. The world is an unreasonable place. Nature is not reasonable, and humans are not any more so than the rest of nature.
Quote:
Reason can be very beautiful and I value order,but intuition shouldn't be negated and banished like it has been.
"intuition" can't be as deeply studied as other phenomena because not many people want to give money to study it.

A worker has to eat and find comfort, after all. That is probably what their intuition would tell them.

Reason's place is Very Very High above our unaware and genetically instinctual ancestors (as helpful as their instincts might have sometimes been to their environment). Yet they literally burned people alive if there was a drought to see if that would help. Very broken instincts are those hormones and hypnotic/unthinking reactions. Like moths to a flame. Like chipmunks to a mouse's brain. Like a mother bird shunning a baby bird if it smells the wrong way.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 03-24-2018 at 10:59 PM..

Old 03-24-2018, 11:16 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,336,686 times
Nature is very unreasonable,she just shakes her shoulders and it's over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I must disagree, especially with the bolded.

Don't blame nature because you haven't learned her rules.

Old 03-24-2018, 11:25 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Reason can be very beautiful and I value order,but intuition shouldn't be negated and banished like it has been.
Exactly. As a matter of fact, in my experience not paying attention to your intuition can have negative effects.

You can learn to tune in to your intuition through practice. Or "back into", I should say, because I think we have it naturally as children but learn to disregard and distance ourselves from it.

Old 03-25-2018, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Nature is very unreasonable,she just shakes her shoulders and it's over.
Unless you study her and treat her correctly, push the right buttons at the right times. Nature is truly as unreasonable as a man.

Both nature and intuition can be studied, and have been. It's all about logistic constraints.

Old 03-25-2018, 01:05 AM

22,183 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Unless you study her and treat her correctly, push the right buttons at the right times. Nature is truly as unreasonable as a man.

Both nature and intuition can be studied, and have been. It's all about logistic constraints.
studying intuition is not the same as using it.
just like studying marriage is not the same as being married.
studying dance is not the same as dancing.
studying the Divine is not the same as being in relationship with the Creator.

Old 03-25-2018, 03:34 AM

3,802 posts, read 2,999,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
studying intuition is not the same as using it.
just like studying marriage is not the same as being married.
studying dance is not the same as dancing.
studying the Divine is not the same as being in relationship with the Creator.
Yeah I remember this lady on TV as a student of the bible, but not a believer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xVBldyy_Oo

https://www.eternitynews.com.au/opin...heist-scholar/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality