Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 08:54 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Gomar Holnyuk View Post
Gandhi slept with naked teen girls.
Chastely.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 08:56 PM

50,823 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Jesus also told the world: "Obey your masters."

As for taking the Bible literally, well, millions of people do exactly that.

If the Bible doesn't actually mean what it says, leaving us to arbitrarily decide what it *really* means, then perhaps the authors should have been more careful about their word usage -- AND God should have found better writers to inspire with his so-called Word.

One would think that inspiring the best authors wouldn't have been a problem for a being who can create universes with but a word ... no?

Except, apparently, it *was* a problem. Because we're not supposed to take the Bible literally. Oh no. Instead, we're supposed to superimpose our *own* meaning onto the Bible.

Want to know why that is? It's because the Bible is immoral, disgusting, soaked in blood, replete with bigotry and racism, it hates women, and all the rest of it. BUT ... in order to keep pace with evolving morality that took most societies away from the superstitious, the clergy had to keep "reinterpreting" the Bible in order to prevent the book from becoming obsolete.

Unfortunately, after 2,000 years of this, the Bible now looks like that car from 1983 that you *still* have, and though it's a rust-bucket jalopy, you keep sinking money into it in order to keep it running. Thus all the doors are different colors, the electronics keep shorting out, neither the heat or the air conditioning works quite right, the passenger side windows don't roll down, it's missing the front-end grill, and the trunk is stuck shut.

Yeah, time to put that clunker out of its misery.
You have a way with words!

Old 05-02-2018, 09:00 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,324,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I'll remember that next time I see you complaining about how the Israelites did things in ancient Israel. If pedophilia is simply a subjective condition, then why would anyone complain about anything another culture does?
What I find so hysterical about this is the FACT that pedophilia isn't codemned ANYWHERE in the Bible.

Neither the Old or the New Testament even HINTS at the immorality of sleeping with children.

So ... why is it wrong, dear BaptistFundie?

God obviously doesn't think it is. So where are you getting your anti-pedophile morality from?

Isn't God and the Bible the penultimate source of morality?

Old 05-02-2018, 10:00 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,920 times
Quote:
That was a pretty serious typo, then. Major, major typo. Might want to consider proofreading before hitting that "post" button.

Nope, I have no particular love of pedophiles, either.

Too bad Gandhi wasn't a pedophile. Then you'd at least have a leg left to stand on. Since he wasn't one, however, your accusations are wholly immaterial. Is it any wonder, then, why a person might be led to believe that your bias is showing?

Why am I not at ALL surprised that you'd rather believe what you feel ... rather than the actual historical record.

This kind of thought process seems to be a pandemic in this country right now. Go with your gut and facts be damned. Better to believe what you *feel* to be true rather than what is *actually* true.

No wonder this country is circling the drain.

I'm not excusing anything. I'm simply trying to tell you what the truth actually is.

But, as I've said, if you'd rather shake your finger at Gandhi and label him a pedophile because, well, you want to, instead of acknowledging the facts in evidence, well, nothing I can do about that. If you wish to dwell in intellectual darkness, so be it, I suppose.
I was wondering how British created the concept of "untouchability" in India . Makes sense.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:06 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Untouchability is part of the Hindu caste system. Nothing to do with the Raj. in fact one of the major beefs that Hindus had with the old British Raj was they thought the British wanted to eradicate the caste system. Though you may have been posting ironically.

Old 05-03-2018, 09:59 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Untouchability is part of the Hindu caste system. Nothing to do with the Raj. in fact one of the major beefs that Hindus had with the old British Raj was they thought the British wanted to eradicate the caste system. Though you may have been posting ironically.
But only after the Raj came the census and all those stuff came. That put more emphasis on "caste".

However slavery and caste system tell the same story - poor and working class and lack of acceptance.

Old 05-03-2018, 10:20 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times
Quote:
What I find so hysterical about this is the FACT that pedophilia isn't codemned ANYWHERE in the Bible.

Neither the Old or the New Testament even HINTS at the immorality of sleeping with children.

So ... why is it wrong, dear BaptistFundie?

God obviously doesn't think it is. So where are you getting your anti-pedophile morality from?

Isn't God and the Bible the penultimate source of morality?
It never explicitly condemns the use of heroin, either. Do you believe it endorses it? Your argument is pretty lame.

Old 05-03-2018, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
But only after the Raj came the census and all those stuff came. That put more emphasis on "caste".

However slavery and caste system tell the same story - poor and working class and lack of acceptance.
I don't see that it makes any difference to religions or denominations within them or doctrinal sub -divisions within those, is at all affected by taking a numerical survey of them. If anything, the Raj did indeed try to proselytise amongst Hindus especially and (like Buddhism, which had virtually disappeared) would attract the Sudra (untouchable) cast because it was a way out. Become a non Hindu and you are not longer un -caste. What the Hindus do about that other than froth and shudder is their own problem.

Old 05-03-2018, 06:37 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times
What if Gandhi did some strange things in his old age? Haven't other great people done weird things also?

How do you JESUS wouldn't have done even worse things?

Does that really CHANGE the great things that they did in any way? You are going to judge their entire life based on something so stupid?

Old 05-03-2018, 09:13 PM

That's a good point. The spoof history book "1066 and all that" made fun of the solemn tendency to categorise kings into good and bad kings and also good kings that were bad things for country and bad kings that were good things for the country.

There are some who seem to have no redeeming features - N Korea would lose nothing if Kim and his entire regime vanished tomorrow (1) and Pol Pot and his era brought no benefits to Cambodia that I can think of. But Ghandi like Joan or Arc or Constantine the Great may have had their quirks, but that shouldn't be a reason to wave away all their achievements on that account.

(1) I watched a damn good video explaining his on -off tactics as a way of surviving - himself, not his country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality