Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 03:09 PM

482 posts, read 242,453 times

Advertisements

I always find it strange that religious folks always assume people that aren't religious are atheists. They seem to not understand that most people which aren't religious also aren't atheists.

Just a though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 03:18 PM

16,781 posts, read 4,986,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider99 View Post
I always find it strange that religious folks always assume people that aren't religious are atheists. They seem to not understand that most people which aren't religious also aren't atheists.

Just a though
You mean people who do not even think about whether there is a god or notP

Here in Germany, we call them the English.

Old 06-01-2018, 12:07 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,455,803 times
If something bad happens and I believe in Karma, it's bad Karma. If I believe in God, it's then Satan, if I believe in luck, it's bad luck. See how that works.

In reality, crap happens and if it's good crap I'm happy, and if it's bad crap I'm not.

Old 06-01-2018, 12:14 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,861,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I can't even define it without using God in the definition. It's like God's complex system of justice.
So why do we so often find the nicest of people getting crap piled on them day after day?

Old 06-01-2018, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'm not sure whether Charlotte is your name or where you live, but let's say it's your name and you're married, just for the sake of the discussion. I come up to your table at the restaurant and I say, "Hey baby, let's go to a motel". Your husband jumps up and punches me in the mouth. That's karma. Cause and effect.
What if he says... 'Can I watch?'

Old 06-01-2018, 04:35 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
You mean people who do not even think about whether there is a god or notP

Here in Germany, we call them the English.
Really? Well, it's true; we don't. But they do in Germany? Well, some of our best thinkers came from there.

Old 06-01-2018, 05:55 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,700,185 times
We attribute good things happening to good people as karma.

We attribute bad things happening to bad people as karma.

And when the evidence doesn't conform to those rules, we simply ignore it.

Old 06-01-2018, 06:22 AM

16,781 posts, read 4,986,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Really? Well, it's true; we don't. But they do in Germany? Well, some of our best thinkers came from there.
My experience of English culture is mostly based on movies and television, but from the time I did spent over there, I noticed :

1) older people seemed to be a little more polarized, and
2) there was a distance between older people and young teenagers.

The first I think is because you have only 2 large political parties, whereas we have a few more. You also have a more distinct class system.

The second is because when we are young teenagers, we are encouraged to join in with conversations. So this leads us to discuss things like religion, politics and art from an early age. Not that we did so most of the time. This I never saw in England.

We Germans from the north are a lot like you English, but I like you English for the differences. Except your pub opening times.

Old 06-01-2018, 07:42 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
My experience of English culture is mostly based on movies and television, but from the time I did spent over there, I noticed :

1) older people seemed to be a little more polarized, and
2) there was a distance between older people and young teenagers.

The first I think is because you have only 2 large political parties, whereas we have a few more. You also have a more distinct class system.

The second is because when we are young teenagers, we are encouraged to join in with conversations. So this leads us to discuss things like religion, politics and art from an early age. Not that we did so most of the time. This I never saw in England.

We Germans from the north are a lot like you English, but I like you English for the differences. Except your pub opening times.
Getting off -topic a bit but we could go onto DM....but yes it's that way in UK A polarised society with the Elite and the scum, Tory and Labour, Bosses and workers, the haves and the have -nots. The rulers and exploiters, the ruled and exploited, the ignorant masses and those who want to keep them ignorant.

Old 06-01-2018, 09:11 AM

Roll on the glorious day of the revolution!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality