Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2018, 01:39 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,024,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
Let's be real for a moment. Children of ages 4 and 7 are not old enough to make decisions, especially something as important as religion. Also, loading a question by saying "How did you like it?' implies that they were supposed to like it, you are just asking how much. A better question would be, " Did you like it? What did you like about it?".
As you said, children 4 and 7 are not old enough to make decisions. So why do people think that it's best to simply let the kid decide?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2018, 01:46 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
Let's be real for a moment. Children of ages 4 and 7 are not old enough to make decisions, especially something as important as religion. Also, loading a question by saying "How did you like it?' implies that they were supposed to like it, you are just asking how much. A better question would be, " Did you like it? What did you like about it?".
Um yes, let's be real.

Children ages 4 and 7, when being picked up from Sunday School that was dull and boring are quite quick to say I hate it I don't want to go again.

Asking "how did you like it" vs "did you like it" isn't going to move the needle.

And so successful youth education programs make it fun for the littles - lots of activities, friendly encouraging adults, etc.

Old 07-19-2018, 01:48 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,262,177 times
Good to know that 79% of the folks in this debate poll disagree!

Should children be taught religion at a young age?

This top comment is spot on!
Quote:
Children Should Be Taught To Think!

Children should be taught to think for themselves. Children shouldn't necessarily be taught and told what to think, but rather, HOW to think properly.

Children CAN be taught religion but it must be ALL religions as equally as possible and the history of religion(s). If this cannot be achieved, religious teachings should be self-discovered instead of taught and risk the possibility of teachers' bias and subsequent influence.
Religion decreases critical thinking skills

Old 07-19-2018, 01:55 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Good to know that 79% of the folks in this debate poll disagree!

Should children be taught religion at a young age?

This top comment is spot on!

Religion decreases critical thinking skills
And debate.org seems like a pretty reliable cross section of randomly selected individuals for their opinions?

;D

Nope. Here's the Pew Research Center findings, widely regarded as a reliable polling service.

70% of the US describes themselves as "Christian", of one flavor or another.

People who like to argue and opine on the web, here and on debate.org are less likely to describe themselves that way, than the general population, apparently.

Religion in America: U.S. Religious Data, Demographics and Statistics | Pew Research Center

Of note, is the stat in that research that 9% of the US population describes themselves as atheist or agnostic. Goodness, for such a tiny little percentage, y'all sure have big mouths!

Old 07-19-2018, 02:02 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,617,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
In all fairness, you're naive if you think there is no trolling in the Christianity forum.

I consider you the expert.

Old 07-19-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
And debate.org seems like a pretty reliable cross section of randomly selected individuals for their opinions?

;D
Hello do you know what polls are? People's opinions! LOL
Quote:
Nope. Here's the Pew Research Center findings, widely regarded as a reliable polling service.

70% of the US describes themselves as "Christian", of one flavor or another.
LOL that's 70% of the 35,000 people polled in 2007! The the US has over 300 million people today.
Quote:
People who like to argue and opine on the web, here and on debate.org are less likely to describe themselves that way, than the general population, apparently.
This make zero sense. Do you realize that the people participating in any poll are people from the general population? Right?

Check out this Pew Poll. You need to come up to date!

More Americans now say they’re spiritual but not religious

In fact the poll results would be different if children where no longer indoctrination at youth in this country.

Anyway back to indoctrinating children. It's wrong and should be considered child abuse...no different than a child being raised by a cult. Child indoctrination also diminished a child's ability to develop critical thinking skills. The studies are out there!

Old 07-19-2018, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Hello do you know what polls are? People's opinions! LOL
LOL that's 70% of the 35,000 people polled! The the US has over 300 million people?
This make zero sense. Do you realize that the people participating in any poll are people from the general population? Right?

Check out this Pew Poll.

More Americans now say they’re spiritual but not religious

Anyway back to indoctrinating children. It's wrong and should be considered child abuse...no different than a child being raised by a cult.
You're talking to someone who designed surveys.

The #1 rule is, RANDOMIZED polling of the population. You can't allow them to self-select, and you need to be particularly careful if you go into some place that's going to have an unusual population. A chemotherapy center, for example, or a meeting of wiccans. Or a debating site on the net.

What makes the 79% figure on debate.org (vs. the reality of 70% of US adults call that Christian) interesting is it shows something specific about the posters on that site. They're very much less likely to be Christian than the general population. So that's noteworthy, as a statistic.

Anyway, back to indoctrinating children. IN YOUR OPINION it's wrong and should be considered child abuse.

Pew research is careful to randomize their population, and not skew it with a particular and unusual group.

And yes, I agree that more people say "spiritual" than "religious". Because yeah. As a word, "religious" is less popular than "spiritual". But the belief in a higher power that can be appealed to is a constant.

So I have to ask. Why does what other people besides you believe bother you so very much?

Old 07-19-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
You're talking to someone who designed surveys.
And your talking with someone who understands statistics as well as how polls are designed and how they work.
Quote:
Anyway, back to indoctrinating children. IN YOUR OPINION it's wrong and should be considered child abuse.
It's not only my opinion it's a lot of people's opinion.

There are studies that expose the damage childhood indoctrination poses to children. That's not my opinion but facts which are backed up with study data.

You should expand your mind and learn about these psychological damages to children who have been indoctrinated.

There is lot's of information out there on it.

Last edited by Matadora; 07-19-2018 at 02:30 PM..

Old 07-19-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
And your talking with someone who understands statistics as well as how polls are designed and how they work.
It's not only my opinion it's a lot of people's opinion.

There are studies that expose the damage childhood indoctrination poses to children. That's not my opinion but facts which are backed up with study data.
So in your opinion, when you compare children in the general population and divide them into two groups, those who attended Sunday School in first grade at least once a month, vs. 1st graders who never attended Sunday school, the group that attended at least once a month would be "damaged".

I'd really like to see that, statistically.

Because you know the rule - if you read a social statistic and you say "there's no way that's true", it's because it isn't. There's something wrong with the date collection, the population surveyed, etc.

Correct social statistics cause people to say "duh, we all knew that. You mean you had to actually run a survey to prove THAT"?

Rule of thumb, and all. If it doesn't seem believable, and this doesn't, it's highly likely to be untrue.

So please, if you can, point out a peer reviewed survey that states that children in the OPs case, where she took her grandkids to VBS and church when she had them "damaged" the kids more than kids in the general population of non attenders.

Old 07-19-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
So in your opinion, when you compare children in the general population and divide them into two groups, those who attended Sunday School in first grade at least once a month, vs. 1st graders who never attended Sunday school, the group that attended at least once a month would be "damaged".

I'd really like to see that, statistically.
Show me a poll that includes children of these ages.

We have data after the damage has been done. There are plenty of adults who have had to overcome religious trauma syndrome from childhood indoctrination and many are still struggling to overcome it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality