Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2018, 10:03 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Mormonism is being singled out in this thread because a Mormon started the thread about Mormonism. Why would we discuss issues with Baptists or Catholics in a thread started by a Mormon to explain and defend Mormonism ?
All you want to do is argue.

I said in my post: "We don't have a thread like this for Methodists, or Baptists, or Evangelicals."

This thread is the worst bashing of any specific religion I've seen in this forum. It has become a free-for-all of insults to the original poster.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:35 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

I said in my post: "We don't have a thread like this for Methodists, or Baptists, or Evangelicals."

This thread is the worst bashing of any specific religion I've seen in this forum. It has become a free-for-all of insults to the original poster.
I've seen some pretty significant negative discussion of Baptists and other Evangelicals. Methodists? Meh, they are like Episcopalians, sort of "christian light" in that they may have their strong faith, but don't try and impute their belief system on the public sphere, as we are seeing currently happening in the USA by the more fanatical groups wanting to mix religion and politics.

Old 09-17-2018, 11:08 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,284,357 times
Quote:

I merely correct your baseless implications . Any Methodist, Baptist, or Catholic would be free to start a similar thread, and field the responses , some of which would be unfavorable. Katz felt the need to start this thread. She knew she wasn't going to get a never ending round of "amens" from the forum, but she has done a good job of getting some misconceptions addressed.

Old 09-17-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
I've seen some pretty significant negative discussion of Baptists and other Evangelicals. Methodists? Meh, they are like Episcopalians, sort of "christian light" in that they may have their strong faith, but don't try and impute their belief system on the public sphere, as we are seeing currently happening in the USA by the more fanatical groups wanting to mix religion and politics.
When you find a thread this harsh and mean about a specific religion, point it out to me.

Old 09-17-2018, 12:59 PM

2,468 posts, read 3,131,842 times
“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.” -Thomas Paine

Phetaroi,
Don’t mistake speaking ugly facts with being mean.
I consider it mean if you knew something that could prevent me from hurting and didn’t tell me out of fear of seeming “mean.”

“Freedom of speech is freedom to engage in the processes that we use to formulate the problems in society. To generate solutions to them and reach a consensus..." -Dr. Jordan Peterson

Old 09-17-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.” -Thomas Paine

Phetaroi,
Don’t mistake speaking ugly facts with being mean.
I consider it mean if you knew something that could prevent me from hurting and didn’t tell me out of fear of seeming “mean.”

“Freedom of speech is freedom to engage in the processes that we use to formulate the problems in society. To generate solutions to them and reach a consensus..." -Dr. Jordan Peterson
I don't disagree. But this thread has been beyond the pale. And again, I say that as a person who is no longer a christian and never believed in the tenets of Mormonism.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:21 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Closed for mod review.

Old 09-17-2018, 03:47 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Let's reiterate some of the basics of how we operate these forums in City-Data.

We do not refer to churches as "cults." Period. If you have a problem with that, keep it to yourself. We have, and absolutely will again, issue infractions. It's a simple "Golden Rule" thing. Do you want people referring to YOUR church as a "cult?" Don't do it to others.

If a person, or a church, places Jesus Christ as that primary focus of their religion, that makes them "Christian" by any common, base line definition. Here at City-Data, we operate on an open and accepting policy. Similar to the "cult" issue, all you have to do is THINK. Do you want people to say you're not a REAL Christian because you belong to the "wrong" church?

Nobody here is qualified to determine whether another person is "Christian" enough to deserve the title, nor is anybody here qualified to determine that an entire denomination is a "cult," so we won't tolerate these remarks.

If you have comments about this post, DO NOT reply to it. Feel free to send me or Mightyqueen801 a DM to discuss anything you have to say about it.

The thread has been reopened; however, members are warned that if the rules for this forum are flaunted, infractions will result.

Please re-read mensaguy's post above.

This thread was started to discuss what the Mormon church teaches. It's unfair to expect the OP to defend the history of the church or to explain things that are not part of the current church teachings.

Please also note that being subtle about calling a church a cult without using the word "cult" but inferring so by posting definitions of the word "cult" is still calling a church a cult, and will not be tolerated.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 09-17-2018 at 04:03 PM..

Old 09-17-2018, 09:12 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,568,403 times
Quote:
When you find a thread this harsh and mean about a specific religion, point it out to me.
Why is no one talking about the Catholic sex scandal?

Please lets put this to rest and stay to the topic.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Why is no one talking about the Catholic sex scandal?

Please lets put this to rest and stay to the topic.
I've been active on that thread, as well. Can't compare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality