Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 01:24 AM

16,781 posts, read 4,986,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
People with those bumper stickers would probably be deemed terrorists.
Here in Germany we sometimes see the fish sign on the cars. They are always bad drivers.

I welcome the signs as I know to avoid the drivers if I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 06:29 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
No, it is simply an expression of the fact. It is irrelevant what anyone accepts or doesn't accept or believes or does not believe about it.
It is not a Fact -it is a Faith -claim. That's why they have to keep Advertising it, and Preaching as Jimmie does above. Keep peddling a lie and people will start to believe it.

Old 10-02-2018, 08:52 AM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
It is not a Fact -it is a Faith -claim. That's why they have to keep Advertising it, and Preaching as Jimmie does above. Keep peddling a lie and people will start to believe it.
And that is your opinion.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:07 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Mystic stated it as a fact, but it isn’t verifiable. There is no way for me to determine the truth if mystic’s claim, therefore he is wrong when stating it is a fact.

Transponder was merely clarifying mystic’s claim as not being fact based.

As such transponders post is not an opinion.

I know, these are nuanced discussions, but ignoring the nuances leads people to 8ncorrect conclusions.

Getting back to the OP, of course it is advertising. Of all the claims one could put on the back of ones car, why choose this one? It is because the person wants to display their thoughts, publicly, without any reasonable chance of discourse. If tha5 doesn’t fit the description of advertising I don’t know what does.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:22 AM

20,442 posts, read 12,793,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Mystic stated it as a fact, but it isn’t verifiable. There is no way for me to determine the truth if mystic’s claim, therefore he is wrong when stating it is a fact.

Transponder was merely clarifying mystic’s claim as not being fact based.

As such transponders post is not an opinion.

I know, these are nuanced discussions, but ignoring the nuances leads people to 8ncorrect conclusions.

Getting back to the OP, of course it is advertising. Of all the claims one could put on the back of ones car, why choose this one? It is because the person wants to display their thoughts, publicly, without any reasonable chance of discourse. If tha5 doesn’t fit the description of advertising I don’t know what does.
It could be a fact, no?

Old 10-02-2018, 09:29 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
It could be a fact, no?

No.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:33 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
Go Broncos!
Just married!
Visualize whirled peas.
Jesus saves!
Play Lotto!

People are advertising some various stuff.
All of it seems that they are enthusiastic, is all, and want you do think
as they do, cuz they found happiness or fun. So...which one of those is wanting your cash?

Old 10-02-2018, 09:53 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
It could be a fact, no?
Until something is confirmed, it cannot be considered factual. It can be a hypothesis, proposal, guess or notion. Investigation can later allow us to confirm that hypothesis as a fact. But if we don’t actually know, then it would be a fallacy to present it as a fact.

That is why most atheists, and all prudent atheists, don’t say that god (of any type) doesn’t exist. We cannot confirm this as a fact. All the evidence that we can put our hands on tends to confirm our hypothesis, but it would be wrong to present our thoughts as factual.

We do say that we do not accept theistic claims, or that we aren’t convinced by theistic claims.

So to say that Jesus Saves without additional evidence isn’t factual. You would first have to prove several contentious and debatable claims. Until you can do so, it is an opinion. Based on your posting history, I know that you strongly believe in this opinion, I know you live your life according to this opinion, but it is still only an opinion.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:56 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I'm glad you pointed that out because it is one of my most basic reasons to disrespect so many christians (not all). I may not state it often -- although I have stated it in a number of posts over the past year -- but I have no big problem with faith. But what I find to be totally stupid is when christians can't tell the difference between faith and fact. And, in my view, that demeans the very concept of faith.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:58 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
No Donald, facts are facts. Perhaps you need to read the definition of the word "fact" -- "a thing that is indisputably the case". Don't bring your world of "alternate facts" here. When you do, we'll bluntly straighten you out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality