Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 07:37 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,369,176 times

Advertisements

In my reading I have seen a study/book by Dean Hammer from 1998 (The God Gene: How Faith Is Hardwired into Our Genes) which linked the ability to accept or reject God as being based on our DNA. The theory point to our DNA set up relates to what degree our body will release the chemicals in the brain that make us feel good. The chemicals are the ones we read about in today's medical news which control depression (monoamines) and include serotonin, dopamine, and the norepinephrine. These are the chemicals we control with Prozac, and which are also affected by LSD, and peyote. I think it would interesting to discuss what effects each side of this argument will have when we learn our DNA set the path of our non-belief or belief in god/gods. It looks like it is no more different than being black or white, having blue eyes or brown, male or female, or straight or gay. It may open the door on Civil Rights to cover a much wider range of issues in the future.

Last edited by cncracer; 04-05-2008 at 07:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2008, 07:57 AM

285 posts, read 536,174 times
This begs the question "what about people like me who USED to believe whole heartedly and now do not believe at all"

Old 04-05-2008, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahteist2 View Post
This begs the question "what about people like me who USED to believe whole heartedly and now do not believe at all"
We are all affected by our culture. For me the non-belief was there from childhood, but the step to speak out did not come till my 20's. I am afraid I did not get real vocal till found this site. Sure makes me feel better, must release some chemicals in my brain. LOL

Old 04-05-2008, 08:43 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,482,336 times
I'd say there's more of a God meme than a god gene but that's my unempirical statement of the day.

Old 04-05-2008, 08:58 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,121,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahteist2 View Post
IMHO
Your intellect over road your emotions.

Cheers,
Aeroman

Old 04-05-2008, 09:05 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,760,864 times
is that kinda like my dna will determine that i drive a chevy vs ford, dodge, or whatever?

Old 04-05-2008, 09:17 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,482,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
is that kinda like my dna will determine that i drive a chevy vs ford, dodge, or whatever?
Errrr.... Yeah, Kinda. I don't really put much into the whole "God Gene" thing. I don't discount it, but I also don't really think there's a lot of merit to it as far as having a specific gene that acts solely to provide a belief in God. Although, evidence of one would make me wonder why if there was a Creator he didn't give me that gene.

My guess is that the gene we are referring to is actually a gene used for something else. However, as a side effect of this gene, people are more likely to believe in God as well.

Think of it like this and I know this is probably a horrible example but it's the only thing I could think of:

An addict is predisposed for having certain chemicals "signaled" through the brain. They do everything from blocking dopamine, to increasing seratonin, etc... Each person has a different neurological bio-chemical makeup. It's my opinion that there are certain people that are more highly pre-disposed to having these chemicals inhibited/enhanced when certain chemicals are injected into their body and therefore making them more prone to addiction.

In other words, the specific addiction to alcohol or drugs is not genetic. However, the way the body and brain respond to said alcohol and drugs once they are induced into the body IS genetic. Therefore, to me, there is both a physical and mental aspect to the addiction of a person that is genetically pre-disposed a la the genetics of their brains bio-chemical makeup.

Ok, now that I just linked a belief in God to drug addiction I want to make it clear that that was not my point. I was merely showing how I think that genes can have "offshoots" and that is what we would call a "meme".

Old 04-05-2008, 09:21 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,760,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Errrr.... Yeah, Kinda. I don't really put much into the whole "God Gene" thing. I don't discount it, but I also don't really think there's a lot of merit to it as far as having a specific gene that acts solely to provide a belief in God. Although, evidence of one would make me wonder why if there was a Creator he didn't give me that gene.

My guess is that the gene we are referring to is actually a gene used for something else. However, as a side effect of this gene, people are more likely to believe in God as well.

Think of it like this and I know this is probably a horrible example but it's the only thing I could think of:

An addict is predisposed for having certain chemicals "signaled" through the brain. They do everything from blocking dopamine, to increasing seratonin, etc... Each person has a different neurological bio-chemical makeup. It's my opinion that there are certain people that are more highly pre-disposed to having these chemicals inhibited/enhanced when certain chemicals are injected into their body and therefore making them more prone to addiction.

In other words, the specific addiction to alcohol or drugs is not genetic. However, the way the body and brain respond to said alcohol and drugs once they are induced into the body IS genetic. Therefore, to me, there is both a physical and mental aspect to the addiction of a person that is genetically pre-disposed a la the genetics of their brains bio-chemical makeup.

Ok, now that I just linked a belief in God to drug addiction I want to make it clear that that was not my point. I was merely showing how I think that genes can have "offshoots" and that is what we would call a "meme".
i think that was a good example troop..

Old 04-05-2008, 09:52 AM

Quote:

There are genes which now have been located in human DNA which are linked to the addictions of alcohol and drugs. These also are related to the feel good mood controlling chemicals our body makes. Research is ongoing to find the key which will free the millions from their addictions. The field of genetic medicine will change our lives in the future; it has already open doors into much more than just hair color and race.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:09 AM

8,002 posts, read 12,314,077 times
Quote:

Not going with the notion that there is a link between belief in God and drug addiction, however...

Just as drug addicts who are in recovery form new neuro-pathways in the brain resulting in new/different cognitive functioning, I would wonder if the same would somehow apply to belief vs. disbelief in a god...

It's an interesting notion. Personally I don't believe that belief is related to DNA.

Take gentle care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality