Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2019, 03:18 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think your thinking is a little hazy here.

For example, take the old hymn "Are Ye Able". Musically, it was always one of my favorites.

But let's take the first verse: "Are ye able said the Master, to be crucified with me?" What percent of christians in this country do you think would be willing to be crucified for their christian beliefs?

Second verse: "Are ye able to remember when a thief lifts up his eyes that his pardoned soul is worthy
Of a place in paradise?" Considering how heavily in favor of capital punishment right wing christians seems to be, what percent of christians actually believe that second verse?

How christian are these christians when the reality is that 20% or fewer of them go to church with any regularity?

We atheists in the United States have no power to influence ISIS or world Islam. It's foolish of you to even bring that into the discussion.

If you want to talk about head trips, I'd say it's the christians who have a huge christian-centered ego that in reality is pathetically shallow.
I am talking about tbe "mojo" of Religion, overall...relative to the mojo of Atheism.
Try this test: Ask Atheists to give up large percentages of their income to promote Atheism...see how you make out with that.
Or, to reeeeeeeally prove the power of Religious Belief over NonBelief...ask Atheists to DIE in the name and honor of Atheism. That reveals the REAL FACTS as to the power of Religious Belief as compared to NonBelief as respects the ability to "move" people.

It has been said, "The proof of the pudding is the eating".
And such is the "eating" when it comes to Theism, and specifically Religion. And what a "feast" it is!!
I submit...there is NOTHING that has EVER influenced mankind, for good or bad, to a greater degree than Religion.
Anyone can get on this board and spout all the "not empirically proven", "epic fail", "that's a logical fallacy", "you are deluded", "it's nothing but a bunch of fairy tales", and all the other spew they want...but when all the smoke clears...NOTHING has more "mojo" than Religion. NOTHING!!!!!!!
It's like a suitcase full of $100 bills. It may just be a lot of "paper and ink" that "represents" value...but as long as the majority of the world accepts it as having that value...you're rich!!.
Atheism OTOH...is like the same suitcase full of paper covered with ink...but NOT currency. It's notes that are very lightly recognized as having any "value". So it's really, in effect, just about worthless. Well, except for getting its adherents labeled, "The Most Hated, and the Least Trusted or Respected"...it has been VERY good at doing that!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 03:37 PM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
I am talking about tbe "mojo" of Religion, overall...relative to the mojo of Atheism.
Try this test: Ask Atheists to give up large percentages of their income to promote Atheism...see how you make out with that.
Or, to reeeeeeeally prove the power of Religious Belief over NonBelief...ask Atheists to DIE in the name and honor of Atheism. That reveals the REAL FACTS as to the power of Religious Belief as compared to NonBelief as respects the ability to "move" people.

And such is the "eating" when it comes to Theism, and specifically Religion. And what a "feast" it is!!
I submit...there is NOTHING that has EVER influenced mankind, for good or bad, to a greater degree than Religion.
Anyone can get on this board and spout all the "not empirically proven", "epic fail", "that's a logical fallacy", "you are deluded", "it's nothing but a bunch of fairy tales", and all the other spew they want...but when all the smoke clears...NOTHING has more "mojo" than Religion. NOTHING!!!!!!!
It's like a suitcase full of $100 bills. It may just be a lot of "paper and ink" that "represents" value...but as long as the majority of the world accepts it as having that value...you're rich!!.
Atheism OTOH...is like the same suitcase full of paper covered with ink...but NOT currency. It's notes that are very lightly recognized as having any "value". So it's really, in effect, just about worthless. Well, except for getting its adherents labeled, "The Most Hated, and the Least Trusted or Respected"...it has been VERY good at doing that!!
I come from a long line of catholics on one side of my family, and a long line of methodists on the other side. And thinking back, I can't think of a single significant sacrifice any of them made for god. Most of the catholic side married outside their religion, which at the time was very much looked down on. The biggest sacrifice they made was throwing $1-$5 into the collection plate at mass (or church) if they went. Where's the depth of commitment?

It would be cool to find out tomorrow that Jesus was Black African. Half of the Americans would find something else to believe in.

Old 02-19-2019, 04:00 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,609,565 times
There is no more ardent anti-smoker than a former cigarette addict.
There is no more passionate counselor for sobriety than a reformed drunk.

And there is no one more motivated to point out the sad deception of putting one's faith in bronze age myths than a former believer.

Old 02-19-2019, 04:28 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times
Arach is the only one who's even responded to it. Everyone else is pretending they don't understand it. I can't explain it any more clearly than I have.

The official response from skeptics is: Pretending it will be forgotten.

And that is the official skeptics position 24 hours later, after clearly noting the video. Very lame.

Old 02-19-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
I come from a long line of catholics on one side of my family, and a long line of methodists on the other side. And thinking back, I can't think of a single significant sacrifice any of them made for god. Most of the catholic side married outside their religion, which at the time was very much looked down on. The biggest sacrifice they made was throwing $1-$5 into the collection plate at mass (or church) if they went. Where's the depth of commitment?

It would be cool to find out tomorrow that Jesus was Black African. Half of the Americans would find something else to believe in.
Your family may not be devout...but throughout human history, dedication to some theological concept has motivated people to be fed to lions, fight and die in battle, perpetrate suicide missions, give up large percentages of what they have, even sacrifice their children. Besides how it influences the way they thought/think about all kinds of things.
And I am talking about a huge amount of people...not just a few.
Atheism has nothing like that.
No other elective concept has influenced humankind as much as Religion.
Atheism, being "The Concept of Nuthin'"...is, of course, gonna be a "Nuthin' Concept" when it comes to the power to influence and inspire.

Old 02-19-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Your family may not be devout...but throughout human history, dedication to some theological concept has motivated people to be fed to lions, fight and die in battle, perpetrate suicide missions, give up large percentages of what they have, even sacrifice their children. Besides how it influences the way they thought/think about all kinds of things.
And I am talking about a huge amount of people...not just a few.
Atheism has nothing like that.
No other elective concept has influenced humankind as much as Religion.
Atheism, being "The Concept of Nuthin'"...is, of course, gonna be a "Nuthin' Concept" when it comes to the power to influence and inspire.
Of course. But the point is that for most people who say they believe in god, the belief doesn't instill any great sacrifices...not even to take an hour and go to church every week, AS COMMANDED.

Old 02-19-2019, 06:09 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
lmao, them not following the rules of their religion is a good thing.

but gld's point is valid. religion is a great motivator. for good or bad, it does motivate.

Old 02-19-2019, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Of course. But the point is that for most people who say they believe in god, the belief doesn't instill any great sacrifices...not even to take an hour and go to church every week, AS COMMANDED.
If your claim is true...what is this "threat" from Religion that is spoken of that society needs to be shielded from?
If Religion/Theism is such a weak thing...how could there be these serious issues they go on, and on, and on about?
By that logic...the Atheists even have that wrong!

Old 02-19-2019, 06:38 PM

Quote:
If your claim is true...what is this "threat" from Religion that is spoken of that society needs to be shielded from?
If Religion/Theism is such a weak thing...how could there be these serious issues they go on, and on, and on about?
By that logic...the Atheists even have that wrong!
The faith may be weak and shallow. But they use religion as an excuse to influence governmental policy and American life.

Old 02-19-2019, 06:45 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,325,302 times
Quote:
You just described mind control G.

Quote:
Are you still spouting that (what by now 12 year old study///your facts are as fresh as a Foghat concert)? Well it would be believers doing the hating* then wouldn't it? They also didn't want their daughter to marry a black man so consider the source.

*the study said least trusted but G likes his clickbait
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality