Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 05:38 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,570,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I am sure this was meant as a joke and it is humorous. But as I approach 56 years of marriage, I would find it beyond sad that anyone was in a long marriage that they did not cherish. There are ample examples in society that it is all too frequent but I wonder why. I suspect it is the lack of a long courtship period prior to marriage. I courted my wife for 6+ years before we found each other desirable as mates for life.
yeah, it was a joke ...

people change over time mystic. some of the nasty bits that we can cover up in our youth and/or to busy to notice can rear up bite a person in the butt.

Its not right or wrong, it just is.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2019, 08:34 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,172,280 times
When faith guarantees you a place in paradise then what significant purpose of life is left?

Delaying the test of that faith as long as possible.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:46 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,909,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
he was killed in what? 8 hrs?

I am coming up on 30 years of marriage, he got off easy.
Pity Jesus. You're married to one woman. He's going to be married to 50 billion. "When Dad built all these mansions I wished He'd thought of adding more bedrooms."

Last edited by thrillobyte; 02-17-2019 at 11:05 PM..

Old 02-18-2019, 08:02 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Disclaimer: This is NOT a thread about proofs and evidences. I would rather like to have a philosophical based logical discussion where we can share our ideas and our thoughts to dig a little deeper into this aspect of belief system.
Translation: "I am tired of being pwned, so I want to hear only from those who will agree with me, or at least not challenge my eggshell -thin arguments.

Quote:
So we start off with what we supposedly believe what heaven is?

And one part of this belief is that once you are in heaven, there is absolutely no pain, no worry and no bad memory left. It's a 100% worry free eternal bliss.
(Now, Whether there this is true or not, or whether there is an evidence to support this belief or not, is *NOT* the point of discussion here)

Some faith systems then go ahead and provide a guaranteed spot in heaven once one is entered into that particular faith.

There is no more accountability of your actions. There is no Hell or punishment for you after believe in such and such.

The question then is, what are you going to do with the rest of your life?

Does it make any significant difference to your guaranteed spot in heaven in regards to what you do in your life?

So logically speaking, such a believer should immediately commit suicide or at least keep praying 24/7 to have a naturally caused death ASAP.

I mean, why getup in the morning and go to work, and pay taxes and see all the misery in the world, and go through the pains of diseases etc?
And I have asked this question from some people.

A few answers I received are this.

"I love my dogs and can't leave them after me." (this one is not so convincing but it's OK)
"I am here to enjoy the luxuries of life"
"My faith prohibits me from committing suicide"

All these may be genuine reasons and I have nothing against it.

We also know that "Everyone wants to go heaven but no one wants to die". That's human nature.

Fair enough!

The question then is, why would such belief system not come with two conditions.

This is how it should be,

Once you enter this faith, a spot is guaranteed in heaven but

1 -You won't commit suicide
AND
2 - Here is the purpose of your life for the rest of your days.

I see that many followers of such faith systems pretty vigorously abide by the first condition - but many don't seem to know or don't care what's the significant purpose of their life AS PER prescribed by their faith. (condition # 2 above)

So the question from such believers is, what's the purpose of your life based on religious guidance (if you have any) after a spot is guaranteed in heaven?

And what happens to your guaranteed spot in heaven if you fail to follow the purpose of your life as prescribed by your faith?
That said, your point is a valid one, and some have exploited it it in the past: 'Kill them all - God will know his own', not to mention martyrs for Islam.

Indeed, I suspect that suicide has to be (tacitly - I haven't seen it wagged about as a doctrine) regarded as a sin that will debar one from heaven, otherwise all the God -believers would be doing it.

Indeed, you hinted at it above: "My Faith debars it" Really? Where does it (for them) say that?

Old 02-18-2019, 09:13 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,914,157 times
The question is a good one and I haven't seen a good answer if "faith" is nothing more than an intellectual assessment, and I honestly don't think there IS one. Katz put gave the closest to a real answer by indicating that "faith" is more like a commitment to an ideal and a Way of life.

Old 02-18-2019, 12:12 PM

20,439 posts, read 12,777,841 times
From a Christian perspective...

To grow in Christ, becoming, over time, more like Him. This is done by studying His word, praying and using your spritual gifts.

If you fail to do this, your heavenly rewards will be lessened.

Old 02-18-2019, 12:33 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,172,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post

To grow in Christ, becoming, over time, more like Him. This is done by studying His word, praying and using your spritual gifts.

Lol.

Old 02-18-2019, 12:37 PM

3,987 posts, read 2,110,332 times
IF we are truly saved by Faith in Jesus Christs blood covering our sins, then His Holy Spirit will live in our hearts to influence us to sacrifice for others while we remain on earth.

Old 02-18-2019, 01:56 PM

17,778 posts, read 13,673,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post

Gonna be some great bible quiz competitions in heaven.

Old 02-18-2019, 03:50 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,569,699 times
OP, I think you took a very narrow view at what a faith is.
Also, you talked to wrong people. Their responses do not much sound of faith.

Out of entire FAITH you took one aspect - eternal life (btw, do you REALLY want to praise go for eternity, like in #2?) that is "guaranteed" if faith is maintained.

That's dandy, but leaves the entirety of faith out of perspective.
One with real faith does not even bother to think, what will be his reward in the afterlife. He is in god now, in communion with god now. For him, there is no such thing as stopping faith, as it's like stopping breathing. Being faith-full is natural state and being un-faithful is un natural state.

Does it make sense? Faith you are referring to is more of a qui pro quo arrangement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality