Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2019, 08:55 AM

16,798 posts, read 4,996,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Once again, you have no support for your statement. You just expect everyone to take it on faith. "I said it, so it must be true." No, I don't have to believe you.
Another invention.

"They have a negative attitude towards anything good happening. Good things make them upset." <- this is stupid bovine manure. I love it when good things happen. Most people do, regardless of their beliefs about religion.

Keep digging, you are doing great work for theism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2019, 09:06 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,644,241 times
Quote:
Not only do atheists NOT believe in prayer or God. They have a negative attitude towards anything good happening.

Good things make them upset.
What a ridiculous thing to say. Why is it that the existence of a few atheists gets under your skin so? Its bizarre.

Which reminds me, this is bizarre nonsensical statement #2, since I have been counting.

Old 05-05-2019, 09:13 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,644,241 times
Quote:
Once again, you have no support for your statement. You just expect everyone to take it on faith. "I said it, so it must be true." No, I don't have to believe you.
You have this completely backwards, as usual.

YOU claimed atheists are upset when good things happen. YOU offered no support. And a handful of atheists are going to take your word for it, because you say so?

Old 05-05-2019, 09:16 AM

8,680 posts, read 3,879,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
What a ridiculius thing to say. Why is it that the existence of a few atheists gets under your skin so? Its bizarre.

Which reminds me, this is bizarre nonsensical statement #2, since I have been counting.
Yeah - the whole thing is ridiculous.

Old 05-05-2019, 09:21 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,594,064 times
Quote:
I don't believe that. For all we know animals might believe in God in their own way.
thats not what I asked you. what you believe in may or may not line up with what we know about the universe.

Would it be better to line you what you think about god to what we know about the universe or would you prefer to line it up with what you believe in only?

the question is.

What would you think/say if the ants thought you were god?

or

what would you think if a cell (or even a protein like f0 or f1) thought you were a god?

Old 05-05-2019, 09:23 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,594,064 times
Quote:
Not only do atheists NOT believe in prayer or God. They have a negative attitude towards anything good happening.

Good things make them upset.
some atheist ozzy. some atheist.

people are people. atheist are just like religious. some get it and some, well, not so much.

Old 05-05-2019, 09:30 AM

8,680 posts, read 3,879,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
some atheist ozzy. some atheist.

people are people. atheist are just like religious. some get it and some, well, not so much.
And some take years of the same ‘show’ of dialogue - and still don’t. Others see through it immediately.

Old 05-05-2019, 09:50 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,657,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Yes. That is exactly the point of that little tale; anything good is to be credited to God. Even if it's as mundane as a boat-rescue or doctors battling for 20 hours to save a crash victim. Ooooh Noooh...it was the prayers of the relatives in the next room that did it. (1)

It's part of the Big Lie, Huge Scam, or Monumental Con. Get everyone to pray all the time, and anything Good that happens, Proof of prayer. It works even if nobody was praying like one miner surviving out of 30, a cross surviving in a gutted cathedral, or even a 'plane that got down in one piece. That's still a miracle.

Mind, We do the same with 9/11, Johnny Chau and the Tsunami. Not that we are happy with those deaths, any more than we are sad that those people were rescued. But it is irritating when good luck, bad luck and no luck is all used as 'evidence' for God.

(1) there's a formula, which I'd give you, were it not for the fact that I cannot do anything with numbers that requires more than my fingers. But some mathematicule genius can do it for me. Probability of a result, plus prolonged praying for a result plus proclivity for explaining away lack of a result = result. The Result being Pray for a helicopter- don't pray for wings.

The formula explains the format of the parable of prayer. Wait for a natural result, and praise God if you get it eventually, proof of God if you get it straight away and Praise God anyway if you don't. God knows best after all.

I could write a dissertation on endless self justification (because justification of the believers' rightness is what this is all about- but Justification of the religion), but as the atheist schoolmarm said - "You get the idea".
Prayer is just a verbal expression of hope...and if things do go that way, then the hopes were realized.
That many implore "God" in their prayers is just using a metaphorical representation of that, "hope that things go as preferred". Others may be praying for the exact opposite outcome that some are praying for.
It is a perfectly normal thing (express hope that a preferred outcome might occur) to do...and one would have to be quite the miserable person to be bothered by it.

Old 05-05-2019, 09:55 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,014,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Prayer is just a verbal expression of hope...and if things do go that way, then the hopes were realized.
That many implore "God" in their prayers is just using a metaphorical representation of that, "hope that things go as preferred". Others may be praying for the exact opposite outcome that some are praying for.
It is a perfectly normal thing (express hope that a preferred outcome might occur) to do...and one would have to be quite the miserable person to be bothered by it.
Ain't that the truth! especially knowing you're going to die anyway. I can somewhat understand James Dean wanting to leave behind a good looking corpse but why would anyone want to leave behind their legacy of nihilism!?

Old 05-05-2019, 09:55 AM

50,860 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Ah, so when someone believes something on faith, no one else needs to believe them.

Interesting that you would say that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality