Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 05:34 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,466,717 times

Advertisements

My problem is that in order for something to exist it has to be made up of matter. The very presence of matter is what makes times arrow flow, and makes up existence itself. From the second we had "something" after the Big Bang, we also had a flow of time. To say that something "exists" is to imply it is made up of matter and therefore is subject to the same time constraints that we find in our universe. Therefore, if God does indeed exist then he is subject to some sort of time-frame just as we are.

The OP brings up a good point in his/her title. If existence is God and God is existence, then perhaps they are synonymous. However, people don't like that because it takes away their idea of God as being some sort of omnipotent, omniscient, forever-like being. In order for God to be existence he must also be constituted of "stuff" and therefore limited to certain natural confines to include the flow of time's arrow and laws of physics. So, in the vaguest of senses, if you want to call "existence" or "nature" God then I think you have an inaccurate definition but I won't argue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 08:02 PM

84 posts, read 273,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
Its really a beach to explain my views on the universe outside the concept of time. Some people just find it impossible to imagine a place where the arrow of time does not exist.

absolutely...that is why it cannot be explained nor should an attempt be made. Timelessness is beyond the ken of man, beyond senses, sensory/mental perception, beyond form. Beyond the vocabulary...why then explain anything?

mark

Old 04-11-2008, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love life View Post
How can you explain how existence came into existence? The only logical answer is existence is uncaused. Yea of course we will never understand this FACT. It could have easily been Nothing from eternity past to Nothing today. But we see life around us and real things in the universe. When you think about it before we came into this world we were all gone forever and ever! God was the ONLY living thing from eternity past to eternity past. The fact that a Being like God exist is very disturbing...not only that..the fact that this being did not come from anywhere but was always in existence! Life is really a miracle when you think about it. Its not a accident. How can you explain eternity? Existence that has no beginning or end? That is mind boggling and scary. The only way i can think this is possible is that time cannot be tied with it. No matter how far you try to look for a beginning you will never find it.

Thats how i understand eternity and existence. You cannot point to a beginning to it. It if has no beginning then that means it has no end! Just think about if God had a beginning or was created then who created God? It would be a endless cycle! In other words that is impossible..because you have to keep searching for who was first! But you still have a problem..who caused the first? Thats why God is uncaused and has no origin. He is existence itself. His presence can be felt everywhere and seen.

Why is this "scary" ?? Scary because mind cannot fathom the infinite...Yet, all around in form and subtleness God exists. IMO why look for beginning/middle/ends, whatever. WE all look outside of our SELF...heck I did that for years....

Old 04-12-2008, 03:20 PM

93 posts, read 182,664 times
I wasn't speaking about evolution. Rather I was speaking about the creation of the universe by chance.

Also, before the Big Bang there was not time. We count the start of the universe, the Big Bang, as the start of all time.

Old 04-12-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Panda god View Post
I wasn't speaking about evolution. Rather I was speaking about the creation of the universe by chance.

Also, before the Big Bang there was not time. We count the start of the universe, the Big Bang, as the start of all time.
Personally I can't see that...Big Bang...then time? There may have been an infinte # of big bangs in myriad universes resulting in untold # of beings/events.

What science knows of space and consciousness is next to nothing.
possibilities are endless

Old 04-12-2008, 03:40 PM

93 posts, read 182,664 times
True, multi-verses may exist. However, they have no bearing on our start of time and existence. I may have a child in the future, but his/her time in life has not started and neither has his/her existence. I won't continue with the analogy because it gets... adult.

However, you cannot have time without existence. Therefore, existence is needed to create time.

Old 04-12-2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:
True, multi-verses may exist. However, they have no bearing on our start of time and existence. I may have a child in the future, but his/her time in life has not started and neither has his/her existence. I won't continue with the analogy because it gets... adult.

However, you cannot have time without existence. Therefore, existence is needed to create time.

yes...but you can have existense and no time

Old 04-13-2008, 08:12 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,348,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
My problem is that in order for something to exist it has to be made up of matter. The very presence of matter is what makes times arrow flow, and makes up existence itself. From the second we had "something" after the Big Bang, we also had a flow of time. To say that something "exists" is to imply it is made up of matter and therefore is subject to the same time constraints that we find in our universe. Therefore, if God does indeed exist then he is subject to some sort of time-frame just as we are.

The OP brings up a good point in his/her title. If existence is God and God is existence, then perhaps they are synonymous. However, people don't like that because it takes away their idea of God as being some sort of omnipotent, omniscient, forever-like being. In order for God to be existence he must also be constituted of "stuff" and therefore limited to certain natural confines to include the flow of time's arrow and laws of physics. So, in the vaguest of senses, if you want to call "existence" or "nature" God then I think you have an inaccurate definition but I won't argue.

Your much more familiar with the physics of "creation" than I.

Nevertheless, entertain my mental rambling.

You said " the very existence of matter is what makes time's arrow flow"
If we look at the relationship between matter and energy, we find motion to be significant. In Einsteins case it was the speed of light.

Then if we look at the story in genesis, we find the first thing that was created was light. Before light there was a void ( vacumn ) that had been created.

It was after the creation of light ( motion/energy ), that matter occurred.

Don't know what this means, or were to go with it, but I wonder if great minds would entertain us theists, and begin with the hypothesis that "a force yet observed" ( or what we call God ) factors into the equation, we might all be able to work together and see where it takes us all.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:27 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,360,500 times
Quote:

I see time as another dimension, and I am not sure why you want to start time at the big bang, could be a shift in time, but I feel sure time was moving along as the universal matter was undergoing its compression prior to the BANG.

Old 04-13-2008, 03:35 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,942,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
I see time as another dimension, and I am not sure why you want to start time at the big bang, could be a shift in time, but I feel sure time was moving along as the universal matter was undergoing its compression prior to the BANG.
I dont know, remember from relativity101 that space and time are the same thing so since before the expansion there was no space, then there was no time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality