Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2019, 10:08 AM

50,777 posts, read 24,277,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
I am on this forum for two reasons

1) to try to understand what, why and how fundamentalist Christians think and believe. They are uncommon in my world...
Well aren't you the lucky one!

Old 08-16-2019, 10:08 AM

29,543 posts, read 9,707,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Well actually right wing christians constantly need this explained to them.
Good point.

Anyone who expresses their opinion without an open willingness to discuss the merit(s) of that opinion falls into the category of needing this explained to them I suppose, well beyond just right wing Christians of course...

Old 08-16-2019, 10:15 AM

22,154 posts, read 19,206,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
...ONE: There are two essential realities for all human beings. One reality is as they perceive it to be -- their personal reality. The second reality is all that truly exists in the Universe -- universal truth.
and according to the next item on the list of "your nine beliefs" universal truth can not be known or identified because:

"TWO: Human beings cannot know all that truly exists. The Universe and all it contains is full of mystery that will forever be marveled and pursued by Man as long as he survives."

Old 08-16-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
I am on this forum for two reasons

1) to try to understand what, why and how fundamentalist Christians think and believe. They are uncommon in my world and yet because of their influence in the USA they have an influence in Canada and the World

2) to try to understand what it is like being an atheist in a very religious region. I cannot gain this from first hand experience unless I moved to a different country which I am too old and not wealthy enough to do legally

These forums assist me in both areas. I am not a troll. I see no reason why I should not be able to post and read here just because my views are not the same as the OP. Without being on a forum where one can question, debate how really does one learn what I came to do ? I find the comment that I should leave and come back when I have the correct spiritual concept both arrogant and against leaning. There are forums just for atheists which could answer some of my second question and f9rums for Christians that could answer my first.

To LeranMe I have as much right on this forum as has you and unless I break the rules set out by the forum owners I will continue to participate as long as I wish.
Welcome. There is no reason for you to do other than post whatever you wish! Are you confusing my comments with someone else's perhaps? Or just confused about my comments in general?

I am reminded of another "nugget" that can sometimes be found along the way in this forum. Not only what are different opinions and beliefs but how differently people tend to express them, feel about them, defend them...

My daughter is famous in our family for declaring at a very young age that "people are different." Boy if there is one thing this forum proves everyday in no uncertain terms, it's that "people are different" in all variety of ways. No doubt!

Old 08-16-2019, 10:20 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,184,870 times
Quote:
Are we there yet?

If not, a little more in the way of help please, because I feel like I keep answering the same questions without getting a good sense about what is so hard to understand...
I'm not there yet mainly because of your first "truth".
"ONE: There are two essential realities for all human beings. One reality is as they perceive it to be -- their personal reality. The second reality is all that truly exists in the Universe -- universal truth."

When it comes to this particular forum, I don't know of one aspect of religion or spirituality that can be considered a "universal truth" .
Perhaps you will suggest one or more that belong here rather than on the science board.
I'm willing for you to 'learn me'.

Old 08-16-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
My statement of educational philosophy only worked for me because it aligned with that particular district's educational philosophy.

Retired now...for a decade.

My only hesitation with your thesis is around the term "universal truth". To me that's very nebulous. I'm trying to think of some universal truth I've actually seen or experienced.
Ah, thanks, but universal truth is actually the opposite of nebulous...

It's simply the "true understanding of all that exists in the Universe, proven or yet to be proven."

What is perhaps "nebulous" for you is what is "yet to be proven?" Needless to say, we can all accept what we don't know too. Should be able anyway.

SIX: Man's ability to theorize is a faculty that allows Man to advance toward greater awareness and understanding of universal truth. The theoretical often guides Man to great scientific discovery. However, when conjecture rather than sound reason and logic leads to faith and the conversion of minds toward the likes of religion rather than the laws and limits of empirical science, great harm can and does come to Man instead. This is because the great majority of people cannot accept the confines of science. Instead conjecture is strongly promoted as truth ultimately to the point of creating profound divisions between people resulting in great conflict, violence and war, still raging since the dark ages; The Crusades, Jews v Muslims, Protestants v Catholics, Shiites v Sunnis...

Old 08-16-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
and according to the next item on the list of "your nine beliefs" universal truth can not be known or identified because:

"TWO: Human beings cannot know all that truly exists. The Universe and all it contains is full of mystery that will forever be marveled and pursued by Man as long as he survives."
Yes. There is what we have come to better understand as what is universally true for all of us and there is still what we don't know. Of course. Right? Mostly I advocate we recognize what we actually know and what we don't with the humility and patience to let our universal truth reveal itself as it will over time, without any cause to fight over what it is!

Old 08-16-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I'm not there yet mainly because of your first "truth".
"ONE: There are two essential realities for all human beings. One reality is as they perceive it to be -- their personal reality. The second reality is all that truly exists in the Universe -- universal truth."

When it comes to this particular forum, I don't know of one aspect of religion or spirituality that can be considered a "universal truth" .
Perhaps you will suggest one or more that belong here rather than on the science board.
I'm willing for you to 'learn me'.
Surely much if not all the rest that follows the first truth addresses what you are asking me here. Does it not? Have you considered all Nine Truths together, because needless to say all of them are related to how religion and spirituality are very directly involved.

Old 08-16-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Ah, thanks, but universal truth is actually the opposite of nebulous...

It's simply the "true understanding of all that exists in the Universe, proven or yet to be proven."

What is perhaps "nebulous" for you is what is "yet to be proven?" Needless to say, we can all accept what we don't know too. Should be able anyway.

SIX: Man's ability to theorize is a faculty that allows Man to advance toward greater awareness and understanding of universal truth. The theoretical often guides Man to great scientific discovery. However, when conjecture rather than sound reason and logic leads to faith and the conversion of minds toward the likes of religion rather than the laws and limits of empirical science, great harm can and does come to Man instead. This is because the great majority of people cannot accept the confines of science. Instead conjecture is strongly promoted as truth ultimately to the point of creating profound divisions between people resulting in great conflict, violence and war, still raging since the dark ages; The Crusades, Jews v Muslims, Protestants v Catholics, Shiites v Sunnis...

"we can all accept what we don't know too."

so then you can accept that consciousness in the human being is a non-physical eternal soul temporarily inhabiting a physical corporeal body, and the soul returns to inhabit a different body lifetime after lifetime through the process of reincarnation.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 08-16-2019 at 10:42 AM..

Old 08-16-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Yes. There is what we have come to better understand as what is universally true for all of us and there is still what we don't know. Of course. Right? Mostly I advocate we recognize what we actually know and what we don't with the humility and patience to let our universal truth reveal itself as it will over time, without any cause to fight over what it is!
then for the purpose of clarity in discussion, how about using the word "fact" instead of "universal truth."

People have given you consistent feedback on how use of the phrase "universal truth" is problematic.
How able are you to convey your message in ways that address that?

in other words can you say what it is you are trying to say using different words.
that is a prerequisite for effective communication.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 08-16-2019 at 10:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality