Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2019, 07:26 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,982,713 times

Advertisements

Many decades ago I read in a self help book, maybe one on EST, that said when you have worrying thoughts just change the tape running in your head. So if I have troubling thoughts, I just tell mself to stop it and I think of something else. To me the future is just the next week or so, and the past is a place of happy memories. The older I get, the more I think of past incidents that I enjoyed, different adventures and different interesting people I knew. I enjoy that. I don't waste time on bad memories. I have no long range plans, so if I am feeling good right now, that's good enough for me right now. And it's always right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2019, 07:33 PM

16,152 posts, read 7,127,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I stop what I am doing or thinking and look at my surroundings and remind myself just to take this moment to be in this moment. This usually happens when I am in or in view of a natural setting. It resets my mind.

It takes practice to remember to take those moments, but I'm getting better at it as time goes by.
I like this. I do this as well, or try. Sometimes My head so much in the past of woulda, shoulda, that I have to stop and look around and feel the glorious day, the warm sun, bright skies, and take a deep breath. It does help.

Old 08-24-2019, 07:57 PM

7,615 posts, read 4,189,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
The past is dead, the future is unknown, the present is the only thing you got. Live in the present. This is the key to if not happiness, at least relief from suffering, sadness, depression.
Breathing in and out, meditation, maybe prayer, all help. Yoga.

How do you practice being in the present? Does it bring relief, help you get up and go again, bring you bliss?
What is your method?
I know exactly how much I can spend each day. Some days I am a little sad about it but when the credit card bill comes in, I am quite proud of myself.

But to really address the spiritual aspect of it, being in the moment, I quickly recognize the feeling of worry. I either do something about it or I let it go. If I feel like something needs to be done, I do it. If I feel like I don't want to spend all of my free time dealing with something or somebody, I let go.

Old 08-24-2019, 10:29 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,107,447 times
Quote:
The past is dead, the future is unknown, the present is the only thing you got. Live in the present. This is the key to if not happiness, at least relief from suffering, sadness, depression.
Breathing in and out, meditation, maybe prayer, all help. Yoga.

How do you practice being in the present? Does it bring relief, help you get up and go again, bring you bliss?
What is your method?
Classical BS that sounds good only in the books.

There are so many feelings that come natural to us as humans. We cannot live happy or live sad for a very long and extended time period. There are so many situations that we deal with on day to day basis. There is a lot financial squeeze in a huge chunk of the world population. There are homeless and folks who cant afford two hot meals a day. People have sick babies in blistering hot weather with no access to a fan.

And then, it’s our nature that we can’t truly forget our past and cannot ignore the future.

What world do you live in?

Old 08-25-2019, 12:28 AM

10,798 posts, read 3,615,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itzpapalotl View Post
Outside of a quick relaxation exercise, this is quite possibly one of the most damaging ideas out there, as far as I'm concerned.

Ignoring the past, means we ignore the lessons that could significantly improve our lives. Ignoring the future means, we disregard the consequences of our actions.
I don't think you understand what the OP means. Of course, we should learn from the past, but we can't change it. But none of us know if even the next second is given to us. The only thing we can do is actually LIVE in the present, this second, from second to second.

This appeared today after rains. Absorbing it as it appeared over our little village was magical, and I lived in the present taking it in. It was gone a few minutes later. I lived in the present moment for that time.

Old 08-25-2019, 01:42 AM

1,456 posts, read 519,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
I don't think you understand what the OP means. Of course, we should learn from the past, but we can't change it. But none of us know if even the next second is given to us. The only thing we can do is actually LIVE in the present, this second, from second to second.
I don't know about you, normstad, but I'm able to understand things and still find certain ideas damaging.

There is a massive difference between savouring a moment, appreciating little things, and taking stock of the present and embracing a wholesale idea that only the present counts. Besides, OP didn't qualify whether they consider this just a useful exercise every now and then or a recommended outlook on life. It is the latter that I find so utterly appalling.

Old 08-25-2019, 05:16 AM

16,152 posts, read 7,127,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Classical BS that sounds good only in the books.

There are so many feelings that come natural to us as humans. We cannot live happy or live sad for a very long and extended time period. There are so many situations that we deal with on day to day basis. There is a lot financial squeeze in a huge chunk of the world population. There are homeless and folks who cant afford two hot meals a day. People have sick babies in blistering hot weather with no access to a fan.

And then, it’s our nature that we can’t truly forget our past and cannot ignore the future.

What world do you live in?
If other people’s suffering is what worries you, nothing stops you from going out there, putting your body to work, and do what you can to lessen their burden. While at it you can live in the present.

Old 08-25-2019, 05:20 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,731,066 times
Quote:
So... be the grasshopper, not the ant?

Old 08-25-2019, 05:45 AM

1,096 posts, read 421,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
This appeared today after rains. Absorbing it as it appeared over our little village was magical, and I lived in the present taking it in. It was gone a few minutes later. I lived in the present moment for that time.

Normstad that is a really beautiful picture! And a good example of living in the present.

Regarding other posts... I don't ignore my feelings, think that does more damage. But if I am excessively worried and can't seem to shake it, I will also stop what I'm doing and try one of a few different things. I will call up a happy memory like bobspez mentioned. I will enter that memory and roam around in it for a while. I also do a lot of visualization involving sacred spaces I return to. Or I will look at my plants and use them as a focus tool to allow myself to relax and meditate. Or I may do a mantra, the repetition is calming. Whichever of those calls to me most at the time.

Old 08-25-2019, 06:17 AM

157 posts, read 94,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itzpapalotl View Post
I don't know about you, normstad, but I'm able to understand things and still find certain ideas damaging.

There is a massive difference between savouring a moment, appreciating little things, and taking stock of the present and embracing a wholesale idea that only the present counts. Besides, OP didn't qualify whether they consider this just a useful exercise every now and then or a recommended outlook on life. It is the latter that I find so utterly appalling.
I've been "practicing" mindfulness for years. ("Practicing" as in, trying to get better at it, not as in doing it regularly.) I think even in this thread, it's not described as quite what I've learned it to be.

It's not appreciating the moment or taking stock. Being grateful for what we have and taking it in is wonderful, of course. But I understand mindfulness to be about not letting your thoughts take you away from the present moment. It doesn't necessarily have to be a good moment.

Probably not everyone needs this exercise and if that's you, I'm genuinely envious. Someone like me? I continually have a reel going in the back of my mind thinking about the past or the future - what if, remember when, I can't wait.... I am learning to retrain my thinking so that I can focus my thoughts more sharply on the present instead of constantly wandering. The thump of my mug as I place it on the table next to me. The light weight of my glasses across my nose. The sounds of my husband walking upstairs. I may or may not be grateful for these things. What I am, though, is aware. This moment has not been wasted on something that no longer exists or something that may never come to be.

It's not an idea that only the present counts. It's the idea that the present is all we have. But it all counts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality