Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2020, 09:23 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,594,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
It is definitely an educated statement and there are no disputes among neuroscientists about the fact that the entire brain is engaged in stimulus processing. Only our conscious processing is limited. I have no idea where you are getting your mistaken information.
its unbelievable to me that untrained people can just say "thats not science."

its astounding to me. You use basic science and they say you are not. I mean its ok to disagree with you, I mean I don't, but to say your not using the right science is absolutely the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2020, 09:31 AM

63,849 posts, read 40,142,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I am sorry. read any basic book on human physiology. Particularly, part about stimuli processing delay. Also, hierarchy of sensual perception.
That done, one will learn that the so called "reality" is delayed virtual image, created by mind, primarily off visual stimulus (roughly 80%) and, possibly, compensated for the delay by same mind, to avoid destructive situations.

In lay terms, we all live in virtual reality, not reality reality.

I care less what scientific propaganda says. Go back to basics and facts, not peer reviewed opinions and resulting hazing.

There is not a single sensory stimulus that is processed instantly, to provide instant picture of Reality.

This is period and end of sentence, there is nothing to question or argue here. It is His Majesty FACT. What, also, was known for thousands of years in Eastern philosophy and spiritual concepts. World is illusion, Maya.
Strangely, we seem to be more in agreement than disagreement, so I will attribute that to a communication failure. A huge caveat to the virtual reality notion is that it still must be taken seriously. If you see a car barreling down the road toward you, step out of the way! The consequences of not taking virtual reality seriously can be disastrous. This is the major drawback to solipsism. You should read cognitive scientist Don Hoffman's ideas.

Old 04-18-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:
The search for truth is confounded by competing worldviews based on their emphasis on different aspects of brain function. LearnMe and his Ten Truths focus on one brain aspect and largely ignore, discount, or dismiss the other. I focus on both which makes discourse with him and others here on these issues problematic. A particularly cogent description can be found in R.L.Wing's book, The Tao of Power. Here are some relevant excerpts:

"The brain accepts all types of information from all stimuli simultaneously, and the mind processes it in the form of emotional responses, intuitive feelings, and logically formulated analyses. In the West, we rely almost exclusively on logical analysis. . . . These logical functions, according to neurological research, are performed by the left hemisphere of the brain. At the same time, we learn to discount aesthetic or intuitive information - a right hemisphere function - because it is considered less valuable to our culture. Thus we find ourselves primarily concerned with measuring events and analyzing their meaning, rather than creating and directing their flow. We are taught to ignore the intuitive or irrational, no matter how strong these 'gut feelings' might be. As these right-hemisphere feelings are repressed, we lose touch with our intuitive mind and our insights become increasingly rare.

. . . The fact is, each of us knows far more about reality --- past, present, and future --- than we are able to understand and express rationally. And whether or not we work on our inner development, we all experience, with our intuitive minds, the most profound truths about our world and our destiny. What we must do, then, is use our analytical, logical mind to bring this potentially vital information to the surface, where we can use it. . . . And, in doing so, we achieve the fulfillment that comes from leaving what we touch with our minds a little more evolved than we found it.

. . . If individuals do all of their thinking on the physical plane and make little effort on the nonphysical plane --- cultivating intuition, gaining instinctive knowledge of the workings of the universe, and developing the insight to evolve both themselves and their society --- then those lives have no real meaning or significance in terms of the physical reality. This is so because work done on the nonphysical plane is more aligned with the purpose of the universe, and therefore, it has a more powerful effect upon our physical reality. Our inner work influences and evolves the universe, which in turn, evolves our reality. "

The focus on just one aspect, like LearnMe and others, does not make one blind. But just as one eye hinders a three-dimensional vision, using only one brain aspect hinders a true grasp of Reality.
I don't think there is a non physical plane.

It may not be hadrons based, or even our periodic table due to the conditions, but I bet it gets back to energy gradients none the less. I bet we will see it link back to something similar to qed. with the word "electro" needing an upgrade.

Old 04-18-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I don't think there is a non physical plane.
That is just a term for the mass audience that refers to the unmeasurable aspects of Reality.
Quote:
It may not be hadrons based, or even our periodic table due to the conditions, but I bet it gets back to energy gradients none the less. I bet we will see it link back to something similar to qed. with the word "electro" needing an upgrade.
Correct. That is why I use the EM-like reference but for all intents and purposes our consciousness and 95+% of our Reality is not directly measurable using our "working observer interface."

Old 04-18-2020, 10:14 AM

29,552 posts, read 9,737,716 times
Quote:
The search for truth is confounded by competing worldviews based on their emphasis on different aspects of brain function. LearnMe and his Ten Truths focus on one brain aspect and largely ignore, discount, or dismiss the other. I focus on both which makes discourse with him and others here on these issues problematic. A particularly cogent description can be found in R.L.Wing's book, The Tao of Power. Here are some relevant excerpts:

"The brain accepts all types of information from all stimuli simultaneously, and the mind processes it in the form of emotional responses, intuitive feelings, and logically formulated analyses. In the West, we rely almost exclusively on logical analysis. . . . These logical functions, according to neurological research, are performed by the left hemisphere of the brain. At the same time, we learn to discount aesthetic or intuitive information - a right hemisphere function - because it is considered less valuable to our culture. Thus we find ourselves primarily concerned with measuring events and analyzing their meaning, rather than creating and directing their flow. We are taught to ignore the intuitive or irrational, no matter how strong these 'gut feelings' might be. As these right-hemisphere feelings are repressed, we lose touch with our intuitive mind and our insights become increasingly rare.

. . . The fact is, each of us knows far more about reality --- past, present, and future --- than we are able to understand and express rationally. And whether or not we work on our inner development, we all experience, with our intuitive minds, the most profound truths about our world and our destiny. What we must do, then, is use our analytical, logical mind to bring this potentially vital information to the surface, where we can use it. . . . And, in doing so, we achieve the fulfillment that comes from leaving what we touch with our minds a little more evolved than we found it.

. . . If individuals do all of their thinking on the physical plane and make little effort on the nonphysical plane --- cultivating intuition, gaining instinctive knowledge of the workings of the universe, and developing the insight to evolve both themselves and their society --- then those lives have no real meaning or significance in terms of the physical reality. This is so because work done on the nonphysical plane is more aligned with the purpose of the universe, and therefore, it has a more powerful effect upon our physical reality. Our inner work influences and evolves the universe, which in turn, evolves our reality. "

The focus on just one aspect, like LearnMe and others, does not make one blind. But just as one eye hinders a three-dimensional vision, using only one brain aspect hinders a true grasp of Reality.
You keep angling in this way...

It is entirely pedantic, and I long ago grew weary of arguing who is ignoring what. I am NOT ignoring anything. I am addressing the "competing worldviews" as they have manifested themselves across the planet since we humans came on the scene. Need I refer to those truths specifically, again?

If instead you want to keep insisting that I am ignoring what you bring to this discussion along those lines, then I see no evidence you are not ignoring what I am explaining any differently.

Where does that leave us?

I suspect you will ignore that question too...

Last edited by LearnMe; 04-18-2020 at 10:26 AM..

Old 04-18-2020, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
And I'm not asking you to. If I've led you to believe that I am, I'm sorry. That way not my intention. It may seem to you as if I "jump to faith," but to me, it's more of a conscious, purposeful walk forward towards something I can most definitely hope for and which, hoping for, gives life more meaning to my life.

I wouldn't have you do anything differently than you're already doing, other than that you stop suggesting that everyone follow your lead. So I guess it leaves us at an impasse. And no, I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I don't see any problem with my line of reasoning. It works well for me and I fail to see how it impacts you at all. If you believe it does, please tell me how.

By the way, I did go back and read your "Cement Theory." I have changed my way of thinking so greatly between when I was in my 20s and where I am now (at 71) that it's not even funny!
Please no worries. I know you are not asking me to do anything, and I am not asking you to do anything other than consider this simple "comparing of notes" for what it is...

So let me ask you, regardless what we want to call it, at what age would you say you have your earliest memory of the "conscious, purposeful walk" you are referring to?

And please again, when did I ask or suggest "everyone" follow my lead?

Is it not possible to exchange thoughts and opinions about these topics without "everyone" turning it into a question of intention? I've explained my goal(s) here in more than a few ways, but never have I made myself out to be some kind of leader. I've got no illusions what can and can't be accomplished in this forum. I simply have thoughts about this topic as expressed in my truths, for whatever they may be worth. Ideally worth discussion. I see no reason for the "impasse" you are anxious to conclude, but if you feel you're done, I'm not asking you to do anything in this thread or forum you don't want to do. I assume you will do like the rest of us and do as you please.

I do understand the inevitable "impasse" that is forever there before any discussion even begins, however. AKA my Cement Theory...

Old 04-18-2020, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I am sorry. read any basic book on human physiology. Particularly, part about stimuli processing delay. Also, hierarchy of sensual perception.
That done, one will learn that the so called "reality" is delayed virtual image, created by mind, primarily off visual stimulus (roughly 80%) and, possibly, compensated for the delay by same mind, to avoid destructive situations.

In lay terms, we all live in virtual reality, not reality reality.

I care less what scientific propaganda says. Go back to basics and facts, not peer reviewed opinions and resulting hazing.

There is not a single sensory stimulus that is processed instantly, to provide instant picture of Reality.

This is period and end of sentence, there is nothing to question or argue here. It is His Majesty FACT. What, also, was known for thousands of years in Eastern philosophy and spiritual concepts. World is illusion, Maya.
"Perception is everything." No doubt, but not necessarily universal truth or reality...

Old 04-18-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Please no worries. I know you are not asking me to do anything, and I am not asking you to do anything other than consider this simple "comparing of notes" for what it is...

So let me ask you, regardless what we want to call it, at what age would you say you have your earliest memory of the "conscious, purposeful walk" you are referring to?

And please again, when did I ask or suggest "everyone" follow my lead?

Is it not possible to exchange thoughts and opinions about these topics without "everyone" turning it into a question of intention? I've explained my goal(s) here in more than a few ways, but never have I made myself out to be some kind of leader. I've got no illusions what can and can't be accomplished in this forum. I simply have thoughts about this topic as expressed in my truths, for whatever they may be worth. Ideally worth discussion. I see no reason for the "impasse" you are anxious to conclude, but if you feel you're done, I'm not asking you to do anything in this thread or forum you don't want to do. I assume you will do like the rest of us and do as you please.

I do understand the inevitable "impasse" that is forever there before any discussion even begins, however. AKA my Cement Theory...
As I see it, you have a very difficult time understanding how anyone could reconcile within their own minds what you consider to be patently absurd ideas. You seek assiduously to query those who accept what you consider patently absurd ideas to try to discern what on earth could possibly account for such irrational acceptance. Your only concession to the inexplicable existence of the phenomenon is your Cement Theory (otherwise know in academic circles as Gestalt Theory).

Old 04-18-2020, 06:21 PM

28,100 posts, read 29,986,691 times
Quote:
As I see it, you have a very difficult time understanding how anyone could reconcile within their own minds what you consider to be patently absurd ideas. You seek assiduously to query those who accept what you consider patently absurd ideas to try to discern what on earth could possibly account for such irrational acceptance. Your only concession to the inexplicable existence of the phenomenon is your Cement Theory (otherwise know in academic circles as Gestalt Theory).
That's pretty much as I see it, too, Mystic.

Old 04-19-2020, 06:30 AM

Quote:
I see how people respond to anti-religion as indicator of a brain state. some of us absolutely don't care about god claims so long as they align with what we know about the universe. which is funny that some atheist say they follow science but reject aligning the traits of god to the universe.

The stance that we shouldn't align god claims to what we know about the universe is as contradictory as god created us and then have to save us. be that as it may ...

Bell curve people. What tool could we use to determine if people are confusing anti-religion with god claims? we know some rely on that confusion to deceive people, but I am talking about people that really are confused.

I ask that because in my job I have a lot people ask me about this stuff. For some, they needed to lesson in separating god claims from bad people in religion. For most its only about a ten minute discussion and they they often say ":I was never told that." I informed them that they may never have met a person that either knows or that doesn't care if there is or is not a god before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality