Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the following defines you the most?
Your faith/religion. 5 27.78%
Your family position (Ex: mother/father). 0 0%
Your job. 0 0%
Your social standing/network. 1 5.56%
Your political position(s). 1 5.56%
Your hobby (cars, guns, cooking). 1 5.56%
Your race. 0 0%
Your culture. 2 11.11%
Where you live. 1 5.56%
Other. 7 38.89%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 10:54 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I like to think I live in accordance with "knowing right from wrong," but I don't credit God or anything spiritual with that goal. ...
I would say I'm pretty much in that same place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2019, 10:54 AM

29,531 posts, read 9,700,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
I don't use it to define myself because I am not religious. But it may be used to define my interactions with others who are religious.
I've have come to know people personally and especially in this forum who certainly seem defined by their religion. A significant part of their life experience that tends to foster an "exclusivity" that someone like me without a religion often finds a little off-putting to be entirely honest. The more exclusive in nature, the more off-putting...

Last edited by LearnMe; 09-22-2019 at 11:03 AM..

Old 09-22-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
The people I care about define me within the scope of my religion. That means that I will always seek to find a way to reconcile the beliefs of my religion with the lives of those I care about, so as not to permit an obstacle or alienation between me and those I care about.
Not sure I fully understand, but the part about reconciliation certainly resonates with me...

Unfortunately, I all too often feel and observe the opposite is happening when it comes to how people of different faith manage those differences.

Old 09-22-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'm always a little annoyed when a thread title and the subsequent poll say two different things, but not to the point where my day is ruined.

Religion doesn't define me at all (thread question) and none of the things in the poll define me, either, so I went with the majority and said "Other".

If I had to choose something, I'd say I was defined by the way the people in my life who care about me most see me.
Thanks for stepping over and around the pot holes...

I know what you mean, and I thank you for your reply that works anyway. Far as I'm concerned anyway. Mostly I'm just interested in the answers regardless these challenges as I like to think my opening comment touches upon. That said, however, when it comes to thread titles and subsequent polls, I have not yet achieved master status. My apologies...

Old 09-22-2019, 11:20 AM

1,378 posts, read 392,757 times
Well God openly manifested here at my house yesterday. So God has defined me as someone He can openly manifest physically to. I think that is because I generally help people & try to be good to my neighbour like Jesus told people to do. Jesus says in The Bible that He will manifest to you & that is a fact. He does manifest & He is absolutely awesome!!!!!!!

So God has defined me as a person He can manifest to.

And God is the only Good Person There Is Apparently. So I don't care how anyone else defines me.

Old 09-22-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean777 View Post
Well God openly manifested here at my house yesterday. So God has defined me as someone He can openly manifest physically to. I think that is because I generally help people & try to be good to my neighbour like Jesus told people to do. Jesus says in The Bible that He will manifest to you & that is a fact. He does manifest & He is absolutely awesome!!!!!!!

So God has defined me as a person He can manifest to.

And God is the only Good Person There Is Apparently. So I don't care how anyone else defines me.
It amazes me that god manifests himself at your house day after day, yet so many millions of other people who need a visit from god, and pray for such a visit, are ignored.

Old 09-22-2019, 12:11 PM

1,378 posts, read 392,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It amazes me that god manifests himself at your house day after day, yet so many millions of other people who need a visit from god, and pray for such a visit, are ignored.
That's not true. They are all just openly mocked by critics & so they don't mention their visitations from God. It does happen millions of times a day throughout the world. I get mocked all the time.

So they keep their encounters with God & Angels to themselves

Last edited by ocean777; 09-22-2019 at 12:25 PM..

Old 09-22-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean777 View Post
That's not true. They are all just openly mocked by critics & so they don't mention their visitations from God. It does happen millions of times a day throughout the world. I get mocked all the time but I don't care.

So they keep their encounters with God & Angels to themselves
And there's a reason they're mocked, although more often than not, my experience has been that normal people just feel sorry for their delusions.

Old 09-22-2019, 12:31 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
I am going to have to go with none of the above.

I would say that my sense of morality defines me more than any of the others. From that, my political views, my relationship to my family, my work ethic, and several other things are derived.

Old 09-22-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I am going to have to go with none of the above.

I would say that my sense of morality defines me more than any of the others. From that, my political views, my relationship to my family, my work ethic, and several other things are derived.
That's well stated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality