Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the following defines you the most?
Your faith/religion. 5 27.78%
Your family position (Ex: mother/father). 0 0%
Your job. 0 0%
Your social standing/network. 1 5.56%
Your political position(s). 1 5.56%
Your hobby (cars, guns, cooking). 1 5.56%
Your race. 0 0%
Your culture. 2 11.11%
Where you live. 1 5.56%
Other. 7 38.89%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 09:34 PM

1,378 posts, read 393,513 times

Advertisements

There's nothing more I can add to this thread. I am defined by my encounters with God. That is all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2019, 02:44 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean777 View Post
There's nothing more I can add to this thread. I am defined by my encounters with God. That is all.
What a terrible shame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Thank you, Phetaroi. I guess that quote exemplifies a major way in which my religion defines me.

Edited to add:

Here you go. I've made a meme for you.
Couldn't agree more. As self -appointed spokesperson for all the brotherhood of international atheism ..eh wot...all right sisterhood too - I would wish to put on record our block support for this expression of united peoples' solidarity.

Aside all kidding. secular humanism (often mistaken for atheism, which it isn't) is a system or method that naturally incorporates all religions or none on a basis of 'This is the religion I do and does not seek to ..' I'm finding it hard to say just what.. It's like not pushing to dominate or say why it's the only true view even if they think it is, but it's kept out of the social matrix and kept as a separate debate if there has to be one.

Quote:

So it's correct to protect all religions but it's also correct to attack the ones you don't agree with & call them "delusions". Okay got it. Cool. Thanks a lot
I have to agree (and with you I don't, very much ) that this is a point and why trying to find the right words made me scratch my head, amongst other things.

Of course there is going to be dispute and disagreement. That's how we learn and move forwards. But how do we stop that tearing society apart? There has to be a system of having people free to have their own views and freedom to argue them (aside from groups that have legal protection. (Against anti -Semitism for one) but those disagreements and disputes are kept out of society and are not allowed to infringe on others.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 09-23-2019 at 03:50 AM..

Old 09-23-2019, 03:31 AM

7,595 posts, read 4,165,130 times
Quote:

So it's correct to protect all religions but it's also correct to attack the ones you don't agree with & call them "delusions". Okay got it. Cool. Thanks a lot
If you see things or hear things, I think those are called hallucinations, not delusions, but not when it comes to religion. With religion, seeing god or hearing him is considered real by religious people. I think that as long as it doesn't impact your ability to form relationships with others, then it is not considered a problem. Once your beliefs start interfering with other people's lives, they start calling you things like delusional and that you are having hallucinations. In other words, they respond negatively.

I know that Jesus gives people strength when he says to expect people to mock you. I would be concerned if I had bad interactions with others.

Old 09-23-2019, 11:00 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times
Quote:
Well God openly manifested here at my house yesterday. So God has defined me as someone He can openly manifest physically to. I think that is because I generally help people & try to be good to my neighbour like Jesus told people to do. Jesus says in The Bible that He will manifest to you & that is a fact. He does manifest & He is absolutely awesome!!!!!!!

So God has defined me as a person He can manifest to.

And God is the only Good Person There Is Apparently. So I don't care how anyone else defines me.
This thread is not about how others might define you but how you define yourself, but clearly God sees something about you others might not. Thanks for sharing and for being very consistent about your experiences with God...

Old 09-23-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It amazes me that god manifests himself at your house day after day, yet so many millions of other people who need a visit from god, and pray for such a visit, are ignored.
Envy is not an admirable trait. Just saying...

Old 09-23-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I am going to have to go with none of the above.

I would say that my sense of morality defines me more than any of the others. From that, my political views, my relationship to my family, my work ethic, and several other things are derived.
"Sense of morality."

Good one that I'd include top of my list too while also making clear my sense of morality is no way dependent on religious guidance but simple distinction between right from wrong based on what common sense my life experience has taught me.

Old 09-23-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel NewYork View Post
Regarding the management of differences between people, this quote is what resonates with me:

"As Jews, we know that true religious freedom is a shield to protect all religions and never a sword to discriminate. It often feels like religion is used to discriminate -- and that is not something we stand for, regardless of the issue." -- Sheila Katz, president of the National Counsel of Jewish Women
Thank you. Though it's hard not to like this quote, the reality is the sword is forever swinging in all directions, and no doubt "actions speak louder than words" no matter who says what. That tends to be the rub and/or another quote always worth keeping in mind...

Old 09-23-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
If you see things or hear things, I think those are called hallucinations, not delusions, but not when it comes to religion. With religion, seeing god or hearing him is considered real by religious people. I think that as long as it doesn't impact your ability to form relationships with others, then it is not considered a problem. Once your beliefs start interfering with other people's lives, they start calling you things like delusional and that you are having hallucinations. In other words, they respond negatively.

I know that Jesus gives people strength when he says to expect people to mock you. I would be concerned if I had bad interactions with others.
Also best avoided while driving...

Old 09-23-2019, 11:16 AM

11,102 posts, read 7,168,155 times
Hmm. Religion vs. spirituality. Don't have the first, but have the second. Regardless, it exists on its own, its own level, etc. It has no connection with those outward activities. Why drag down something higher and otherworldly with the human, the temporary, and the mundane of everyday life? That would just cheapen it. But then again, many are drawn to religion (instead of spirituality), with it's heavy-handed human manipulation. The shiny brass-covered plastic is often more tempting than the genuine gold.

Old 09-24-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Hmm. Religion vs. spirituality. Don't have the first, but have the second. Regardless, it exists on its own, its own level, etc. It has no connection with those outward activities. Why drag down something higher and otherworldly with the human, the temporary, and the mundane of everyday life? That would just cheapen it. But then again, many are drawn to religion (instead of spirituality), with it's heavy-handed human manipulation. The shiny brass-covered plastic is often more tempting than the genuine gold.
I know many people who seem content to distinguish between them being spiritual and not religious, but I always cringe just a bit with the spiritual non-religious folks because where would religion be without spirituality? Religion is simply a bit better formalized and organized and ultimately born of spirituality before it became formalized and organized.

For me anyway, it's something like contributing to a cause but not wanting to be a part of the march...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality