Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2008, 12:25 PM

56 posts, read 103,012 times

Advertisements

Atheist soldier claims harassment - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/04/26/atheist.soldier.ap/index.html - broken link)

This is the crap we non belivers have to put up with. I had to put catholic on my dog tags when I was in the service because of the fear I would be like this guy. There are alot of athiest in the military but we have to hide it for fear of persacution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 01:24 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,357,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karrsquest View Post
Atheist soldier claims harassment - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/04/26/atheist.soldier.ap/index.html - broken link)

This is the crap we non belivers have to put up with. I had to put catholic on my dog tags when I was in the service because of the fear I would be like this guy. There are alot of athiest in the military but we have to hide it for fear of persacution.
I listed the religion as None when I was in the service and never had a problem, but it could have been due to the time period (1969 to 1973). My experience was always good. I never had any person of personnel reproach my religious choice or even try to change my feeling. It was much better than the outside world. It makes me think this instance was a situation of an individual rather than the service. That said it was not acceptable for any reason and his Commanding Officer should have put an end to it.

Old 04-26-2008, 03:23 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,456,811 times
i worked with plenty of atheists in the usmc that were very open about it. i never saw them suffer any for their beliefs. same with the wiccans, the muslims, the supposed 'satanist' (though he was kinda socially weird anyway), or any of the others.

Old 04-26-2008, 04:08 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,834,060 times
When I went into the Air Force in 1960 I put "none" in the religion box.

The guy who was making my dog tags said I had to put some religion there because if I got wounded the Chaplain needed to know what kind of prayer to say.

So I told him to put "Congegationalist" because my aunt was one and I went to church with her once.

But he couldn't spell it and neither could I, so we decided to put "Baptist" instead.

For my six years in the military I was a "Baptist".

Luckily, the Chaplain never had to pray for me.

Old 04-26-2008, 06:00 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
The religious focus of the military has changed over the years.
It is not unusual to have the ever-hateful Chick Publications placed all over by chaplains.
The evangelical movement has even hit the Air Force.
There are prayers before, during and after everything these days and soldiers do get harassed for being non-religious.
It keeps getting worse.

Remember, it was during the Bush administration that John ******** covered the breasts of the statue "Justice" and started meetings with evangelical prayer and anointment with crisco oil.

Last edited by chielgirl; 04-26-2008 at 06:13 PM..

Old 04-26-2008, 07:36 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:

I had "No Rel Pref" on mine. I went about three or four times while I was in service. Two of those times, I was invited by other people.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:43 PM

366 posts, read 540,729 times
When I was in the Marines I remember arguing with an atheist about the existence of God. Imagine. I was arguing with him

Old 04-26-2008, 09:02 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,834,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post

The religious focus of the military has changed over the years.

There are prayers before, during and after everything these days and soldiers do get harassed for being non-religious.
It keeps getting worse.
When I was in basic training at Lackland Air Force Base, they had a special morale raising night. They divided us into two groups, Catholics and Protestants. The Jews got to pick either one. I was in the Protestant group because my dog tags said Baptist.

Hundreds of Protestants from all over the base were there. We sang old fashioned religious songs about squashing grapes of wrath and leading in sheep.

Then we had entertainment. It was a hypnotist. He took a couple of black Protestant Airmen out of the audience and made one of them pick invisible strawberries on the stage and the other one chase invisible chickens up and down the aisles.

It was a great show and it really raised my spirits. I began the think that this religion stuff wasn't half bad.

A few years later after I was back from Vietnam and back in school, I heard that two Chaplains had been fragged by a black Staff Sergeant near Cam Rahn Air Base.

Only God knows.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:08 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,357,250 times
Quote:

This issue was on CBS Sunday Morning today. It sure looks bad; I think this need a great deal more attention from all sides. If the related story is true we look to be fighting a holy war in Iraqi, and this just feeds the radical Islamic feeling of hate against the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality