Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2020, 04:03 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Buddha did not have to endure anything remotely like what Christ did while retaining an undiminished maitri (indifference to the pain and suffering of this world with the love of all life). "Forgive them, Father, they know not what they do."
So in your thinking a person must or should endure what Christ did to attain a perfect enlightenment? Just trying to follow.
I have never heard this line of thought. Is this unique to you or do others say this, also?
Really just curious, it is new to me.
Personally, as some don't say 'God' because of conflicting connotations, I never say 'enlightenment'. Ha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2020, 04:10 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
your experiences confirm NOTHING except to you.
You're absolutely right; one's experiences confirm nothing except to the person who has had them. On the other hand...

"Experience is, for me, the highest authority. The touchstone of validity is my own experience. No other person's ideas, and none of my own ideas, are as authoritative as my experience. It is to experience that I must return again and again, to discover a closer approximation to truth as it is in the process of becoming in me. Neither the Bible nor the prophets -- neither Freud nor research -- neither the revelations of God nor man -- can take precedence over my own direct experience. My experience is not authoritative because it is infallible. It is the basis of authority because it can always be checked in new primary ways. In this way its frequent error or fallibility is always open to correction."

~ Carl Rogers ~ (Humanistic psychologist)

Old 05-23-2020, 04:18 PM

63,815 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
you were. you clearly are not now.
your experiences confirm NOTHING except to you.
And that is all to whom they need to confirm it.

Old 05-23-2020, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
You're absolutely right; one's experiences confirm nothing except to the person who has had them. On the other hand...

"Experience is, for me, the highest authority. The touchstone of validity is my own experience. No other person's ideas, and none of my own ideas, are as authoritative as my experience. It is to experience that I must return again and again, to discover a closer approximation to truth as it is in the process of becoming in me. Neither the Bible nor the prophets -- neither Freud nor research -- neither the revelations of God nor man -- can take precedence over my own direct experience. My experience is not authoritative because it is infallible. It is the basis of authority because it can always be checked in new primary ways. In this way its frequent error or fallibility is always open to correction."

~ Carl Rogers ~ (Humanistic psychologist)
Excellent cite. Katz!

Old 05-23-2020, 04:21 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Excellent cite. Katz!
I kind of thought you'd like it.

Old 05-23-2020, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
So in your thinking a person must or should endure what Christ did to attain a perfect enlightenment? Just trying to follow.
I have never heard this line of thought. Is this unique to you or do others say this, also?
Really just curious, it is new to me.
Personally, as some don't say 'God' because of conflicting connotations, I never say 'enlightenment'. Ha!
No, of course not! If one DOES retain a perfect love for all regardless of any consequences they endure from this existence, that would be perfect resonance with the God-consciousness I encountered and the one revealed and demonstrated unambiguously by Christ. I do not aspire to any such perfection nor do I think I would be capable of it. Fortunately, it is not remotely necessary. As the Beatles said, "All we need is love."

Old 05-23-2020, 07:21 PM

15,968 posts, read 7,032,343 times
Quote:
Do not presume to teach me Buddhism, Phet. I was a Theravada Buddhist. You cannot know there is no connection. Your antipathy toward Christianity and its corrupt "precepts and doctrines of men" taint your spirituality and is antithetical to your Buddhist aspirations, IMO. I made no assertions of superiority about any system. It is all syncretistic and we are all looking at the same Reality. The differences among our evolved cognitive constructs pale by comparison to their similarities suggesting to me a single source. My experiences confirm a single source.

Do you believe there are several perfect paths to attain self-realization, besides be connecting to god through Jesus?

Old 05-23-2020, 07:34 PM

15,968 posts, read 7,032,343 times
Quote:
No, of course not! If one DOES retain a perfect love for all regardless of any consequences they endure from this existence, that would be perfect resonance with the God-consciousness I encountered and the one revealed and demonstrated unambiguously by Christ. I do not aspire to any such perfection nor do I think I would be capable of it. Fortunately, it is not remotely necessary. As the Beatles said, "All we need is love."

Why do you think it is important for you to establish, through your own experience or revelation, that the only true way to god is through Christ, a human being in a mortal body?
Does your vision of perfect love embrace the idea that each will find his way to self-realization?

Old 05-23-2020, 07:35 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Do you believe there are several perfect paths to attain self-realization, besides be connecting to god through Jesus?
Of course. Take it from perhaps the greatest guru of our times.

"If you come to a fork in the road, take it."

- Yogi Berra

Old 05-23-2020, 10:30 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I kind of thought you'd like it.
I liked it, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality