Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2014, 03:43 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,085,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
I've always been glad that my hair is turning GRAY instead of turning LOOSE...

There is no male baldness on either side of my family and not even much thinning, though our hairlines do often recede at the corners of our foreheads. For these traits I am eternally grateful.
I was the odd sheep in the family. Only Male to ever have face fur and the only one to have a Bowling ball head. Most Males in my family Look like Charles Bronson ( Lietuva Lipkas-Lithuanian Tatar) I end up looking like -Yul Brynner but with face fur.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 03:45 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
I was the odd sheep in the family. Only Male to ever have face fur and the only one to have a Bowling ball head. Most Males in my family Look like Charles Bronson ( Lietuva Lipkas-Lithuanian Tatar) I end up looking like -Yul Brynner but with face fur.
Woodrow, I was just thinking that. Most Lithuanians have a full head of hair. At least all the Lithuanians in my family do. (We also have the Charles Bronson look-a-likes)

Old 07-01-2014, 03:46 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,397,293 times
Quote:
This is likely to be very difficult, for a number of reasons. The biggest reason is that Choctaw people in the South, be they full-blood or part-blood, didn't exactly "brag" about it because they'd rather not be identified as such. It could lead to midnight visits, "accidental" house- and barn-fires, etc. As a result, they commonly left the "Race" line on official documents blank, or they wrote in "white".
I can imagine. It has been quite an education for me, as a white woman, to experience life from the perspective of being married to a black man even in this day and age, and to realize just how much I had taken for granted prior to that. It was rather startling at first.

Quote:
The absolute-best place to start, if you have it, is the old family Bible. Other questions:

Do you know when the ancestor first arrived via slave-ship? This would help you define your search time-wise.

Do you know where in Louisiana? There are several Choctaw groups that are still there.

Although it would be great if we could trace the lineage, I've always assumed it would be very difficult, if not impossible. But I always like to direct her to whatever resources I come across that might offer her a bit of insight into Choctaw history and culture.

I do not know when my husband's ancestors were first brought to the States, no. As far as location, to the best of my knowledge, his family has been mainly located in the area around Baton Rouge.

Quote:

===================================

I'm not an enrolled member myself, because the paper-trail simply doesn't exist. I know by means of family oral histories, and by carefully examining the face of that fellow I shave in the mirror each morning. You see, he looks exactly like this:

Chief Dukes was Principal Chief of the Oklahoma Choctaw in the early 1900's. Were it not for the extensive time gap we could easily be mistaken for twins.
Very cool.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:56 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,512,801 times
We all have our -- pardon the term -- crosses to bear.

Though I still have plenty of hair, one of my "crosses" is an extraordinarily large head. Because of my square-headed German ancestors, I require a size 8 hat.

Just try finding one of those at a local "hat store", or even at most sporting goods stores. The "one-size-fits-most" hats will fit up to about size 7.5, which sits atop my head like a clown-hat. A size "XL" hat is no better -- another clown-hat -- because a size 8 equates to a "Size XXL-and-a-bit".

I have noted, of late, that things are getting better. I just bought a gorgeous University of Alabama fitted baseball cap that I can (and do) wear with pride. It made a sizable dent in my pocketbook, but what-the-hay...

Last edited by Nighteyes; 07-01-2014 at 04:13 PM..

Old 07-01-2014, 04:03 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,085,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Woodrow, I was just thinking that. Most Lithuanians have a full head of hair. At least all the Lithuanians in my family do. (We also have the Charles Bronson look-a-likes)
Yes the majority do have a full head of hair. Especially the Lipkas. The lipkas usually lack any facial hair depending on the percentage of their ancestors were from the "Golden Horde"

Not all Lithuanians are Lipkas, we are a small minority. Many were executed or exiled during the "Crusades of the North" those that accepted Catholicism got to stay. My family was Catholic except for my Great grandmother who was Jewish.

Charles Bronson is an excellent example of a Lipkas with a high percentage of "golden Horde" I have no idea how I ended up with a bowling ball head

Old 07-01-2014, 04:04 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
We all have our -- pardon the term -- crosses to bear.

Though I still have plenty of hair, one of my "crosses" is an extraordinarily large head, a trait inherited from my square-headed German ancestors.

I require a size 8 hat. Now, try finding one of those at a local "hat store", or even at most sporting goods stores. The "one-size-fits-most" hats will fit up to about size 7.5. A size 7.5 hat sits atop my head like a clown-hat...
I feel better.

My chapeaus have to be 7 3/4 and my SO always teases about my big head (in comparison to my brain size).

Old 07-01-2014, 04:16 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,512,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I feel better.

My chapeaus have to be 7 3/4 and my SO always teases about my big head (in comparison to my brain size).

Consider yourself lucky, my friend!

[And tell your SO that your brain just isn't as "wrinkled" as others -- therefore it requires more space than its wrinkled compatriots...]

Old 07-01-2014, 05:09 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,547,279 times
I used to work with a guy who said his hair was all gray by the age of 16. He had no problem buying beer.

Old 07-01-2014, 05:50 PM

764 posts, read 1,422,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
We use the Hijr Calender. It is 11 days shorter than the Gregorian Calender. Each Islamic Month starts 11 days sooner each year. Next year Ramadan will begin on June 17, Year after that it will begin on June 6 etc.
Ok, that makes sense. I thought I remember Ramadan being in September or something in years past. I didn't realize it changes year to year.

Please, add my well wishes too - a little late but genuine.

Old 07-01-2014, 05:53 PM

764 posts, read 1,422,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyDebra View Post
In my heart and soul I am a Pagan because Nature is my spiritual sanctity. I believe if we all lived with an appreciation and respect for the animals and natural beauty that surrounds us, there would be more peace and serenity in the world.
That is the sacred circle of light that encompasses me. When in a forest, surrounded by trees, my soul is at rest.
Welcome BettyDebra! I feel much the same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality