Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2014, 08:42 PM

491 posts, read 373,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Perhaps - but you'll have to pardon me for being suspicious of his motives.

Nah, you don't have to pardon me at all. I'm still suspicious.
Well, that is understandable since I am relatively new here.

However I walked into a thread that purports to be about peace and understanding and see vitriol being spewed against someone.

No motives except curiosity about why their was such a disconnect between what I expected in the thread and what I saw.

I am sorry if I stepped on any toes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 08:47 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,090,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensa130 View Post

However I walked into a thread that purports to be about peace and understanding and see vitriol being spewed against someone.

No motives except curiosity about why their was such a disconnect between what I expected in the thread and what I saw.
We are humans.

Ptsum and several others are Viet-Nam vets. there are sore spots that sometimes get touched.

Although we all try to keep anger outside sometimes we slip regarding anger about things outside the Circle.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:00 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,988,837 times
Had I thought there would be a problem I would not have shared the quotes. However, when one sits in a council the first thing we must do is share knowledge. One cannot consider an issue unless one is aware of it. To have a gut reaction to extreme criticism and share that reaction with friends and family is only natural. In the circle we can share to the depths of our soul. It is when that sharing becomes argumentative that a problem arises. If I were a supporter of Nugent and Ptsum started arguing with me about the concert cancellations, THEN it would be out of place in the circle. But if I expressed admiration for him and Ptsum expressed disgust and we shared our feelings, then it certainly DOES belong in the circle. Discussion and sharing is what it is all about. There should be no topic we cannot share and discuss. However the rancor found in other forums or threads has no place here which is why we have so many posts and this thread is several years old. As it happens that both Ptsum and I are Tsa La Ghi we both have much the same reaction to the hate spewed by people such as that. Frankly I think that no one here is immature enough to argue here. We all argue. We take it to other threads and forums to do so, though.

Quite honestly I prefer being able to express such feelings without risk of offending someone else. Just because we come here with respect and consideration and peace does not mean we come here as Pollyanna's. We live in a troublesome world. My partner is Dutch. She has been inundated with reports from Holland concerning the downing of the airliner over the Ukraine. Her brother, who lives in Switzerland, spends several weeks a month in Kiev as a commodity broker. She is worried sick that he will be caught up in the war there. The fighting in Gaza has all the earmarks of the beginning of WWIII. The children fleeing across the southern border of this country has created a conflict that may not be stoppable. We have an out of touch with reality Governor sending troops to the border to act like police to the tune of millions of dollars a day that he expects the rest of us to pay. We live in a troublesome world. We should be able to speak of our concerns, without animosity, without attacking, without fear of disrespect from each other.

Quote:
but why do so within the sacred circle?
Why not? We are men and women of experience, strength, courage, and ever increasing knowledge and hopefully wisdom. Are we to only talk of flowers and poetry? Or can we have the courage to hear peoples reactions and shared knowledge with respect.......agree, disagree is irrelevant........knowing I can come share without fear is what brings me back.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:02 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,897,673 times
Quote:

The reason for the "disconnect" is that people who preach about peace and understanding are the first ones to express vitriol against those who disagree with them.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:10 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,199,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
The reason for the "disconnect" is that people who preach about peace and understanding are the first ones to express vitriol against those who disagree with them.
A Teddy acoloyte, eh?

Old 07-27-2014, 09:24 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,326,494 times
Quote:

I am sorry if I stepped on any toes.
Ahh, thank you for your understanding. Your being so magnanimous about my words says a lot of good things about your character - to me anyway. I've lived a life that has bred suspicion in the relatively short span of time I've been alive. I'm almost always happy to be wrong.

Welcome, then, to the circle.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:27 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,547,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Had I thought there would be a problem I would not have shared the quotes. However, when one sits in a council the first thing we must do is share knowledge. One cannot consider an issue unless one is aware of it. ...
Awesome post. Humbly respecting you. Thank you, GoodPasture.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:31 PM

491 posts, read 373,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Welcome, then, to the circle.
Thank you.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:35 PM

63,822 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
We are humans.
Ptsum and several others are Viet-Nam vets. there are sore spots that sometimes get touched.
Although we all try to keep anger outside sometimes we slip regarding anger about things outside the Circle.
Amen, brother. Viet Nam is still an open wound for many of us as we have discussed before. Some things are hard to put behind us.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:41 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,194,204 times
Quote:
Perhaps not, but why do so within the sacred circle?
Very simply: because that's what vets do. Did you serve in country? As the wife and sister of men who did multiple tours I can tell you that a place like the Circle is exactly the place where they should share.

They sometime speak hard truths. And speaking those truths, in a place like the Circle which has several Vietnam vets, is a place for them to share. And, for those of us who didn't serve, to.....listen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality