Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2014, 10:08 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,987,416 times

Advertisements

This is really funny.......at least I think so:

What kind of Asian are you? - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 08:39 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,926,004 times
Well..... I laughed.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:10 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,660,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Well..... I laughed.

yeah....me too....

Old 08-05-2014, 12:25 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
I sort-of laughed. I have a number of long-time friends who are Asian women so I've seen that happen IRL. Usually, when the person walks away, they turn to me and say, "So blonde lady. You from Sweden?" and they laugh.

Old 08-05-2014, 02:02 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,512,801 times
I think she won that little exchange...

Old 08-05-2014, 06:42 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,085,116 times
I laughed also. But like others that posted, I have seen very similar happen in real life.

I love it when it happens.

I have a Black friend that was born and Raised in Germany. Lived most of his life there. I love the look on peoples faces when they hear him speaking with his very strong German accent.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:55 PM

When Annemieke's (my partner) cousin was visiting I took him to the Taos Pueblo. Amazingly he was quite good talking with the Tewa. No patronizing, no touristy Moderator cut: deleted I've seen people from New England far more patronizing on the Pueblos. And why is it when tourists start to talk to an ndn they speak both louder and slower.......

Last edited by june 7th; 08-06-2014 at 07:50 AM.. Reason: Inappropriate language

Old 08-05-2014, 07:11 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
When Annemieke's (my partner) cousin was visiting I took him to the Taos Pueblo. Amazingly he was quite good talking with the Tewa. No patronizing, no touristy ****. I've seen people from New England far more patronizing on the Pueblos. And why is it when tourists start to talk to an ndn they speak both louder and slower.......
I have a story for you:

In the 90's my Dad and I were driving from L.A. to the East Coast together. We stopped in Monument Valley and went to the visitor's center. There were bus loads of German tourists getting ready to take the Navajo-led "John Wayne" buck-board tour on the valley floor. I'd gone inside and when I came out my Dad was sitting on a split rail fence talking to a Navajo. (He was the kind of guy who would strike up a conversation with anyone who looked interesting.) They were having a good talk and doing a lot of laughing. Groups of Germans were gathered around taking their picture and getting up the nerve to talk to a real, live ndn themselves.

I walked over and my Dad said, "This is my daughter. She must be done in the gift shop." The guy laughed and said, "Well time to take 'em down and feed 'em beans and franks. Have a good trip!" As we were walking away I asked my dad what they were talking about. My dad said, "He's from Norwalk." (A town in Southern California.) "I know his cousin."

Last edited by DewDropInn; 08-05-2014 at 07:53 PM..

Old 08-05-2014, 07:11 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,085,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
SNIP............

And why is it when tourists start to talk to an ndn they speak both louder and slower.......
Didn't you know that being non-WASP makes a person hard of hearing. You also have to speak very slowly also, as ndn are very child-like in understanding. It is also essential to use a lot of hand gestures because ndn speak in sign language

Must not forget to say "How" a few times and try to fit "Kemo Sabe" into the conversation.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
............Must not forget to say "How" a few times and try to fit "Kemo Sabe" into the conversation.
Reminds me............

Quote:
Granpa said the Indian held his palm up to show “peace,” that he held no weapon. This was logical to Granpa but seemed funny as hell to everybody else. Granpa said the white man meant the same thing by shaking hands, except his words was so crooked, he had to try to shake a weapon out of the sleeve of the feller who claimed he was a friend. Granpa was not given much to handshaking, as he said he didn’t like for a man to try to shake something out of his sleeve after he had presented himself as a friend. It was total distrustful of a man’s word. Which is reasonable.

As to folks saying, “How!” and then laughing when they see an Indian, Granpa said it all come about over a couple of hundred years. He said every time the Indian met a white man, the white man commenced to ask him: how are you feeling, or how are your people, or how are you getting along, or how is the game where you come from, and so on. He said the Indian come to believe that the white man’s favorite subject was how; and so, being polite, when he met the white man, he figured he would just say how, and then let the son of a ***** talk about whichever how he wanted to. Granpa said people laughing at that was laughing at an Indian who was trying to be courteous and considerate.

Carter, Forrest (2011-08-25). The Education of Little Tree (Kindle Locations 2127-2139). University of New Mexico Press. Kindle Edition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality