Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2015, 02:12 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,656,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
Ptsum,
I have a question.

How many Elders are in the Council?

24?
generally there are only 12 Councilmembers and 4 members to the Elder Counsel.but that depends on which branch of the Cherokee Nation you're talking about
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 11:50 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,980,527 times
Found this elsewhere...............

Quote:
One day I had lunch with some old friends. Jim, a short, balding golfer type, about 85-years old, came along with them; all in all, it was a pleasant bunch. When the menus were presented, my friends and I ordered salads, sandwiches, and soups, except for Jim who said, "A large piece of home-made apple pie, heated please."

I wasn't sure my ears heard him right, and the others were aghast, When Jim continued, completely unabashed...."along with two large scoops of vanilla ice cream." We tried to act quite nonchalant, as if people did this all the time, but when our orders were brought out, I didn't enjoy eating mine. I couldn't take my eyes off of Jim as I watched him savoring each bite of his pie a-la-mode. The other guys just grinned in disbelief as they silently ate their lunches.

The next time I went out to eat, I called Jim and invited him to join me. I lunched on a white meat tuna sandwich, while he ordered a chocolate parfait. Since I was chuckling, he wanted to know if he amused me. I answered, "Yes, you certainly do, but you also confuse me. How come you always order such rich desserts, while I feel like I must be sensible in my food choices?"

He laughed and said "I'm tasting all that is possible for me to taste. I try to eat the food I need and do the things I should in order to stay healthy, but life's too short, my friend. I hate missing out on something good. This year I realized how old I was. (He grinned) I've never been this old before, so, while I'm still here, I've decided it's time to try all those things that, for years, I've been ignoring."

He continued, "I haven't smelled all the flowers yet. There are too many trout streams I haven't fished. There's more fudge sundaes to wolf down and kites to be flown overhead. "There are too many golf courses I haven't played. I've not laughed at all the jokes. I've missed a lot of sporting events and potato chips and cokes.

"I want to wade again in water and feel ocean spray on my face. I want to sit in a country church once more and thank God for His grace. "I want peanut butter every day spread on my morning toast. I want un-timed long distance calls to the one I love the most. "I haven't cried at all the movies yet, or walked in the morning rain. I need to feel wind on my face. I want to be in love again. "So, if I choose to have dessert, instead of having dinner, then should I die before night fall, I'd say I died a winner, because I missed out on nothing. I filled my heart's desire. I had that final piece of pie before my life expired." With that, I called the waitress over.. "I've changed my mind, " I said. "I want what he's having, only add some more whipped cream!"

Be mindful that happiness isn't based on possessions, power, or prestige, but on relationships with people we like, respect, and enjoy spending time with. Remember that while money talks, ICE CREAM SINGS!

Old 04-26-2015, 01:53 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,656,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
Found this elsewhere...............

here is a man who finally found a way to enjoy life to its fullest...

Old 04-26-2015, 02:57 PM

19,990 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
here is a man who finally found a way to enjoy life to its fullest...
Yes ... well, his other secret is that it matters less and less the older you get. Much of the wisdom of old age is in simply not giving a horse patootie anymore what other people, including your doctor, think.

I am a borderline Type 2 diabetic but increasingly I eat what I want for exactly the reasons delineated in that story. I can, in theory, extend my life by a few years ... but what kind of a life would it be, really? I suppose if body parts start falling off I might modify that calculus; it's always a dance. But right now, a hazelnut latte and sour cream donut in the morning make me happy. And I'll take happy where I can get it.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:07 PM

63,799 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Yes ... well, his other secret is that it matters less and less the older you get. Much of the wisdom of old age is in simply not giving a horse patootie anymore what other people, including your doctor, think.
I am a borderline Type 2 diabetic but increasingly I eat what I want for exactly the reasons delineated in that story. I can, in theory, extend my life by a few years ... but what kind of a life would it be, really? I suppose if body parts start falling off I might modify that calculus; it's always a dance. But right now, a hazelnut latte and sour cream donut in the morning make me happy. And I'll take happy where I can get it.
I resonate with this for some reason, mordant!

Old 04-26-2015, 08:30 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
But right now, a hazelnut latte and sour cream donut in the morning make me happy. And I'll take happy where I can get it.
Mmmmmm....Donuts. Feel free to pass the box around.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:51 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,980,527 times
Quote:
i wanna go where the blind can see
i wanna go where the lame will walk
i wanna see the sick ones clean
where the deaf can hear and the silent talk

where are you going, to a ghostdance in the snow?
where are all your warriors, i see they're finally
coming home

i wanna go where the dead are raised
where the mountain lion lays down with the lamb
i wanna stand where god is praised
i wanna ride across the plains
to the promised land

where i'm going don't need to raise your voice
no starvation we'll have plenty to eat
no guns no wars, no hateful noise
just a victory dance, we'll never taste defeat
where there's nothin' done or said
that can't be forgiven
where every step you take
is on sacred ground

walk away from death
into the land of the living
where all the lost tribes
are finally found
Songwriter: Miller, Bill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vdg2sVB0XU8

Old 04-26-2015, 09:02 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,073,501 times
Just sitting here enjoying being in a place where one has no need to defend his beliefs or challenge the beliefs of another.
The coffee cup does not concern itself about who drinks from it. The campfire warms all equally.

We can all look up and see the stars with no need to tell each
other what we see.

Tranquility is nice

Old 04-27-2015, 09:21 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Just sitting here enjoying being in a place where one has no need to defend his beliefs or challenge the beliefs of another.
The coffee cup does not concern itself about who drinks from it. The campfire warms all equally.

We can all look up and see the stars with no need to tell each
other what we see.

Tranquility is nice
I'd like to refill that cup, my friend. As a gesture of support for how you've handled a few challenges that have come your way.

Solidarnosc.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:34 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,806,017 times
We have a few of these around the house. You rub them in your hand and over time they become translucent. They are called Apache tears. Obsidian I believe.

Last edited by pinacled; 04-28-2015 at 09:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality