Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2008, 01:03 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,385,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
I agree that there are some flaws with that illustration, but does it really matter where the ant got the idea? The fact of the matter is, there was a Human walking around.
It matters very much to me. That's why I read this forum, because I am curious about why people believe in the things that they do. The source of knowledge is what I examine and what I need to criticize.

Of course we all, as humans, know that humans exist. But only some of us "know" that God exists. You are saying that the existence of God is as obvious to you as the existence of humans is. For me, it's not so clear...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
God....that one ant was the Prophet.

Wait for the shoe to drop, then they'll know.
So then, no analogy is needed.
If all that can be said is that God exists because God says so (to some people) and that everybody will believe in God after death...well, that's already been said explicitly. Still makes no sense to me.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:35 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,273,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
It matters very much to me. That's why I read this forum, because I am curious about why people believe in the things that they do. The source of knowledge is what I examine and what I need to criticize.
b. frank, I'm not sure what to say other than what has already been said on this board..

But what I believe is this: What we see with our eyes (natural) will always tend to take precedence over what we hear with our ears (spiritual). And yet, what we "hear" may be (I believe it is) more important than what we "see". And both are very real.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:30 PM

62 posts, read 187,215 times
Open the eyes of your heart, read the bible, give it a chance. If it's your time, God will do the rest. IF you have read the bilble and still feel there is no God, then your just not ready. I wasn't sure for a long time, it wasn't till I really open my heart that I got it. God is real whether you believe it or not. When judgment comes, you don't want to be on the wrong side. Just my thoughts. With that said and .55 you can get a can of coke.

In Christ,

Old 05-08-2008, 02:33 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,462,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
How can you begin to know who is talking? You don't believe, so you don't have ears that hear. He is a still small voice, one of inner guidance, you must tune into His channel, then you can hear what He has to say.

God is much more than how we interpret His word. The interpretation is always limited by the one who is interpretting, the errors are on man.

godspeed,

freedom

Great example of self-delusion. Mumbo-jumbo galore!

Old 05-08-2008, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
b. frank, I'm not sure what to say other than what has already been said on this board..
Yeah, I know. And I am not really asking you to - it's just that I get excited when people use analogies and fables to illuminate things. They can be illuminating because they reveal things that may be missed when looking at reality.

In your fable, the ants in the anthill are completely similar to humans on Earth in regards to what they can know - so it is really nothing but a direct comparison. And both of our conclusions about it come out exactly the same as our conclusions about reality.

I don't mean to tear apart your other post, but it is a useless parable.

Old 05-08-2008, 03:20 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,273,042 times
Quote:
I don't mean to tear apart your other post, but it is a useless parable.
Well, at least it got 5 replies, 4 of which were yours!

Anyway, I agree.. it was rather incomplete and doesn't completely apply to all aspects of life (altho I did realize this when I wrote it). Thanks for your constructive criticism.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:04 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,789,218 times
Quote:
Yeah, I know. And I am not really asking you to - it's just that I get excited when people use analogies and fables to illuminate things. They can be illuminating because they reveal things that may be missed when looking at reality.

In your fable, the ants in the anthill are completely similar to humans on Earth in regards to what they can know - so it is really nothing but a direct comparison. And both of our conclusions about it come out exactly the same as our conclusions about reality.
b. frank,

This is one of those NON-responses...meaning that it has no answers, just my thoughts. Sometimes I just can't keep my mouth shut. (This would be where my husband says, "sometimes?".)

I want to be able to help you, but like everyone else, I don't know how. There are no words, only heartfelt emotions. So many, myself included, have explained faith (the knowing that there is a God) like knowing that you are in love or loved. There is no real scientific proof of love. It's just a feeling that you have in your heart. There are "love" words that we speak, we buy cards for our loved ones that express how we feel, and I guess that you could say that the proof is in the pudding. I tell my husband that he should know that I love him because every day when he comes home, I am still here. But you can't put love on a scale. It can't be measured. So how do we "know" that it is true? We feel, and we trust.

I don't know why God chooses to reveal Himself to some, but not all. Or at least to those who truly seek Him. Maybe that's the key... those that truly seek Him. I don't know what is in your heart or what your motive is for wanting to find God. I can tell you that each night I pray for my CD family. I pray that God reveal Himself to those who seek Him.

It is a wonderful peace to know that my Father exists. Are you a parent? The best anology that I can give is that it is like the love of a parent for their child. And the best part of that is that WE are the children. How wonderful it is to know that know matter what happens, no matter how many times I fall down, my Father will be there with open arms waiting to love me.

I wish you well b. frank. You will continue to be in my prayers.

<>< weather...

Old 05-08-2008, 06:12 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junos View Post
Open the eyes of your heart, read the bible, give it a chance. If it's your time, God will do the rest. IF you have read the bilble and still feel there is no God, then your just not ready. I wasn't sure for a long time, it wasn't till I really open my heart that I got it. God is real whether you believe it or not. When judgment comes, you don't want to be on the wrong side. Just my thoughts. With that said and .55 you can get a can of coke.

In Christ,
I just love christian expressions, they're so ridiculously absurd!
My heart doesn't have any eyes, my eyes are in my head. Where are your eyes?
Opening my heart would mean to cut thru my chest, pry the ribs apart, and then open the heart. This must be awfully painful, especially for a do-it-yourself project. If my heart needs to be opened I'd rather leave this to a qualified heart surgeon.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:18 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
b. frank,

This is one of those NON-responses...meaning that it has no answers, just my thoughts. Sometimes I just can't keep my mouth shut. (This would be where my husband says, "sometimes?".)

I want to be able to help you, but like everyone else, I don't know how. There are no words, only heartfelt emotions. So many, myself included, have explained faith (the knowing that there is a God) like knowing that you are in love or loved. There is no real scientific proof of love. It's just a feeling that you have in your heart. There are "love" words that we speak, we buy cards for our loved ones that express how we feel, and I guess that you could say that the proof is in the pudding. I tell my husband that he should know that I love him because every day when he comes home, I am still here. But you can't put love on a scale. It can't be measured. So how do we "know" that it is true? We feel, and we trust.

I don't know why God chooses to reveal Himself to some, but not all. Or at least to those who truly seek Him. Maybe that's the key... those that truly seek Him. I don't know what is in your heart or what your motive is for wanting to find God. I can tell you that each night I pray for my CD family. I pray that God reveal Himself to those who seek Him.

It is a wonderful peace to know that my Father exists. Are you a parent? The best anology that I can give is that it is like the love of a parent for their child. And the best part of that is that WE are the children. How wonderful it is to know that know matter what happens, no matter how many times I fall down, my Father will be there with open arms waiting to love me.

I wish you well b. frank. You will continue to be in my prayers.

<>< weather...
Love is wonderful, anyone who has experienced love would know that.
But love is a feeling, an emotion, a condition, not an object. Love has no dimensions, no height, width, nor weight. Therefore love cannot be measured. Love does not occupy space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality