Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 07:35 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,451,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
Obviously, folks can't "prove" there is a God. Conversely, neither can it be proven that there is no God, (or Gods, plural, for that matter). Each person has to come to their own conclusion. Personally, I believe in a Creator, but I won't slam someone who doesn't. My upbringing, and more importantly, my life experiences, are quite different from anyone else's, and I have no idea why someone else may be an atheist. They may have every good reason in the world, to think as they do. I respect the fact, that because of those life experiences, they have come to the conclusion that there is no God, and it is not my place to judge them. However, by the same token, I would also ask that that same respect be given to me. I won't beat someone else over the head for not believing in a God, so kindly do me the same courtesy. Put down the club, and back away, ever so slowly...
This is the most sensible and civil reply I've read yet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 08:31 AM

33,542 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipm8 View Post
This is the most sensible and civil reply I've read yet!
I agree with you shipm8....The world would be a far better place if we could all respect each other's views providing that those views do no harm.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:32 AM

22,182 posts, read 19,221,727 times
it is only about proving it to ourselves, never to another person
the path to god is through the heart, not the head

the path to anything worthwhile or meaningful in our life is through our own personal experience, our feelings, what we learn by living it....not talking about it, not reading about it, not arguing about it, not discussing it

talking about music never captures or conveys the experience of hearing music for yourself, and feeling the feelings you feel when you are affected by music in your life

the path to anything, for that matter, that brings us deep joy, love, happiness, and freedom is through the heart, never the head

Old 04-30-2008, 08:37 AM

22,182 posts, read 19,221,727 times
it is the difference between hearing other people talk about love, and the feeling of being in love yourself....which is more satisfying? which is the true authentic experience?

Just because a person has never experienced love does not make those who have experienced love wrong or crazy or "imagining things." Love is as intangible as god (actually love is god) how do you prove love exists? How do you know love exists in your life? Because you feel it! Because you experience it!

And it is utterly pointless to try to prove it to anyone! It's like trying to prove to someone why the beauty of a sunset brings you to tears.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 04-30-2008 at 08:45 AM..

Old 04-30-2008, 08:44 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,440,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Prove there is a god, but no bible quotes, please. You would have to prove the bible is truth first, and no one has been able to do that.

I have not ever met one person who could prove there was a god, but they insist there is one.
We cannot prove there is a God, We cannot prove there is not a God. I am assuming that you want some type of physical proof.

The same is for evolution. You cannot prove it or disprove it that is why the theory keeps getting used.

Each one of us has to begin with axioms in order to prove something. These axioms are initial truths which are not questioned. Someone might begin with an axiom or presupposition that "God exists" or "There is no God". The results of the first axiom is that one might believe that the Bible is true and the things explaned within it are true which means that we will be accountable for our actions one day. For the seccond axiom of "There is no God" the person will throw out the bible and hold to some type of evolutionary belief system that all things have a matterial source. All other belief systems fall somewhere between these two spectrums.

So, your reasoning in this post is faulty because you do not understand axioms or presuppositions. We all have them and need them in order to prove things even to ourselves. I have had experiences of the supernatural, I can tell you what happened but then you will have to determine whether these events are proof of the supernatural. Most witness in a court of law get screened to determine if their testimony is valid. If they are lucid and appear to be telling the truth their testimony can be believed as truth. So, you might believe me or not. The bible is an account of many peoples testimonies of the supernatural. The question is do we believe their account. Is their accounts reasonable?

The same can be had for those who do not believe in God and hold to a humanistic matterialism or some evolutionary based belief. How can they prove their belief system without using the writtings of Darwin or Hawkings or Gould or whoever and base their proof on some physical evidence alone. Evolutionist have no smoking gun. All evidence is interpreted!

Christians or Creationist just interpret the evidence differently than evolutionist. But the evidence is always interpretted with our axioms. So that is why proof against evolution will not sway the evolutionist, because they will not change their axioms. The same can be said for those who believe in God we cannot change our axioms and everything is viewed using them.

So, no we cannot prove God without using our testimonies or the Bible. It is written that "they over came with the blood of the lamb and the word of their testimony".

Old 04-30-2008, 08:57 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,788,904 times
Quote:
Prove there is a god, but no bible quotes, please. You would have to prove the bible is truth first, and no one has been able to do that.

I have not ever met one person who could prove there was a god, but they insist there is one.
nebulous1,
Do you seek to find or just to discredit?
<>< weather...

Old 04-30-2008, 09:08 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
As you requested, Nebulous, I have no bible quote..But I do have a blue quote and I repeat it..."Believing in God requires that your desire is greater than your denial"..If ones desire is strong enough he will find God and the faith he also did not understand..

Old 04-30-2008, 09:35 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,788,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
I do have a blue quote and I repeat it..."Believing in God requires that your desire is greater than your denial"..If ones desire is strong enough he will find God and the faith he also did not understand..

I just love blue quotes.

<>< weather...

Old 04-30-2008, 10:09 AM

131 posts, read 312,843 times
I will post the same reply i have just done for the thread prove there is no god... there is no definate evidence for or agaisnt the exsistance of god...i thort the whole world had established this allready

Old 04-30-2008, 10:19 AM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Quote:
Since there is no evidence of any god or gods...those who claim there is one should have proof.
Why are the Greek, Roman, Egyptian, and other gods thrown out as myths but only a few religions are left all claiming to have the one true god.

The things you speak of are properties or attributes. They are immaterial. People say this alleged God is a being.
And since there is no evidence to prove there isn't a God, those who disbelieve should have prove, but none of us do.
The reason the other gods are thought of as myths is because the Bible says there is only ONE God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality