Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2020, 09:23 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,190,517 times

Advertisements

I've come to better understand people's positions, both believers and non.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2020, 09:44 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
I've become more disillusioned. I previously believed that despite my disagreement with others' religious beliefs, their intentions were at heart good ones. I've come to learn how much darkness and unkindness toward other humans is hidden behind religious beliefs. I always knew this existed, of course, but only here did I learn the true extent of it. Volunteering as a moderator has really hammered that home.

ETA: Realized I was only focusing on the negative side. On the other hand, I've discovered that there are some truly interesting people with heart out there, and it's not tied to any one religion or the absence of one.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 11-23-2020 at 10:21 AM..

Old 11-23-2020, 10:20 AM

10,534 posts, read 6,167,855 times
Default Influential posts and posters

Thanks for all the responses so far.

I thought at this point it might be a good idea to share a few exchanges and people in general on here that were influential in helping me see into the minds of others.
I've been extremely wary in the past of listing people like this for fear of offending those I might not mention. This is by no means an exhaustive list. There are many people who have had an influence. These are a just a few of the most prominent examples:

WoodrowLI
Woodrow for those that are unfamiliar was a Muslim and a moderator on here. He passed a few years ago.
He made quite an impact on me. Still to this day I don't understand much about the Islamic faith. But Woodrow had more patience than anybody I think I have ever come across.
People would come to the forum to ask questions about Islam and he would patiently go to great lengths and in great detail answer peoples questions. He never once got annoyed or frustrated or angry with anyone, no matter how objectionable people could be sometimes. He was just the kindest soul. He also had great respect for other religions and cultures. His wife was native American Indian I believe, which to me was the oddest combination. He was a great example of a human being that showed me that Islam is a religion of peace, or at least it was through Woodrow's eyes.

Katzpur
Katzpur is a Mormon. She is another poster with endless patience.
I remember she once said something to the effect of this (paraphrasing - I'm not using her words but my memory of what she said)
"People always comment what great people Mormons are, despite their religion.
People don't seem to recognise or acknowledge that we are great people because of our religion'.

Wow, that one really struck home with me. That really made me see Mormonism in a new light. It's such a simple concept (and I know it seems obvious, but it wasn't obvious to me) but it made me recognise that we shouldn't all be so judgemental of other peoples beliefs and faiths.
If it enhances people lives, who are we to judge?

Mordant.
Mordant doesn't post much on here these days.
He is one of the few people who has lived two entirely different lives from a faith perspective. He was raised and spent most of his life as a really devout Christian. Hook, line and sinker, he genuinely believed it all and lived it all. At some point along the line, he became an atheist.
He's one of the few people that was able to explain 'faith' from two entirely different viewpoints, having experienced both and from opposite ends, he had a really unique perspective.
I'm a person who always found 'faith' a great mystery. He was able to explain it to me from the viewpoint of an atheist, like a window into a world I would never experience but at least understand.

That's all I have time for today.
I may come back and add a few others later.
Sorry I haven't had time to respond to individual posts.

Last edited by Cruithne; 11-23-2020 at 10:58 AM..

Old 11-23-2020, 10:43 AM

50,831 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post

I thought at this point it might be a good idea to share a few exchanges and people in general on here that were influential in helping me see into the minds of others.
I've been extremely wary in the past of listing people like this for fear of offending those I might not mention. This is by no means an exhaustive list. There are many people who have had an influence. These are a just a few of the most prominent examples:

Katzpur
I remember she once said something to the effect of this (paraphrasing - I'm not using her words but my memory of what she said)
People don't seem to recognise or acknowledge that we are great people because of our religion'.

Wow, that one really struck home with me. That really made me see Mormonism in a new light. It's such a simple concept (and I know it seems obvious, but it wasn't obvious to me) but it made me recognise that was shouldn't all be so judgemental of other peoples beliefs and faiths.

I very much agree with you about Katzpur. I've had a bit of an interest (as an observer) in Mormonism because I grew up in the town where Mormonism was born. Katzpur's posts often inspire.

Old 11-23-2020, 02:33 PM

15,971 posts, read 7,036,148 times
Quote:

WoodrowLI
Woodrow for those that are unfamiliar was a Muslim and a moderator on here. He passed a few years ago.
He made quite an impact on me. Still to this day I don't understand much about the Islamic faith. But Woodrow had more patience than anybody I think I have ever come across.
People would come to the forum to ask questions about Islam and he would patiently go to great lengths and in great detail answer peoples questions. He never once got annoyed or frustrated or angry with anyone, no matter how objectionable people could be sometimes. He was just the kindest soul. He also had great respect for other religions and cultures. His wife was native American Indian I believe, which to me was the oddest combination. He was a great example of a human being that showed me that Islam is a religion of peace, or at least it was through Woodrow's eyes.

Katzpur

Wow, that one really struck home with me. That really made me see Mormonism in a new light. It's such a simple concept (and I know it seems obvious, but it wasn't obvious to me) but it made me recognise that we shouldn't all be so judgemental of other peoples beliefs and faiths.

Mordant.
He is one of the few people who has lived two entirely different lives from a faith perspective. He was raised and spent most of his life as a really devout Christian. Hook, line and sinker, he genuinely believed it all and lived it all. At some point along the line, he became an atheist.
He's one of the few people that was able to explain 'faith' from two entirely different viewpoints, having experienced both and from opposite ends, he had a really unique perspective.
I'm a person who always found 'faith' a great mystery. He was able to explain it to me from the viewpoint of an atheist, like a window into a world I would never experience but at least understand.

Thank you, i enjoyed reading that.

Old 11-23-2020, 02:42 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:

WoodrowLI
I agree with you about Woodrow, RIP. I had a very negative and mistaken view of Islam based on the actions of the fanatics wreaking havoc through terrorism. Woodrow corrected my understanding of true Islam. He even revealed that what I considered my own view of death as rebirth is actually fundamental to Islam. They view death as a birth, a beginning not an end, which is why they do not fear it. Unfortunately, some evil-minded Imams and whatnot exploit this to create "suicide bombers" as tools for their political ambitions.

Old 11-23-2020, 02:59 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:

WoodrowLI

Katzpur

Mordant.

I agree with that. I can say I've also learned a heck of a lot from Harry Diogenes. Very smart guy.

Old 11-23-2020, 03:18 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I agree with that. I can say I've also learned a heck of a lot from Harry Diogenes. Very smart guy.
Since you BOTH share the same false basic premise about our Reality, it stands to reason that you and he would complement and help confirm one another's views.

Old 11-23-2020, 03:30 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,870,605 times
Yes. It led to my Christian faith.

Old 11-23-2020, 04:00 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,870,605 times
Atheists will always succeed in inspiring Theism. I know this not just from my own experience, but I remember sharing something here from a video blogger, and the guy posted an update a few days later saying that he had such a negative amount of atheist responses, that he was declaring himself an "ex atheist" or something to that effect. He no longer wanted to identify in that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality