Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2021, 09:37 AM

29,555 posts, read 9,765,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The difference between faith and insanity is that faith is the ability to hold firmly to a conclusion that is incompatible with the evidence that is inconclusive.
Whereas insanity is the ability to hold firmly to a conclusion that is incompatible with conclusive evidence.

~Mystic
To hold firmly to a conclusion that is incompatible with the evidence or based on evidence that is inconclusive requires faith. To avoid conclusion that is incompatible with the evidence or based on evidence that is inconclusive is prudent.

Definition of insanity...

the state of being seriously mentally ill; madness.

extreme foolishness or irrationality.

Which is the more prudent or foolish way to go? For all of us to judge as we will...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2021, 07:46 PM

50,089 posts, read 20,789,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The difference between faith and insanity is that faith is the ability to hold firmly to a conclusion that is incompatible with the evidence that is inconclusive.
Whereas insanity is the ability to hold firmly to a conclusion that is incompatible with conclusive evidence.

~Mystic
Uhhh... ...I think the idea was for quotes that everyone else can live by, not just quotes that You live by.

Old 03-09-2021, 09:10 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,235,946 times
"One must, at all costs, maintain."*

- Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

* Especially when under the influence of massive doses of the latest hallucinogenic substance and everyone in the suddenly-crowded room has turned into a buffalo or a bipedal lizard.

Old 03-10-2021, 04:21 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,613,075 times
Quote:
To me, faith is your belief that what you believe is true.

Old 03-10-2021, 04:29 AM

I reckon I understand it. Faith in defiance of all reason and evidence becomes it's own justification. And - in a perverse way - the more the evidence and reason the person disregards the better, stronger and purer the faith becomes.
Now, I don't do that. I may have hypotheses, beliefs and preferences but when they come under fire and start getting to shot to pieces, they slide down the credibility -scale until I have to say 'not credible enough.

Faith -belief works the other way. I think I understand it, I can't imagine doing it, but I see others do it. I have a theory... ...as to why. It makes one feel justified as a person with value in a world that doesn't care, mostly. There's also the handy add -on that it enables the believer to 'Win' any argument while losing every point.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 03-10-2021 at 04:39 AM..

Old 03-10-2021, 04:55 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,614,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I reckon I understand it. Faith in defiance of all reason and evidence becomes it's own justification. And - in a perverse way - the more the evidence and reason the person disregards the better, stronger and purer the faith becomes.
Now, I don't do that. I may have hypotheses, beliefs and preferences but when they come under fire and start getting to shot to pieces, they slide down the credibility -scale until I have to say 'not credible enough.

Faith -belief works the other way. I think I understand it, I can't imagine doing it, but I see others do it. I have a theory... ...as to why. It makes one feel justified as a person with value in a world that doesn't care, mostly. There's also the handy add -on that it enables the believer to 'Win' any argument while losing every point.
" ... 'Win' any argument while losing every point."

yup ... Back to the Santa analogy to demonstrate how faith fails. We do not know what put the toys there.

What put the toys there?

1-deity.
2-something alive.
3-something not alive.
4-lack belief.
5-add any others.

What ones lose every point and claims victory? I guess it depends on who's room you're in at night.

Old 03-10-2021, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
" ... 'Win' any argument while losing every point."

yup ... Back to the Santa analogy to demonstrate how faith fails. We do not know what put the toys there.

What put the toys there?

1-deity.
2-something alive.
3-something not alive.
4-lack belief.
5-add any others.

What ones lose every point and claims victory? I guess it depends on who's room you're in at night.
Your analogy is valid.
Who put they toys there?
parents,
but where did they get the toys?
a store
where did they get them?
the manufacturer
where did they get the stuff to make the toys?
....and so on back to cosmic origins.

A perfect analogy of materialist evolution vs goddunnit. Or Santa dunnit.

Old 03-10-2021, 06:18 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,613,075 times
Quote:
To me, faith is your belief that what you believe is true.

Old 03-10-2021, 06:24 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,614,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Your analogy is valid.
Who put they toys there?
parents,
but where did they get the toys?
a store
where did they get them?
the manufacturer
where did they get the stuff to make the toys?
....and so on back to cosmic origins.

A perfect analogy of materialist evolution vs goddunnit. Or Santa dunnit.
Like I said trans ... you know exactly what I talking about. Its just how I talk to people is not about stropping santa dunnit only. That is a political stance. Its about learning how to sort through the noise. thats a spirituality forum.

I apply the exact same logic to myself first ... then them. If we were I a different forum, I would be your best friend. But in this forum, its not about stopping religion. Its about something else.

Old 03-10-2021, 07:56 AM

16,813 posts, read 5,018,316 times
If you have to lie for your beliefs, that does not say much for your beliefs.

I think that was by a Yahoo Answers user called the Turin Shroud is Fake. And I think the original was rude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality