Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2021, 12:13 PM

50,926 posts, read 24,432,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
No, we don't really "KNOW" if God exists or not.

And this is the biggest question for humanity. What's after death?

And the answer is, NO ONE actually "knows".

Being an Atheist, do you "KNOW" that God, does "NOT" exist?

No you don't. You also have FAITH to believe that God does NOT exist.

Nobody has died and came back to life to let us know that he has seen God and hell and heaven, OR if they died and came back to life, and they saw nothing but a "void" after death, which is not possible either because to be able to experience the "void", you've gotta have consciousness and ability to perceive, up and running.

So we all actually have FAITH when it comes to attempting to answer the question, "what's after death"?

Some folks put their bets on the existence of God who they may meet after death, and there is probably a hell and a heaven, (all different kinds of religions), and some folks have a faith that there is no God, and it's going to be a void or a transition to another universe or whatever (all different flavors of Atheism), and some people are not bothered by this question (Agnostics).

Each to it's own.

So for those who choose to believe, may get into a secondary question. "Could their actions (good or bad) may have an effect on what's after death?
So if a believer thinks that his living a morally cautious and peaceful life is not only beneficial for humanity but it may also have an after life effect? then good for him. I don't see an issue with it.

And if a believer tries to avoid what's harmful to others thinking that not only it's beneficial towards the society and humanity but it also may have an effect on his after life, then good for him. No problem either.

Atheists who believe that there is a void after death, how would they know if they were right after they die?

What do you think?
I think you need to get it straight that most atheists do not say, "There is no god".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2021, 12:49 PM

63,903 posts, read 40,178,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think you need to get it straight that most atheists do not say, "There is no god".
But science is investigating what EXISTS. When atheists say there is no evidence of God what does that say about their belief about WHAT science is investigating and discovering evidence ABOUT?

Old 03-18-2021, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
But science is investigating what EXISTS. When atheists say there is no evidence of God what does that say about their belief about WHAT science is investigating and discovering evidence ABOUT?
I'm not going to play silly word games with you. I simply corrected what he seemed to be saying. Most atheists do not say there is definitely no god. They are more likely to say something like, "There is not enough evidence to say there is definitely a god" or "The evidence does not convince me there is a god".

Old 03-18-2021, 01:52 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,606,902 times
Quote:
I'm not going to play silly word games with you. I simply corrected what he seemed to be saying. Most atheists do not say there is definitely no god. They are more likely to say something like, "There is not enough evidence to say there is definitely a god" or "The evidence does not convince me there is a god".
And when there is enough ... get it silenced.

Old 03-18-2021, 01:56 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,606,902 times
Quote:
yup, God ios like dark matter. Something more is there.

What is it?

1-only black wholes (deity)
2-don;t know but its something.
3-Lack belief
4-we are fighting jerky black whole believers only so "something more is there" is meaningless and unwanted. And you we do not what your proof that something is there.

We are not saying nothing is there, but we deny everything because we have to stoop religion. SO there.

Old 03-18-2021, 02:06 PM

15,891 posts, read 6,354,476 times
Quote:

Nobody has died and came back to life to let us know that he has seen God and hell and heaven, OR if they died and came back to life, and they saw nothing but a "void" after death, which is not possible either because to be able to experience the "void", you've gotta have consciousness and ability to perceive, up and running.

So we all actually have FAITH when it comes to attempting to answer the question, "what's after death"?

Some folks put their bets on the existence of God who they may meet after death, and there is probably a hell and a heaven, (all different kinds of religions), and some folks have a faith that there is no God, and it's going to be a void or a transition to another universe or whatever (all different flavors of Atheism), and some people are not bothered by this question (Agnostics).

Each to it's own.

So for those who choose to believe, may get into a secondary question. "Could their actions (good or bad) may have an effect on what's after death?
So if a believer thinks that his living a morally cautious and peaceful life is not only beneficial for humanity but it may also have an after life effect? then good for him. I don't see an issue with it.

And if a believer tries to avoid what's harmful to others thinking that not only it's beneficial towards the society and humanity but it also may have an effect on his after life, then good for him. No problem either.

Atheists who believe that there is a void after death, how would they know if they were right after they die?

What do you think?
I don't know any of these answers and I'm suspicious of people who make knowledge positive claims.

I highly doubt there is a sentient creator. I mostly doubt anything survives death as I tend toward being a materialist.

Probably the thing I'm most certain of is it doesn't matter what I think. If there is a sentient creator I dont think my views on it matters to that creator. If there is some form of us that goes on then I shall go on. So its not really important to me to be right because nothing is riding on that.

Old 03-18-2021, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Quote:
It is not a silly word game to point out that when you say that "WHAT science is investigating and discovering evidence ABOUT" is NOT evidence of God, then that is taking a definite position on whether or not God exists because science only investigates what EXISTS!

Old 03-18-2021, 02:10 PM

Quote:
It is not a silly word game to point out that when you say that "WHAT science is investigating and discovering evidence ABOUT" is NOT evidence of God, then that is taking a definite position on whether or not God exists because science only investigates what EXISTS!
Not what my post was about.

I know...you just need a win.

Old 03-18-2021, 02:36 PM

11,058 posts, read 6,009,331 times
Quote:

Quite so.
Quote:

If someone believes God does not exist then yes, that would be 'faith' but the concept doesn't actually apply to the belief of absence. Belief of absence would actually be 'thinks that nothing exist to believe' or 'convinced that God does not exist'. That would be me. I am convinced the Abrahamic God does not exist. But, I do not know that as a fact. The only 'belief' involved in my case is an absence of belief. I do not have or need faith to be convinced.

Quote:
Believing something to be, means not knowing. So if they knew then they would not believe. They would know.

Quote:
We all? Not I. I simply do not know. I am not convinced either way. I do however 'believe' that NDE's are generated by the brain, in the brain.

Old 03-18-2021, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
I do however 'believe' that NDE's are generated by the brain, in the brain.
You seem to think this is a relevant criterion to judge the validity or reality of experiences, 303. Can you tell me what experiences you think are NOT generated in the brain by the brain?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality