Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2021, 06:08 PM

1,912 posts, read 1,131,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
Religion must not be very convincing. Are the majority of American just now realizing it’s just a fairy tale?

In 2020, 47% of U.S. adults belonged to a church, synagogue or mosque
Down more than 20 points from turn of the century
Change primarily due to rise in Americans with no religious preference

https://news.gallup.com/poll/341963/...irst-time.aspx
As someone who attends church multiple times per week, I think that churches clearly just aren't meeting the needs of people, particularly younger people. They don't ask much of people and so lives aren't transformed as they could be, and the activities at church often aren't really relevant for people's lives.

There is no better "product" than the Gospel; churches just need to do a better job putting it into practice.

Even if someone rejects Christianity, surely losing a nationwide institution that brings people together on a regular basis and performs a lot of charity work isn't a good thing.

We've seen how ugly politics and current events have been in the past few years, and the fringes of politics, at least on the right, are supported by people who are not associated with churches (it's true- regular church attenders, particularly in mainline denominations, are less likely to have supported certain candidates who are viewed as hateful and divisive). The void formerly filled by church life won't necessarily be filled by anything better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2021, 06:21 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,607,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
READ THIS^^^!
See, this may not be my Beliefs...but there is no way I cannot view this as a beautiful thing.
I have been reading this members posts since I joined this Forum...and I do not doubt that her current Beliefs enrich her life and enhance her human existence.
I could never be critical of it or of her for embracing this worldview.
If ya all kept it in your pants there’d be no issue

So to speak

Old 05-30-2021, 06:34 PM

50,859 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPNative View Post
We've seen how ugly politics and current events have been in the past few years, and the fringes of politics, at least on the right, are supported by people who are not associated with churches (it's true- regular church attenders, particularly in mainline denominations, are less likely to have supported certain candidates who are viewed as hateful and divisive). The void formerly filled by church life won't necessarily be filled by anything better.
I think you're way off here.

Old 05-30-2021, 09:22 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,699,775 times
Millennial here.... literally no millennials I know are religious or attend church of any houses of worship.. despite being raised in a religious house.
I myself included... raised catholic.... don't consider myself religious or catholic. My kids too.. didn't want them raised in such a ridiculous institution. I'm not atheist, but certainly not going to participate in organized religion. Filled with so many hypocrites, phoneys, and willfully ignorant people. Happy to see others are dropping organized religion, makes my heart smile.

Old 05-30-2021, 10:29 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,598,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basiliximab View Post
Yes, they realize that much of what is passed off as "church" is a fairy tale. A lot of churches aren't speaking the full gospel from the Bible and are trying to figure out ways to "draw a crowd" (and not talk about sin, judgment of God and hell); the results are telling, as your poll shows--they realize that once you commit your life to God it's not all happy-happy-happy all the time and your life is free of all troubles and you get all the health and wealth you want if you just pray hard enough for God to give it to you. Plus, this country has turned away from the Lord amidst all the blessings of prosperity and comfort that he has showered upon us. So this is his judgment.

But the Lord preserves a remnant and I am happy to be a part of his eternal family, one whom he has called out of the fire--one who was just as vicious and rebellious to God as much the rest of the nation is. Yet he makes this wretch his treasure. How in the world can anyone turn away from such a merciful Lord and Saviour? But I did most my life myself, so I do know how it can be. I just can't understand it now that I know him, my beloved Lord and Saviour Jesus.
Or, maybe it's because people finally realize all the bad things in the bible, like how it's OK to own human beings, how to properly beat them, how to deceive them to being your slave forever even if they are Hebrews, you know, immoral things like that. No talk about owning human beings being not allowed, but man, if you want to eat shrimp, you are in deep scat!

Oh, and then of course it's not just the OT. Jesus thinks it's a good idea to use slavery in a parable, and what was the name of that slave who was told to go back to his master? Ahhhh.. yeah, I remember now, Onesimus. Cool story, huh?

Of course there is all that discrimination against women and homosexuals and other people who are not male, right? How wonderful your lord feels that way, no?

Old 05-31-2021, 12:03 AM

16,786 posts, read 4,992,682 times
Quote:
Yes.
The Anti-Religionists note & cheer a downturn in church membership/attendance because they believe it is a blow to Religion and Theism, that they hate.
That you see everything in terms of hate is a projection of your insecurity, as is your need to misrepresent all the time.

With posters like you, no wonder others are relieved more people are thinking rationally and rejecting strange beliefs that are often used to make those at the top rich.

Quote:
But it will actually make for a better Theological experience...and could eliminate the aspects of it that infiltrated the base Ideology and in many ways was toxic to it.
Yet when we point out the toxic side, you attack US as anti-religionists. Why are you mocking and insulting those believers who want to follow a toxic religion? Why are you so inconsistent in your arguments?

Quote:
Get back to the pure philosophical enrichment provided by the concepts.
The Theologies will be stronger and of better quality in the long run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv4PFgOmAsI

Old 05-31-2021, 03:31 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,607,249 times
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Another devastating blow to gldn

Old 05-31-2021, 06:51 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,591,051 times
actually it is not. if we look at what he actually saying.

gld always brings up the bad part of religion. He addresses both the positive and negative impacts of religion's influence. He basically takes an "absolute value" look at religion.

Where he differs from the anti-anything religious 's (better stated as people from abroad trying to push an agenda) is that he address the good also and just doesn't deny everything and put down believers to put forth a political agenda in a non political forum.

The simple fact remains, believing in something is more rational than deny everything and anti-god. If we don't know what we are talking about is when self awareness comes in. And, of course, rigorous honesty in the mirror.

bigots are bigots no matter what they believe. how would a atheist bigot behave. well, just list the traits of what we would call a bigot and predict it. Of course, as stated, that doesn't get us anywhere. wee have people suffering some ptsd (minus the gore) from religion. They are not the most reliable people it determining how we fight irrational beliefs in a non political forum.

Old 05-31-2021, 06:53 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,591,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Millennial here.... literally no millennials I know are religious or attend church of any houses of worship.. despite being raised in a religious house.
I myself included... raised catholic.... don't consider myself religious or catholic. My kids too.. didn't want them raised in such a ridiculous institution. I'm not atheist, but certainly not going to participate in organized religion. Filled with so many hypocrites, phoneys, and willfully ignorant people. Happy to see others are dropping organized religion, makes my heart smile.
^^^this ^^^

again, belief in something is different than following a religion. Belief than we are part of a larger more complex system is far more rational than deny everything to change America.

rational people can keep them separated. Maybe a better way to state it is emotionally mature/stable people.

Old 05-31-2021, 01:52 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,656,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
That you see everything in terms of hate is a projection of your insecurity, as is your need to misrepresent all the time.

With posters like you, no wonder others are relieved more people are thinking rationally and rejecting strange beliefs that are often used to make those at the top rich.

Yet when we point out the toxic side, you attack US as anti-religionists. Why are you mocking and insulting those believers who want to follow a toxic religion? Why are you so inconsistent in your arguments?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv4PFgOmAsI
That video is indicative of your mentality...and your insults & mocking of the Religious.
I see hate where it is...like in someone that would put in the time & effort to put up thousands of posts on a internet forum bashing strangers for embracing and endorsing the title subject of the forum. That takes deep-seated hate.
I do admit that I hate hatred. I'm also biased against bias.
I do not mock and insult those that follow any Religion. I note that there are entities (with a desire for power & riches) that have infiltrated Theologies and have polluted them...and it would be beneficial to the Theologies and the Adherents if they fell by the wayside along with their negative influence. I have sympathy, not insults, for those taken advantage of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality