Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2021, 08:40 AM

154 posts, read 75,356 times

Advertisements

I have read that there are people who follow the Hindu religion that claim that original Hinduism was a form of pure monotheism, that changed over time whereby monotheism was reflected in qualities that became identified as separate gods. I don't know how true this is, but it is an interesting idea, as to whether Brahma, Vishnu, Shiva, and other gods are merely considered by Hindus to be qualities of the One God. Is this what was taught by people in what is called Vedanta such as Swami Vivekananda?
Is anyone familiar with two movements in India that have wanted to emphasize monotheism called Brahmo Samaj and Arye Samaj?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2021, 10:10 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,633,691 times
I always thought of it as one god, many facets. The parts (facets) may not look like they relate to each other until the whole thing is seen. Just like there is one you, but many parts. Those blind men fondling elephants comes to mind.

But I an no expert.

Old 07-29-2021, 02:35 PM

19,127 posts, read 27,743,434 times
Everything is dream of Brahma. Hence, whatever you worship, your worship Brahma.
Not all rather complex concepts may be understood by everyone. For some, Brahma is easy concept for others - soil that gives crop or ocean that gives fish or cow that give smilk or sex that gives birth or pleasure, are equivalent gods.

Old 07-29-2021, 04:06 PM

154 posts, read 75,356 times
I don't think that answer addresses my question.........

Old 07-29-2021, 04:51 PM

I think, it does quite well. There's ONE "deity" in Hinduism, represented by a pantheon of "gods" for any choice and fancy. That does not change the base line - EEVRYTHING is dream of sleeping Brahma.
You can look at it this way. There's only one eternal Consciousness that gives birth to everything. The rest is only its emanations, in forms various.
Can't make is any simpler. As I said, some concepts, no matter how simple they might be, may not be easily grasped.

Old 07-29-2021, 06:37 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,633,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I think, it does quite well. There's ONE "deity" in Hinduism, represented by a pantheon of "gods" for any choice and fancy. That does not change the base line - EEVRYTHING is dream of sleeping Brahma.
You can look at it this way. There's only one eternal Consciousness that gives birth to everything. The rest is only its emanations, in forms various.
Can't make is any simpler. As I said, some concepts, no matter how simple they might be, may not be easily grasped.
This is only a faith statement.

Old 07-29-2021, 08:02 PM

22,628 posts, read 19,342,932 times
Quote:
yes.

Old 07-30-2021, 09:11 PM

You see, we agree just fine.

And for those, who still do not understand, what I said.
In respect to only ONE source being origin to everything, Hinduism is a mono theistic faith. In its core principle.
But, just like in Christianity, where there are I lost count how many denominations, sects, groups, lines, deviations, heresies, you name it - Hinduism is poly theistic in its personal paths of worship.

Namaste

Old 07-30-2021, 10:42 PM

16,119 posts, read 7,114,850 times
Quote:
You see, we agree just fine.

And for those, who still do not understand, what I said.
In respect to only ONE source being origin to everything, Hinduism is a mono theistic faith. In its core principle.
But, just like in Christianity, where there are I lost count how many denominations, sects, groups, lines, deviations, heresies, you name it - Hinduism is poly theistic in its personal paths of worship.

Namaste
It is monism. But i am not sure what the difference is.

Old 08-01-2021, 10:47 AM

5,527 posts, read 3,275,613 times
Personally I find it doubtful that Hinduism began as a monotheistic religion. Religions tend to move from polytheism to monotheism, not the reverse. A very early animist religion would have gods for many things, and only after reflection, systematization, and probably encounters with foreign gods did people find it necessary to begin ordering gods in a pantheon, and later on reducing all gods to one.

However if there is evidence that Hinduism bucks this trend I'd be open to it. I'm basing my opinion mainly on western religions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality