Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2021, 11:42 AM

63,995 posts, read 40,286,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
It is monism. But i am not sure what the difference is.
The difference is the absence of theism or God, per se. At most, it could be considered MonoDeist because of the complete lack of Godly intervention in human affairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2021, 01:06 PM

16,135 posts, read 7,119,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Personally I find it doubtful that Hinduism began as a monotheistic religion. Religions tend to move from polytheism to monotheism, not the reverse. A very early animist religion would have gods for many things, and only after reflection, systematization, and probably encounters with foreign gods did people find it necessary to begin ordering gods in a pantheon, and later on reducing all gods to one.

However if there is evidence that Hinduism bucks this trend I'd be open to it. I'm basing my opinion mainly on western religions.
It is not monotheistic as it is not based on a creator god as in Christianity. It is not polytheistic, it believes all things are representation of the divine. The five elements for instance, sun, earth, water, air, and space are all aspects of the same divinity, and are personified and worshiped for their divine attributes. Advaita, the nondual philosophy aspect of Hindusim, is monism, where there is no duality between the divine and the self. there is only one self, a single consciousness.

Old 08-01-2021, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The difference is the absence of theism or God, per se. At most, it could be considered MonoDeist because of the complete lack of Godly intervention in human affairs.
Hinduism is divided into dualism and nondualism, but the separation is fluid. It recognizes different paths to realization including Bhakti which is pure devotion and a loving relationship with god.

Old 08-04-2021, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Hinduism is divided into dualism and nondualism, but the separation is fluid. It recognizes different paths to realization including Bhakti which is pure devotion and a loving relationship with god.
I can relate to that. Not everyone will approach the issue of God intellectually and God would not demand it. In fact, in my view of God as agape love, that would be an excellent way to relate.

Old 08-04-2021, 10:29 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,106,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duvduv View Post
I have read that there are people who follow the Hindu religion that claim that original Hinduism was a form of pure monotheism, that changed over time whereby monotheism was reflected in qualities that became identified as separate gods. I don't know how true this is, but it is an interesting idea, as to whether Brahma, Vishnu, Shiva, and other gods are merely considered by Hindus to be qualities of the One God. Is this what was taught by people in what is called Vedanta such as Swami Vivekananda?
Is anyone familiar with two movements in India that have wanted to emphasize monotheism called Brahmo Samaj and Arye Samaj?
I have posted this video a few time.
I think this is our best bet since we may not have a concrete historical evidence on the origins of Hinduism.
I wonder if a follower of Hinduism was even called a “Hindu†in the early centuries of its origin?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx9OWjO97rk

Old 08-05-2021, 02:16 PM

154 posts, read 75,377 times
What Mr. Locks does not discuss is the fact that what anyone would be interested in is not what is lived by the vast majority of what are called Orthodox Jews. And since he mentions the Arjun and Krishna, he should have at least mentioned that Krishna is believed to be the material incarnation of a god called Vishnu.

Most people have to end up finding out that living in the 21st century in modern metropolitan societies makes an ascetic, or semi-ascetic lifestyle virtually impossible. Given the fact that most of what is called today Orthodox or even chassidic Judaism is composed of about 75% non-binding stringencies and customs, it goes far beyond what is required by the teachings of the Talmud. In any event, one still has to find out why believers in Hindu religion need to be attached to what appears to be polytheistic religious beliefs when belief in a single one omniscient and omnipotent Almighty God is perfectly sufficient and simple. How the Vedic teachings would fit in I have no idea.

Old 08-05-2021, 05:18 PM

Quote:
I can relate to that. Not everyone will approach the issue of God intellectually and God would not demand it. .
Hinduism recognizes that we all have different capabilities, tendencies, all governed and conditioned by karma. There are 4 paths to enlightenment. Through work (observance of religious rites and rituals), knowledge (intellectual such as advaita), bhakti/devotion, and through Raja yoga, meditation. All paths lead to god.
I think we can see philosopher and seers in every religion who adopted one of these paths. The vedantists were the intellectuals. The sufi saints such as Rumi of the Bhakti tradition. Buddha of Raja yoga. Some could be a combination.

Old 08-05-2021, 07:01 PM

Quote:
I can relate to that. Not everyone will approach the issue of God intellectually and God would not demand it. In fact, in my view of God as agape love, that would be an excellent way to relate.
Quote:
Hinduism recognizes that we all have different capabilities, tendencies, all governed and conditioned by karma. There are 4 paths to enlightenment. Through work (observance of religious rites and rituals), knowledge (intellectual such as Advaita), bhakti/devotion, and through Raja yoga, meditation. All paths lead to god.
I think we can see philosophers and seers in every religion who adopted one of these paths. The vedantists were the intellectuals. The Sufi saints such as Rumi of the Bhakti tradition. Buddha of Raja yoga. Some could be a combination.
We are on the same wavelength, CB, except for your acceptance of the esoteric "woo" about the Oneness being unchanging, timeless, etc.

Old 08-05-2021, 09:39 PM

Quote:
We are on the same wavelength, CB, except for your acceptance of the esoteric "woo" about the Oneness being unchanging, timeless, etc.
Mystic, if you get over the esoterica that distances you, you are sure to understand the Oneness that transcends time and space, has no origin, infinite as it neither grows nor shrinks. Make friends with the esoteric, it holds much wisdom.

Old 08-06-2021, 10:47 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,635,672 times
Quote:
Mystic, if you get over the esoterica that distances you, you are sure to understand the Oneness that transcends time and space, has no origin, infinite as it neither grows nor shrinks. Make friends with the esoteric, it holds much wisdom.
There is no need to anchor the belief in an unknown. Its just not a good hinge point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality