Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2021, 04:05 PM

1,754 posts, read 755,800 times

Advertisements

There is more that unifies us.

Almost all of us no matter our religion or lack there of want inalienable rights, freedom, order, and peace. To live our lives without true oppression. Almost all of us believe in charity.

We all have that warm blood flowing through us, that heart beating that wants a better life for our child, our brain firing wanting to do more, our hands that can get tired, but willing to do more.

Division, blood, and salacious scandals sell in the news...there is no "war on atheists" or "war on Christians" inside the US. Small differences are blown up to get clicks. Extreme examples of the fringe are painted as the mainstream.

I will love and serve all people of all faiths or lack there of. I hope you all feel the same way too.

So...focus on what unites us and what connects us. The "war" is in our heads' imagination, but can seep into our thoughts and actions...poisoning them. Be pure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2021, 04:33 PM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post

Almost all of us no matter our religion or lack there of want inalienable rights, freedom, order, and peace. To live our lives without true oppression. Almost all of us believe in charity.

We all have that warm blood flowing through us, that heart beating that wants a better life for our child, our brain firing wanting to do more, our hands that can get tired, but willing to do more.

Division, blood, and salacious scandals sell in the news...there is no "war on atheists" or "war on Christians" inside the US. Small differences are blown up to get clicks. Extreme examples of the fringe are painted as the mainstream.

I will love and serve all people of all faiths or lack there of. I hope you all feel the same way too.

So...focus on what unites us and what connects us. The "war" is in our heads' imagination, but can seep into our thoughts and actions...poisoning them. Be pure.

Old 09-14-2021, 04:58 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,350,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post

We are all human beings. And this little speck of a planet is the only place in a unimaginably large universe where we exist. Understanding that should be reason enough to be unified.

Old 09-14-2021, 04:59 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,584,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
We are all human beings. And this little speck of a planet is the only place in a unimaginably large universe where we exist. Understanding that should be reason enough to be unified.
"Size" is an issue. Not that we are acting more like a unit than not. Thats what the science points to anyway.

Old 09-14-2021, 05:22 PM

11,103 posts, read 7,164,275 times
Great thread. Looking around, there's way to much talk and energy on how we're supposedly so different. Vast amounts of energy go into that, day in and day out.

And yet, what I mostly see is just how similar we all are. And that aspect is what really counts.

Old 09-14-2021, 05:25 PM

50,830 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Great thread. Looking around, there's way to much talk and energy on how we're supposedly so different. Vast amounts of energy go into that, day in and day out.

And yet, what I mostly see is just how similar we all are. And that's really what counts.
It's a nice sentiment. But I don't see it as true. First of all, we're not all christians. Some of us are atheists, and/or Buddhist, or Hindu, or...

But even among chrsitians there is a disdain for going to any church but their own.

Old 09-14-2021, 05:28 PM

11,103 posts, read 7,164,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It's a nice sentiment. But I don't see it as true. First of all, we're not all christians. Some of us are atheists, and/or Buddhist, or Hindu, or... But even among chrsitians there is a disdain for going to any church but their own.
LOL Phet! My comments had nothing to do with thought, belief, and theology (or lack thereof) I was thinking about all the human aspects we share (bodies, emotions, needs, birth, growth, decay, death, etc.), much of what we share with animals and other forms of life on earth.

I didn't think I'd really have to go into detail, and that people would knee-jerk assumption into a completely different angle along religious / non-religious lines. It's funny how you jumped aboard one of those bandwagons focusing on differences, even when explicitly discussing the need for the opposite approach. Dude - Towel off, pour some wine, and get some fresh air.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 09-14-2021 at 06:10 PM..

Old 09-14-2021, 05:38 PM

63,817 posts, read 40,099,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
LOL Phet! My comments had nothing to do with thought, belief, and theology (or lack thereof)

I was thinking about our human aspects (bodies, emotions, needs, birth, growth, decay, death, etc.), much of what we share with animals and other forms of life on earth. I didn't think I'd really have to go into detail, and that people would knee-jerk assumption into a completely different angle along religious / non-religious lines. I'm sure QB and the others though didn't jump to that conclusion.
The burr up Phet's behind, his particular itch that he is always scratching, is Christian proselytizing because he was victimized by it for a good portion of his life.

Old 09-14-2021, 05:38 PM

15,971 posts, read 7,032,343 times
Default What divides us is not religion.

I don't think religion divides us as much as other things.
Religion has evolved. Within religions be it Islam, Hinduism, Christianity, there is more agreement about spirituality, personal seeking, rather than adherence textual dogmas. There is interest in learning about other religions. Many are unaffiliated with any religion, more so in other advanced countries than in the US, but even here it is the trend.
Racism, misogyny, class and wealth, gender wars, lack of education and xenophobia. These are the factors that divide us. These are based on irrational beliefs and can fan highly emotional response. And so easy to fan for political purpose.
It is not difficult to overcome this kind of division if left to our own devises, without getting all politicized.

Old 09-14-2021, 05:48 PM

50,830 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The burr up Phet's behind, his particular itch that he is always scratching, is Christian proselytizing because he was victimized by it for a good portion of his life.
If you think we're all one...then why don't you stop putting people down?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality